RubberBullets

Safe shopping (again) Opinions

So after a horrendous bout with Lowes and my failed purchase of a Liberty Colonial 30. I have hit the safe market again and this time I am upping my budget. My size requirements are 36-39"x60"+, fire rating preferably 45-60 mins+. Must be black in color, and have an electronic lock (dial purists need not chime in) If it has a keyed back up it would be a plus but not necessary. My max budget is $2000 delivered

I am currently eying the Patriot Safe Collector 1hr :

http://www.patriotsa...ion-_p_488.html

I have a few specific questions before I settle on them regarding the construction i.e. "4 gauge door" being plated or just a total of 4 gauge worth of steel in different layers of the door, the bolt placement and active vs static etc.

The second is an Amsec SF6036:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002MMIL5K

Im all down for the name that comes with Amsec, but for 2k and a 1/4 plate steel door, the body is only 12 gauge. Kind of disappointing. The next tier up from this in a similar size is another thousand dollars.

Lastly, and not likely is the Liberty Franklin 35:

http://tinyurl.com/bthsgcu (gander mountain)

(gander mountain id cheat a little on the price. I believe id actually drive over to the nearest one and have them forklift it onto my truck)

I had a shabby experience with Liberty. Lowes themselves dropped the ball so many times it is almost hard to forget that a locking bolt fell out of the door and was sitting on the floor of the safe let alone the other two I had to hand tighten. There is also about a 3/8" gap between door and frame which really doesnt sit well with me for it being a composite door. So while im not sure if the Franklin is a huge step up, I'm leary on taking the chance again on company so backlogged they are sacrificing quality for quantity.

So there it is. If there is any insight, or alternate solutions you may know of within my price point please let me know. This whole safe ordeal has gone on for 3 months and im not ready to go through that nonsense again. If there is anything I didnt take into consideration with my selections chime in. Im new to the safe game. Although ive done my research as to what to look for in a safe, I am also looking for the best price for the amount of safe I want. Thanks ;)

You're right I should add them to the list. A little lacking on the exterior aesthetics, but certainly a quality name in the safe world. I will include that in my comparison.

Edit* Sadly the Sturdy series spec'd in a comparable configuration weighs in at about $2500. I simpply cant get myself to go that high. :(

30 min fire rating.

If i go back to 12 gauge models I think my budget would be 1000-1500, but for 11gauge and up id drop the 2k. I just found out there's a tractor supply right off 195 by me. Might take a trip tomorrow and see if they have any larger safes

I ended up buying a Bighorn from Costco over a year ago and I am happy with it. Mine is 36" wide, 70" high and 24" deep with electronic lock and weighs 800lbs. It's either 60 or 90 min fire protection.It wasn't a bad price with shipping included, paid $900 shipped on sale. The only draw back was it took 3 months to get it delivered, while that was within the time frame promised it sucks waiting when you need/ want it. The only thing I don't like about it is the left side the way the gun racks are set up, I reconfigured it to a more accesible way to get my guns in and out, Over all for the price it was worth it. I originally was looking at Cannon safes from Costco and all the reviews panned them, a safe the same size as i got from Cannon weighed only 420 lbs and was the same price, all reviews said it was cheap flimsy steel

I have the Patriot Safes Protector with the upgrade package: extra door hinge (3), extra bolts (14), interior lighting and supposedly 2 hour 1880 degree fire rating. Bought it in 2009 for $1800+ shipped. Wish I went with the collector as I have run out of room. Only had 2 handguns and 1 rifle when I bought it.

Can't answer your question about the quality of the door, but I have been very happy with the safe and the customer service when I had a question. I even had one of the blue bulbs burn out and called them to ask where to get them and they sent me 2 new bulbs.

As far as the bolts, mine has 5 static on the inside of the door, 5 active on the opening side and 2 active top and bottom.

I have the Patriot Safes Protector with the upgrade package: extra door hinge (3), extra bolts (14), interior lighting and supposedly 2 hour 1880 degree fire rating. Bought it in 2009 for $1800+ shipped. Wish I went with the collector as I have run out of room. Only had 2 handguns and 1 rifle when I bought it.

Can't answer your question about the quality of the door, but I have been very happy with the safe and the customer service when I had a question. I even had one of the blue bulbs burn out and called them to ask where to get them and they sent me 2 new bulbs.

Sadly, they do not make the collector 1 hr anymore. As per Patriot they are moving to 2.5 hr fire safes only. I called to clarify a few questions and place the order. Very sad. I would have bought the 1 hr collector right then and there. The 2.5 hr fire model in the same size is 500-600 more.