Little Red Rooster

Fly Fishing - Trout - North Jersey

So I went to the Ken Lockwood Gorge this weekend for the first time ever. I love to fly fish, however, never do it enough in my opinion.

I've been lucky enough to fish the Big Sky region in Montana on several ocassions over the last few years, but unfortunately have never done enough fishing in my home state! I have fished the Black River in Somerset and parts of the North Branch of the Raritan in Peapack/Mendham through a buddies private membership to that section of the river.

Anyways, this was my first time visiting "the Gorge" this weekend (both Sat and Sun) and I was very impressed that there is such quality waters, trout and access here in Northern NJ.

Has anyone else been to the Gorge?

Any other places I should check out in the area?

I love the Gorge. I especially appreciate the lack of bucket brigade. The TCA status attracts mainly catch and release anglers, who tend to be a bit easier to fish with. It's also nice that there's a private club downstream, so I'm sure we benefit from spillover from their stocking.

I have noticed over the past few year that the bottom has gotten more sandy, which worries me.

I fish the Gorge on a regular basis. for a few years I even worked where I could see the gorge from my work place and fished it almost everyday after work. I try to go on weekdays though because the weekends can get crowded. you can go up stream to the other TCA the Claremont TCA which is right below another private club. I don't fly fish that much for trout I usually spin fish but no bait lure only and I almost always C/R. If you are interested in fishing some smaller streams and creeks in the hunterdon county and sommerset county area PM me and I can meet up with you and show you around. But some of the placeses I fish are too small and tight to fly fish and can only be spin fished.

Have fished it for the last 15 yrs..........it's the only place that lets you forget your actually in New Jersey......just beautiful and in the Fall there's practically no one there.

you should see it in the winter there has been many times when I had the entire 2 mile stretch to my self

I have never made it to the Gorge yet. It's still on my list of things to do. But, I have heard it's very good from a friend with TU.

Try the Big Flat Brook, although it can get crowded at times. Fish the Blewett Tract of the BFB, which is the fly-fishing only stretch. I fished the Paulinskill when I had some private access to farms as a kid but not anymore. The Pequest is not bad either. Weekdays are better obviously. During fall and winter you may be the only person on the stream if you fish the BFB. The TCA areas are nice and some remote. Fish may not be big but they are selective and wild.

Big Flatbrook..............don't want to share the water with Bears unless I'm armed.

I just carry a whistle and when I see a bear I just blow the whistle and they go running. One even turned around so fast that it slammed its side into a small tree hard enough to make it grown. I was laughing so hard I almost pissed in my waders! I have never had a problem with the bears on BFB or Stokes SP or anywhere else for that matter.

I find the beavers that swim back and forth under those deep, undercuts banks and bump into your leg occasionally while you're wading is more unnerving.

+1 LOL i had that happen to me just as the sun was going down and I almost walked on water getting the hell out of there because i did not know what had just hit me.

I'm not much of a fisherman but i did have an interesting conversation with an angler up by ringwood manor in ringwood. He told me the river is stocked with trout, although i can't remember when he said this was done. He also mentioned that waywayanda state park has landlocked salmon but a special permit is needed for that. I hike there alot and noticed it gets pretty crowded during the summer weekends.

Sshhhhh, but there are a good number of wild trout streams (brooks actually) in the area of Voorhees SP, Spruce Run, and Round Valley. They hold beautiful little wild brookies and browns. Also, if you follow the S Branch Raritan up to where it makes a left (west) turn up into the hills it becomes a great little white water stream that is full of riffles, falls, and pools.

Sshhhhh, but there are a good number of wild trout streams (brooks actually) in the area of Voorhees SP, Spruce Run, and Round Valley. They hold beautiful little wild brookies and browns. Also, if you follow the S Branch Raritan up to where it makes a left (west) turn up into the hills it becomes a great little white water stream that is full of riffles, falls, and pools.

There are two streams in Bergen County (of all places) that hold natives as well. Sssssshhhhhhh

There are two streams in Bergen County (of all places) that hold natives as well. Sssssshhhhhhh

I know one of them (grew up in Bergen). Many many moons ago I was hiking up a trail next to this creek and crossing over it when I got the poop scared outa me by spooking a 12 incher in a pool. I could not believe such a bigun was living in such a small creek.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm cruising the fishing topics and thought I'd just add that I love the gorge as it's very similar to the stretch of the Bushkill in PA that served as my fly school. A friend if mine local to the gorge took me up there years ago and I've been "hooked" ever since! Great area! Too bad there aren't more like it. I'd love to learn more about other areas of that river some day. I fly and spin cast.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm cruising the fishing topics and thought I'd just add that I love the gorge as it's very similar to the stretch of the Bushkill in PA that served as my fly school. A friend if mine local to the gorge took me up there years ago and I've been "hooked" ever since! Great area! Too bad there aren't more like it. I'd love to learn more about other areas of that river some day. I fly and spin cast.

Hit me up when ever you want to go. I grew up in the area and still live there and fish the area regularly. I don't fly fish for trout though only spin fish. Also just a little FYI for you guys who fish the gorge. As of 2014 it will be catch and release only!!! Its been a long time coming and I am very happy about this now lets hope that they will enforce the new regulations.  

Excellent news!

Is there any decent place around Flemington to launch my kayak? I like the looks of the area around Rockerfeller's, but don't know about that stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plenty of places

Excellent news!

Is there any decent place around Flemington to launch my kayak? I like the looks of the area around Rockerfeller's, but don't know about that stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are a bunch of places. I have put in in high bridge before and pulled out a bit above Rockefellers at the old Lipton factory. But the best trout fishing is upstream from the dam in Clinton. Around Flemington the south branch is best for small mouth. From packers island down to the old dam by the Lipton factory is a killer stretch for small mouth. Bring a ultralight action rod and you will swear you are fighting bluefish! I bring my 5" fenwick ultralight and have hooked into some 4+ pound fish its a great time. Also at packers island there is a very short trail with a mud hole that goes back to the river that you can take your jeep on and park right next to the river to launch. 

Yes there are a bunch of places. I have put in in high bridge before and pulled out a bit above Rockefellers at the old Lipton factory. But the best trout fishing is upstream from the dam in Clinton. Around Flemington the south branch is best for small mouth. From packers island down to the old dam by the Lipton factory is a killer stretch for small mouth. Bring a ultralight action rod and you will swear you are fighting bluefish! I bring my 5" fenwick ultralight and have hooked into some 4+ pound fish its a great time. Also at packers island there is a very short trail with a mud hole that goes back to the river that you can take your jeep on and park right next to the river to launch. 

4+?!?! Even if you include the standard 'fisherman's exageration factor', that's still monstrous! And to think, I have driven by/over that stretch dozens of times on my way to Round Valley to catch smallies.

Thanks Fishnut.