JrzyGuy30

Hypothetical question for LE/police officers

For any law enforcement officers to answer.

Scenario: If you were going house to house for either a search for possibly someone that was running around the neighborhood or because somebody had complained of noise or something frivolous or maybe serving a notice for something (who knows) - and the homeowner opens the door to answer your knock (this is NJ and like maybe in a nice suburban neighborhood), and he had a pistol holstered on his side (Not touching it and Not in his/her hand), how would you react? What could or would happen?

It was a scenario that crossed my mind and I feel most of these new young cops running through my neighborhood would not react or know how to respond with that... Curious to know!

Back in the days that I opened my door, I had two separate cops and one fed show up at my house.  The fed was doing a background check for a security clearance on somebody in the area.  All of them noticed my sidearm and none of them reacted out of the ordinary.

BTW, merit points for them actually NOTICING.  

I've run into dozens of cops (and even Secret Service) carrying in public in three states and none of them did anything either.  So I would feel pretty offended if they made a big deal about it after knocking on the door to my home.

I always wondered this myself as I sometimes carry in my house. I also always wondered, since you are allowed to carry in your property here in NJ (please confirm?), can you also carry outside in your front lawn in plain view of other people?

One day not too long ago I was open carrying my pistol while I was in the house and I went out to the garage for a second to get something. Only when I got back did I realize that I had walked outside with my sidearm in plain view and wondered if my neighbors or people walking by saw me and what their reactions would have been.

If you own the land you can carry is what I wa told. Do it at your own discretion though who knows what your neighbors opinions on the subject are. Personally id feel safer

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

You can view answers to this in the Boston Bombing thread.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I've been searching for a while, do you know which of the many threads about the Boston incident had the discussion pertaining to the OP's question? thanks in advance!

I guess the next question is... barring a report of some deranged individual roaming the neighborhood or a Boston like scenario, why would you feel the need to carry in your own home? Is your surroundings so sketchy as to require you being armed at all times?

I get it ....guns are cool, you endured so much to own one and CCW is all but absent in this state but walking around in your own home with your cool Glock strapped to your waist in an environment that is supposed to be safe and relaxed strikes me as overkill,obsessive and quite frankly childish.

I guess the next question is... barring a report of some deranged individual roaming the neighborhood or a Boston like scenario, why would you feel the need to carry in your own home? Is your surroundings so sketchy as to require you being armed at all times?

I get it ....guns are cool, you endured so much to own one and CCW is all but absent in this state but walking around in your own home with your cool Glock strapped to your waist in an environment that is supposed to be safe and relaxed strikes me as overkill,obsessive and quite frankly childish.

This is hypothetical. No need to be choleric.

No one said anything about being "cool" and having a HG strapped to your side to be badass. Maybe it's a woman whose had a bad ex show up at her house before during that time of day or a homeowner who was just trying out his new holster in the hall and decided to keep it on while answering his front door?

Anyways- still waiting for an LE or an Officer to answer this question. :)

Because I'm not expecting trouble. If I was expecting trouble, I'd be carrying a rifle or a shotgun. Unfortunately, trouble doesn't seem to come when I expect it.

well here's a scenario where coming to the door with a firearm might make sense. never get surprise visits. If someone is coming to my house they usually call or have been invited. So if someone knocks at my door unexpectedly I really have no idea who it might be. Depending on the time of day or more specifically the time of night, I might holster a weapon, concealed, prior to opening the door.

In that case why bother having a home defense firearm at all?

That's the way I feel too. That is why I'd rather stage weapons rather than wear them... I will not act or treat my residence as a 24/7 safe house. It is not a prison and I will not make myself uncomfortable. I walk around comfortable in my gym shorts. No place to carry a weapon. At least not comfortably. I do not care if I'm allowed to or not. It's just insane.

IF, as you say a deranged maniac is around, I might move a staged weapon to a closer reach, but that may not happen either. My locked house is my first line of defense. That's the way it should be. I do not live in a bad area where carrying might be a better solution.

Finally, I carried for many years. I never thought it was 'cool'.. While it was necessary, it was a hassle. It was a tool of the trade that I wish was not necessary.

This is just my scenario. If you feel you need to carry, that's on you and I feel sorry for you. If it ever came to that here, I'd move before I had to act like a prison guard in my own home. Screw that!

Typos courtesy Apple...

Hypothetical perhaps...... but asked scores of times before and any LEO active or retired,especially ones that have been on this forum for awhile will be hesitant to even participate in this tread simply because we all know how it progresses and inevitably ends.

Or do like I do... Check my door cam. ;)

well here's a scenario where coming to the door with a firearm might make sense. never get surprise visits. If someone is coming to my house they usually call or have been invited. So if someone knocks at my door unexpectedly I really have no idea who it might be. Depending on the time of day or more specifically the time of night, I might holster a weapon, concealed, prior to opening the door.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Hypothetical perhaps...... but asked scores of times before and any LEO active or retired,especially ones that have been on this forum for awhile will be hesitant to even participate in this tread simply because we all know how it progresses and inevitably ends.

Please provide links.

well here's a scenario where coming to the door with a firearm might make sense.  never get surprise visits. If someone is coming to my house they usually call or have been invited. So if someone knocks at my door unexpectedly I really have no idea who it might be. Depending on the time of day or more specifically the time of night, I might holster a weapon, concealed, prior to opening the door.

This is another very good point, and was one of the considerations that got me to carry 100% of the time. Anyone could be at your door. Could be a criminal. Could also be a cop, a neighbor, or an inlaw. Carrying a gun is much less confrontational than grabbing and holding a gun to answer the door. And it's much more likely you'll actually have it if you need it when you do answer the door, about 100% likely as a matter of fact.

In that case why bother having a home defense firearm at all?

All 3 of my firearms are loaded and readily accessible when I'm at home but walking around the house playing at "secret agent" is what 7 year olds do.....

I can't find the darn thing via my ipad... It's regarding a scenario involving heightened intense scenarios and adrenalin... I'll try find it later if I get back to my desk.

I've been searching for a while, do you know which of the many threads about the Boston incident had the discussion pertaining to the OP's question? thanks in advance!

Typos courtesy Apple...

Some one could be practicing holstering or breaking in a new leather holster for example. You are to quick to pass judgement on people.

I think what he means is they turn into bashing threads. No particular one.

Please provide links.

Typos courtesy Apple...

It's usually me running around the neighborhood in only my crime fighters causing a ruckus. They almost never draw down on me. They just make me put my clothes back on and take my adderall.

Come on HP, that is not what this topic is about... Has nothing to with subject or breaking in leather. Geeze.

Some one could be practicing holstering or breaking in a new leather holster for example. You are to quick to pass judgement on people.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Hey, reminds me when I was hunting bear. They told me to put my clothes back on... Tada dunt... Ding! ;)

It's usually me running around the neighborhood in only my crime fighters causing a ruckus. They almost never draw down on me. They just make me put my clothes back on and take my adderall.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Yep..... Cant say I blame them either.....

I'm almost afraid to ask but what the hell are crime fighters?