S2723 Revises Firearm Purchaser ID and handgun purchase permits (Sweeney, Norcross, Weinberg)

If the vote today in the Law and Public Safety that was stopped by the Chairman after it was started and this is a violation of legislative rules who can we contact to take action of this violation.

This was on of the comments on the nj.com article:

Per 12:3 of NJ Assembly rules motion during roll call vote, including motion to recess, is a violation.

Per 10:22, bills reported by committee in violation of rules shall not be considered for third reading or final action.

Per 10:6, each committee may adopt rules for its operation, provided rules are consistent with General Assembly Rules.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/Rules/...

So if the legislative rules were broken the bill should be dead and "not considered" for future readings.

I'm torn on whether or not to write to Cryan. He's obviously the enemy and isn't doing this out of any consideration for us. OTOH, if we pretend to believe his explanation that he's blocking it on cost considerations and flood him with support for his newly discovered small government principles, he might think he's accidentally stumbled onto a winning position and stick to it. 

Since a positive email might actually get read, it's also an opportunity to slip in some talking points, such as a back of the envelope calculation of just how bad the flood of volume will be under the expiring FID option (500k/yr in the first two years, 250k/yr every year thereafter) ON TOP of the existing volume of new applicants. If PDs are taking 6-9 months to process new applicants, they will be completely crushed by the new volume.

I think the key will be not to come across as pro-2A people, who he hates anyway, but just to come across as average citizens concerned about the cost of burgeoning government.

Since a positive email might actually get read, it's also an opportunity to slip in some talking points, such as a back of the envelope calculation of just how bad the flood of volume will be under the expiring FID option (500k/yr in the first two years, 250k/yr every year thereafter) ON TOP of the existing volume of new applicants. If PDs are taking 6-9 months to process new applicants, they will be completely crushed by the new volume.

I think the key will be not to come across as pro-2A people, who he hates anyway, but just to come across as average citizens concerned about the cost of burgeoning government.

I agree.  There may be opportunities to focus on common ground, without emphasis on obvious differences.

On such a bloated bill, he just wants a chance to wet his beak.

So if the legislative rules were broken the bill should be dead and "not considered" for future readings.

This should be heavily persued. Any idea whom to contact?

This should be heavily persued. Any idea whom to contact?

According to a member of the staff in the office of Asm Michael Patrick Carroll, the Republican Parliamentarian, this morning, halting a vote in committee that isn't going the way the Chairman would like is not a violation of the Assembly rules.  She said it's done all the time, in order for the Chairman to wrangle votes more to his liking from the members.

This delay hopefully will throw a major monkey wrench into the works. All of these legislators would like to get the hell out of dodge and start campaigning to retain their positions of power in the November General election. And at present, there is no future meeting of the Assembly L&PS committee scheduled. But I guess that can change on a moment's notice.

The "undetermined cost" of this proposed legislation should, by itself, be reason enough to send this bill directly to hell given the poor state of health of the NJ treasury.

According to a member of the staff in the office of Asm Michael Patrick Carroll, the Republican Parliamentarian, this morning, halting a vote in committee that isn't going the way the Chairman would like is not a violation of the Assembly rules.  She said it's done all the time, in order for the Chairman to wrangle votes more to his liking from the members.

This delay hopefully will throw a major monkey wrench into the works. All of these legislators would like to get the hell out of dodge and start campaigning to retain their positions of power in the November General election. And at present, there is no future meeting of the Assembly L&PS committee scheduled. But I guess that can change on a moment's notice.

The "undetermined cost" of this proposed legislation should, by itself, be reason enough to send this bill directly to hell given the poor state of health of the NJ treasury.

Cryan must realize that he's made the bill in its current form pretty much unsignable by Christie. Can you imagine Christie signing a bill, which even the greatest anti in the state won't support, due to cost? And how can Cryan vote for it after raising the cost issue himself?

I think there's more to this than just posturing. Something has fundamentally changed here.

These guys routinely violate the US Constitution with impunity what makes you think they will adhere to NJ laws?

As reported by the NJ2AS:

Embarrassed by last week’s failure of Senate President Stephen Sweeney’s "centerpiece" gun legislation to pass out of the Assembly Law & Public Safety Committee, Democrats have brazenly rigged the system by moving the legislation to a completely different committee -- where they can control the outcome and ensure the bill’s passage.   

S2723/A4182 is now scheduled to be heard in the Assembly Budget Committee on Monday, June 17 at 10:00 a.m. in Committee Room 11 on the 4th floor of the State House Annex. The committee consists of 8 Democrats and 4 Republicans. Please immediately contact the members of the Assembly Budget Committee listed below and urge them to oppose all anti-gun bills, including this legislation.     

The Sweeney FID bill throws out existing FID cards and replaces them with either a privacy-invading driver license endorsement or other form of ID; suspends Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training; imposes a 7-day waiting period for handgun purchases; ends all private sales; and effectively creates a registry of ammunition purchases and long gun sales. Democrats have touted the bill as a "national model.”   

In a stunning display of disregard for the rule of law, on June 6th Democrats halted a roll call vote-in-progress on this bill in the Assembly Law & Public Safety Committee, when it became apparent that they did not have enough votes to pass the bill. Rather than complete the roll call as required by legislative rules, chaos and confusion ensued as the committee chairman and staffers simply stopped the vote and huddled in an adjacent room before announcing that they would ignore the vote and "hold” the bill.  Republican members of the committee protested the unlawful procedure and argued with the chairman.    

Click the picture below to watch a must-see video of the disgraceful June 6thproceedings.  The video begins at about the one minute mark.

The upcoming vote on Monday is proof positive that the game is completely rigged in Trenton. If a vote doesn’t go well in one committee, the majority feels at liberty to stop the vote in progress, pretend it never happened, and proceed with a "do-over” in a different committee.

Please watch for further updates.

MEMBERS OF THE SENATE BUDGET COMMITTEE

Assemblyman Vincent Prieto, Chair (D-32)
 [email protected]
(201
) 770-1303 – Office
(201) 770-1326 – Fax

Assemblyman Gary Schaer, Vice Chair (D-36)
 [email protected]
(973
) 249-3665 - Office
(973) 249-6281 – Fax

Assemblyman John  Burzichelli (D-3)
 [email protected]
(856
) 251-9801 - Office
(856) 251-9752 – Fax

Assemblyman Albert Coutinho (D-29)
 [email protected]
(973
) 589-0713 – Office 
(973) 589-0716 – Fax

Assemblywoman Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-15)
[email protected]
(609
) 292-0500 - Office
(609) 633-2179 – Fax

Assemblyman Gordon Johnson (D-37)
 [email protected]
(201
) 530-0469 – Office 
(201) 530-0486 – Fax

Assemblyman Troy Singleton (D-7)
[email protected] 
(856) 234-2790 – Office 
(856) 234-2957 – Fax

Assemblyman Benjie Wimberly (D-35)
 [email protected]
(973
) 925-7061 – Office 
(973) 247-2457 – Fax

Assemblyman Declan O’Scanlon (R-13)
 [email protected]
(732
) 933-1591 – Office 
(732) 933-1598 – Fax

Assemblyman Anthony Bucco (D-25)
 [email protected]
(973
) 927-2526 – Office 
(973) 927-2529 – Fax

Assemblyman Christopher J. Brown (R-8)
 [email protected]
(609
) 654-1498 – Office 
(609) 654-4518 – Fax

Assemblyman Jay Webber (R-26)
 [email protected]
(973
) 265-0057 – Office
(973) 884-6190 – Fax 

I just emailed them.  Everyone should email, fax or call as well.

Their strongest motivation is toe the party line.  But hopefully they can find other grounds to oppose the bill, such as its ineffectiveness and costs.

I called all of them already. I have emphasized the cost issue and that it will cost NJ millions upon millions of dollars for a system that Sweeney has been unable to provide a cost analysis for.  In addition I have stressed that it will overwhelm local PD's and take away from their main duties and responsibilities which is public safety and law enforcement. Folks...call and send emails but stress the money part of it, the overwhelming of police departments (how it will take away form their main duties) how the Democratic Party will be painted as money wasters.  Forget stressing 2A rights, they don't care about that. But money and being painted as money wasters in November...oh yes that gets their attention.

I called all of them already. I have emphasized the cost issue and that it will cost NJ millions upon millions of dollars for a system that Sweeney has been unable to provide a cost analysis for.  In addition I have stressed that it will overwhelm local PD's and take away from their main duties and responsibilities which is public safety and law enforcement. Folks...call and send emails but stress the money part of it, the overwhelming of police departments (how it will take away form their main duties) how the Democratic Party will be painted as money wasters.  Forget stressing 2A rights, they don't care about that. But money and being painted as money wasters in November...oh yes that gets their attention.

This.  Especially to members of the BUDGET committee..  Then again, the cost argument looses something when they can point to the cost of the special election to throw it back in the face of Christie.

This.  Especially to members of the BUDGET committee..  Then again, the cost argument looses something when they can point to the cost of the special election to throw it back in the face of Christie.

True but it's near election time and no-one wants to be painted as a money waster before the elections regardless of party lines.  Forget the 2A issue and focus on the financial issue.  They can easily stress that unlike CC they decided to be fiscally smart and not potentially waste tax payer money.

Exactly!!!

This is our last shot and beating this Bill so folks...please contact this committee and voice your opinion. Most of the folks that I spoke with on the phone said that this Bill was the "call of the day". So keep the pressure up and keep making calls.  Also, keep making calls and sending emails on Monday until the vote is over. Most of these assembly people have their aides inform them as to the status of issues on an hourly basis.

Any news on how the vote went?

It hasn't happened yet.  Waiting on GMO, and now I think they are hearing the Tuition Equality bill(illegal immigrants getting same the tuition rate for in-state residents)

It hasn't happened yet.  Waiting on GMO, and now I think they are hearing the Tuition Equality bill(illegal immigrants getting same the tuition rate for in-state residents)

javascript:callMP("{A}http://rmserver.njleg.state.nj.us/ENCODER11")

live feed, seems like it's some immigration issues.  afaik, the gun measures have not been voted yet.

javascript:callMP("{A}http://rmserver.njleg.state.nj.us/ENCODER11")

live feed, seems like it's some immigration issues.  afaik, the gun measures have not been voted yet.

They haven't.  They are arguing over student capacity of our colleges and the impact of adding illegal immigrants.  I'm a NJ resident, NJ born and raised, NJ taxpayer, and have been in the situation where I couldn't get a seat at our local community college because of the seat limits.

Are they discussing the bills?

I don't see how they're going to get through 37 bills in 1 day unless they're just speeding through them

They have got through a landfill closure bill, the GMO labeling bill, and now are arguing on the Tuition Equality bill.  2 done, 1 in process, 34 to go. 

Still more people to testify on this tuition bill. 

They haven't.  They are arguing over student capacity of our colleges and the impact of adding illegal immigrants.  I'm a NJ resident, NJ born and raised, NJ taxpayer, and have been in the situation where I couldn't get a seat at our local community college because of the seat limits.

when i was at stockton state in the late eighties, kids from philly were getting in state rates by using a PO box.  Guess they caught on to this.

when i was at stockton state in the late eighties, kids from philly were getting in state rates by using a PO box.  Guess they caught on to this.

These immigrants don't have social security numbers, and think they are entitled to our tax subsidized in state tuition rates.  These immigrants may indirectly pay some taxes, but they don't pay ALL that a citizen-resident of NJ pay.