S2723 Revises Firearm Purchaser ID and handgun purchase permits (Sweeney, Norcross, Weinberg)

This whole pending legislation process isnt even newsworthy anymore, its too predictable- just a big fat facepalm. Just assume they will make its way to CC's desk, thats where the news is going to be.

I can't wait for gun owners who have been oblivious to this legislation to find out the hard way that their FID's are no longer valid.  

Face it, it's a minority of us in this state that are actually on-top of these issues and try to keep crap like this from becoming law.

I know we all need to stick together, so hopefully it will be an eye-opener for the casual sportsman getting hunting ammo, or somebody who wants to buy another BB gun for their kids when they go to the store and find out that they are not permitted to do so with the old card.

While I definitely do not agree with the sentiment, "assault weapon" bans, mag limits, etc. do only affect a small subset of gun owners.   This bill affects ALL 1 million of us in NJ.

I can't wait for gun owners who have been oblivious to this legislation to find out the hard way that their FID's are no longer valid.  

Face it, it's a minority of us in this state that are actually on-top of these issues and try to keep crap like this from becoming law.

I know we all need to stick together, so hopefully it will be an eye-opener for the casual sportsman getting hunting ammo, or somebody who wants to buy another BB gun for their kids when they go to the store and find out that they are not permitted to do so with the old card.

While I definitely do not agree with the sentiment, "assault weapon" bans, mag limits, etc. do only affect a small subset of gun owners.   This bill affects ALL 1 million of us in NJ.

Well put, I can't tell you the number of firearms owners that I have spoken with that have said that all the gun law stuff has died down and things are "ok" again.

I have taken a personal stance to educate LGS clerks, causal firearms owners, and especially the left wing liberals in NJ of the stringent firearms requirements coming down the pipe.  One LGS clerk told me that this legislation is "crazy liberals on their own agenda" (correct) and that it would never pass (incorrect).  Another clerk told me that everyone was grandfathered, and this would "only affect new gun owners" (false).  Even my local PD, in Essex County, is unaware of the 6 month firearms waits due to the Essex Count Mental Health disaster. 

Please, please, educate as many folks in NJ about this as possible.  These new laws are too stringent, in a state where firearms ownership is already banned and heavily regulated based on "39-6 exemptions". 

Believe me I have been trying to educate people as much as possible. The bottom line is people don't care unless it affects them and since most people in NJ do not own a firearm and never will they majority just doesn't give a crap about what happens to gun ownership rights in NJ.  Remember we live in the Nanny State of NJ where people have been taught not to think for themselves. We are a rare breed that does think for themselves.

To everyone:

Have you contacted the Governor's office to register your opposition to S2723 / A4182, and asking for his veto?

If you have: thank you.

If you have not: don't let another day go by without your voice being heard. Don't be the silent majority: Let him know exactly where you stand.

Unfortunately I have to report I do not have direct email address.  I used the online form.

My text focused on cost, pulling police off regular duty to conduct background checks, redundancy with NICS, and targeting of legal gun owners as if they are the source of gun violence.  After that my text got so big I decided not to discuss other bills.

This is great. Should be a sticky at the top of every forum in NJ.

forget every forum in NJ... every forum in the country!

It even says it in the letter "And the American people are counting on you to do the right thing"

if the Gov has national aspirations, now is the time for the whole country to let him know they are watching how he handles these bills.  Spread the word to every gun forum you know.

Easy way to contact Governor Christie, courtesy of FPC and NJ2AS:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/new-jersey/2013-2014/send-a-message-to-gov-chris-christie/

I no longer live in NJ, but we're all in this together. I sent CC a message.

BTW, I think he will VETO this stuff only because it will cost NJ more money. Keep it up guys... remember, there are 1 MILLION in NJ that are in the same boat. Keep taking friends to the range. Heck, try to convince your local ranges to have a "bring a friend" day. Have food, music, etc. Make it fun and welcoming.

Easy way to contact Governor Christie, courtesy of FPC and NJ2AS:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/new-jersey/2013-2014/send-a-message-to-gov-chris-christie/

Used that form, but wrote my own message. If I get a repsonse I will go play the lottery!

He vetoed the pension bill because no one has any clue how much money the pensions could lose and other costs factors. I think he will veto this bill as well due to budget concerns. That's just my .02.

I hope everyone realizes Christie and Sweeney are both the same. Unfortunately. They are buddies; both have the same agenda (generally), but just have different ways to get there. Not being pessimistic, but all politicians are the same. They say what is prudent to get through the next election cycle. That being said, If Christie wants to be President, he has to think about the "big picture" of passing these anti-gun bills. He already knows he has this election for Gov. wrapped up. It is the BIG prize in 2016 he is after.

Not being an avid fan of political history I don't know: has anyone successfully changed parties. The last time I remember hearing it was years ago (Lott?). He was eaten alive by both parties if I remember.

Once there was this guy named Reagan. He was dem earlier in his career then went on to bigger things as a republican.

Not being an avid fan of political history I don't know: has anyone successfully changed parties. The last time I remember hearing it was years ago (Lott?). He was eaten alive by both parties if I remember.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894529_1894528_1894518,00.html

Reagan wasn't in politics when he switched parties. He was still a spokesman for GE.

Strom Thurmond ran as a Democrat, a Dixiecrat and a Republican. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond

Lincoln Chafee switched from Republican to independent to Democrat. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/05/30/a-brief-history-of-lincoln-chafees-party-identity-crises/

Bloomberg went from Democrat to Republican and to independent.

Arlen Specter switched from Republican to Democrat and was thrown under Obama's bus at the first primary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlen_Specter

29specter-600c.jpg

...but I don't think Christie's positions would be compatible with today's Democrat party. IMO, he's actually more conservative than he's generally perceived, something that usualy only happens with Democrat politicians. He's openly pro-life. He's signed fewer bills into law than any NJ governor in 168 years, vetoed gay marriage, vetoed the minimum wage increase and vetoed Obamacare exchanges.

Lately he's started attacking Obama.

(He may feel he's pried loose as much Sandy relief as he feels he's going to get. I noticed that two of our local beach communities have planted palm trees by the boardwalk. Palm trees? In New Jersey??? And also I guess we can forget about Ocean Grove getting any FEMA help fixing its wrecked boardwalk. Presumably because it's a religious community and because of the gay wedding thing, although that isn't the official explanation. But it looks like it just isn't going to happen.)

Christie has the opportunity to establish national Second Amendment bona fides here. Will he take it? We're going to see!

Bull.  They want to confiscate.  Remember that open mic issue?

They want both. Make ownership as difficult as possible to discourage newbs and confiscate from the remaining die hards. They'll of course leave some for the police because they can't have them being unhappy.