Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

Is the official state sandwich going to be called pork roll?

Nope.

Taylor Ham, bitches!

Most of you rollers probably don't have family history that goes back far enough to understand the original AND traditional name. Like if a French family moved in next door and called bagels bread.

Is the official state sandwich going to be called pork roll?

Nope.

Taylor Ham, bitches!

Most of you rollers probably don't have family history that goes back far enough to understand the original AND traditional name. Like if a French family moved in next door and called bagels bread.

A little history for the non beleivers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

Boxes are packages, by definition.

I think we nailed your first request :yes:

That fact that they were made to change the label, does not change the product

Pork roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856[3] by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham". Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

nope boxes are packaging as in the cover over the package

What I find interesting about that Wiki entry is that it is titled "Pork Roll" and not "Taylor Ham" - And if you search Wikipedia for Taylor Ham it brings you to the Pork Roll page.

It's first sentence has the answer:

Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor ham)

If it's true name was Taylor Ham wouldn't Pork Roll be listed as the regional name?

Can one of you Rollers remind me what the official New Jersey state sandwich is going to be called?

Taylor ham/pork roll, egg and cheese according to assemblyman Tim Eustas (sp?). So they are playing both sides

As an unscientific test this morning, before my road trip south, I went into the Summit Diner in my home town and asked for a pork roll, egg and cheese on a roll. They just looked at me funny as if I was speaking a foreign language....

I apologized and said I meant to say Taylor Ham. They smiled and made my breakfast sandwich.

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an unscientific test this morning, before my road trip south, I went into the Summit Diner in my home town and asked for a pork roll, egg and cheese on a roll. They just looked at me funny as if I was speaking a foreign language....

I apologized and said I meant to say Taylor Ham. They smiled and made my breakfast sandwich.

AVB-AMG

There you go. What more proof do we need? One person, at one diner, asking one person for it. The majority looses.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

AVB-AMG

Is the dinner a gender neutral dinner.. 

AVB-AMG

Did you ask to see the packaging from which your pork roll was freed from?...how do you in fact know what you were eating?.....Since Taylor Ham doesn't exist, I guarantee that you enjoyed your pork roll egg and cheese in spite of the insufferable idea that you think this so called "taylor ham" is a real product.  Unscientific is indeed correct.  It saddens me to know that there are so many Taylor Shamites that refuse to see the true face of breakfast...there is but one and its meaty name is Pork Roll.

AVB-AMG

It's Summit - rich north jerseyans - of course they call it Taylor Ham.  

AVB-AMG

That's funny. I went to my local shop this morning here in Atlantic Highlands. I asked for a PRECSPK on a whole wheat everything bagel.

The counter girl smiled, nodded, reached into the deli case, grabbed the familiar cotton sack of Taylor's Pork Roll and made me my sandwich.

That's funny. I went to my local shop this morning here in Atlantic Highlands. I asked for a PRECSPK on a whole wheat everything bagel.

The counter girl smiled, nodded, reached into the deli case, grabbed the familiar cotton sack of Taylor's Pork Roll and made me my sandwich.

HE, Didn't know you were an AH guy too. Atlantic Bagel is a great breakfast joint, and the folks there are really nice. PRECSPK is how I roll too (but on a kaiser bun). Sometimes I would go to Slaters for a change of pace, but would need to order the skinny sandwich. 2 inches of porkroll in a sandwich is just gross. I just sold my house on Park Ave after deciding our family loves it up here in New Hampshire. But we come back often to visit friends.

If I am at Katz on Bay Ave in Highlands I get it on a hard roll (they have great hardrolls). At Atlantic Bagel I get it on the everything bagel. At home, I make Pork Roll on an English muffin with runny eggs. Sue me. :p

I have never liked Slaters.

Yeah man, I grew up in AH. Moved to Sayreville for a bit and then got married and moved back to AH about 3 years ago. If you're going to be around give a shout.

• Like 1

It's Summit - rich north jerseyans - of course they call it Taylor Ham.

Maybe some north Jersey diners and restaurants charge more and their patrons will pay more for Taylor Ham than the more pedestrian sounding pork roll......? Hmmm .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe some north Jersey diners and restaurants charge more and their patrons will pay more for Taylor Ham than the more pedestrian sounding pork roll......? Hmmm .....

I think we are onto something. Maybe Bennys and the rest in North Jersey insist on calling it Taylor Ham because they think they are too good to eat a commoner sounding food like Pork Roll [emoji6]

I think we are onto something. Maybe Bennys and the rest in North Jersey insist on calling it Taylor Ham because they think they are too good to eat a commoner sounding food like Pork Roll [emoji6]

I grew up in the Barrio and it was still Taylor ham.