Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

Alright so I'm stuck in the Philly area for a little bit and I ordered a Taylor ham egg and cheese, they said they have pork roll I was like you're wrong but sure whatever that thing that they gave me I don't know what it was but I'm going to call it deli ham.... taylor ham it was not... and that just proves that anyone that says pork roll is wrong

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I think it was originally sold as "Taylor Ham" but the FDA or someone made them stop because although it's pork it's not ham.

FDA allows us to call hot dogs, dogs.  They ain't dogs.  

9 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

FDA allows us to call hot dogs, dogs.  They ain't dogs.  

Because hot dogs can be made of just about anything as long as the ingredients are listed.  

5 minutes ago, BobA said:

And there's no Ham in Hamburgers or Cats in Catsup. 

Totally different thing.

26 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I think it was originally sold as "Taylor Ham" but the FDA or someone made them stop because although it's pork it's not ham.

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll#Origin_and_description

29 minutes ago, Bighungry618 said:

Oh I see!.... so:

"Hotdog" is to "Dog" as  "Pork Roll" is to "Taylor Ham". 
Got it now.   Taylor Ham is the nickname you 44%'ers gave to PORKROLL.

No, I was discrediting the FDA.  I think both examples are dumb.

Taylor Ham is pork roll but all pork roll is not Taylor Ham.

The only pork roll I knew as a kid was made by Taylor and everyone still called it Taylor Ham.  I can't remember when I first saw any other than Taylor but still called it Taylor Ham.

That was at least 100 years ago.

I walked into a busy deli up here and accidently asked for a pork roll,egg and cheese on a hard roll. The guy just stared at me and the whole place got silent. I could hear the cheese dripping on the sandwiches behind me.....feel the cold glassy stares from everyone in the store as a chill ran up the back of my neck. Counter guy sees whats happening and says "you mean Talor ham- to go right?"  I said of course, didnt I say that?! I took my sandwich and rushed out to my truck and burned rubber out of there, looking in the rr view mirror I could see abunch of kids screaming and chasing after me. Wont make that mistake again!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Hmmn. Think I'm making pork roll egg and cheese with bacon for dinner...

Since pork roll is Canadian bacon and you are adding regular bacon. You now have a double bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Sounds good!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyB said:

Since pork roll is Canadian bacon and you are adding regular bacon. You now have a double bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Sounds good!

Whoa... mind blown. I thought Canada bacon was a totally different vegetable...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Sounds good!

Canadian Bacon is bacon cut from the back much leaner than what we normally call bacon which is cut from the belly.  Canadian bacon is more like a pork loin.  Pork Roll is a finely chopped concoction made from mysterious cuts of pork.

Add bacon to that sandwich and you have a real winner ;)

11 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It is going to be my mission to get @Displaced Texan to try scrapple 

I tried scrapple at a local diner once. Did not like the flavor of it if it wasn't very (VERY) crispy. A few days later, I made the mistake of reading the ingredient list on a package at the store. Never again will I eat that crap. 

I have eaten some weird stuff in my day, but damn......you Yankees put some strange stuff into your mouths.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It is going to be my mission to get @Displaced Texan to try scrapple 

I'm fairly sure "scrapple" in this post is zekespeak code for something else....

24 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I tried scrapple at a local diner once. Did not like the flavor of it if it wasn't very (VERY) crispy. A few days later, I made the mistake of reading the ingredient list on a package at the store. Never will I eat that. 

I have eaten some weird stuff in my day, but damn......you Yankees put some strange stuff into your mouths.

And Mr Texan has the appropriate response.   

Anyway, I've seen how scrapple is made, and I still love that stuff, Mrs Hungry has banned it from the house, but out at a diner....game on.   Porkroll omelet - side of fried scrapple w/maple syrup.  Fo shiz!

• Like 1