Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

As an American capitalist/entrepreneur, Mr. Taylor boldly lived the American Dream with the invention and commercial launch of his unparalleled Taylor Ham, produced at his plant in Trenton, NJ. (I direct your attention to Exhibit A (below): the original packaging which boldly and clearly professes "Taylor Ham" in large, cheerful red letters).

In a sad turn of events, Mr. Taylor's brand name was then stomped on, eradicated and, yes, I would argue, STOLEN by jack-booted government thugs under the guise of the then newly-formed Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. Thus, for 50 years his product was produced, branded, marketed and widely known as "Taylor Ham". History! Members of the jury, please... shouldn't we respect our great New Jersey history? I would further argue that since its inception, the product was often copied, yet never duplicated with quite the same intoxicating mix of spicy, salty, smoky goodness. 

The fact that Mr. Taylor was cheated by a regrettable rise of American bureaucracy and growing tendency towards government overreach doesn't make it any less "Taylor Ham" to THIS born & raised Jersey Girl --- as it should be to all other knowledgeable, intelligent NJ residents. [See what I did there? I "pulled an AVB" on y'all! LOL.]

In closing, as the late, great Antonin Scalia so brilliantly promoted an originalist interpretation of the Constitution, so do I, appealing to your innate sense of fairness and tradition, promote an originalist interpretation of Mr. Taylor's initial branding concept. Please join me in righting this historic wrong! Let's join together, in a spirit of American goodwill, and enjoy a Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwich... TOGETHER! Thank you for your attention.

Exhibit A:

Taylor Ham.jpg

She’s got moxie 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Zeke said:

She’s got moxie 

I agree...in spades.  No doubt. 

But what she doesn't have is Taylor Ham.

Madam, I challenge thee to enter any New Jersey supermarket, purchase and present to me, a cased meat product that is labeled "Taylor Ham".   If you do so, I shall forevermore call it Taylor Ham....Until that day you and the other 44.44%ers are wrong and will continue to be so.   Your personal feeling doth not a product make.

A fork is a fork even if you choose to call it a spoon....unless it's a "spork", but I digress.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Bighungry618 said:

I agree...in spades.  No doubt. 

But what she doesn't have is Taylor Ham.

Madam, I challenge thee to enter any New Jersey supermarket, purchase and present to me, a cased meat product that is labeled "Taylor Ham".   If you do so, I shall forevermore call it Taylor Ham....Until that day you and the other 44.44%ers are wrong and will continue to be so.   Your personal feeling doth not a product make.

A fork is a fork even if you choose to call it a spoon....unless it's a "spork", but I digress.

Bighungry: Et tu? Let me put this in terms you can better understand:

Mr. Taylor's original branding concept, being necessary to the promotion of a strong business and robust economy, shall not be infringed. 

:good:

• Like 2

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Mr. Taylor's original branding concept, being necessary to the promotion of a strong business and robust economy, shall not be infringed. 

Having worked at Taylor family residences... in Princeton.

They didn’t invent porkroll..

and to aggregate this... Pork Roll is a mutation of_ scrapple 

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

My argument with this would be:  He was infringed upon all the way to the bank. 

Boy it's a shame he didn't have a strong business (product) or opportunity at a securing a piece of that robust economy.  I wish someone would infringe my fiscal status in the same manner.   

Hell.... I'd beg the government to make me call my neck roll "Purple Patricks Canned TylrHam-like Gelatinous Meat Product and Pig Feed" if it made me rich.   

For $100000 and a Pork Roll sammich I'd get it tattooed on the back of my neck.

5 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

As an American capitalist/entrepreneur, Mr. Taylor boldly lived the American Dream with the invention and commercial launch of his unparalleled Taylor Ham, Blah blah blaaaah blab blaaah........

In a sad turn of events, Mr. Taylor's brand name was then stomped on, eradicated and, yes, I would argue, STOLEN by jack-booted government thugs under the guise of the then newly-formed Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.  Yada, yada yada....

In closing,  Waaaaah.....

In 1987, I worked for a company called Bell Telephone Laboratories, better known as Bell Labs. Bell Labs was the research and development arm of the so called Bell system"  It was there that the first practical transistor was invented by a Mr Shockley.  I actually knew the guy.  Lots of really neat stuff, like actual super science, was going on there.  Well, to make a long story short, the Bell system was under attack from MCI and sprint and was forced into divesting several "areas", each area was a collection of departments that had common goals.  I worked for Network System.  There was now a new company that had been created for the BOC's, or the Bell Operating Companies  Bellcor was to the BOCs what Bell Labs was to AT&T.  They did some research but not a lot of development.  They would create a "requirement", send it out to AT&T Network Systems, where they all ended up on my lap.  It was up to me to identify who the SME (subject matter expert" was and send copies out for review and to provide feedback on the proposed technology.  This was our only opportunity to influence the BOC on what direction they should go, which was for obvious reasons, the way we wanted them to go.  Bell Labs didn't really change much administratively, but the brain drain and firewall between Bell Labs and former Bell Labs people over at Bellcor really put a wrench in the works.

Hey, you want to read something funny.  There was this one time a director asked me to put together a slide show on a PC for a trade show WE were going to attend.  Well, at the last minute he decided I was not to be going.  I was really disappointed because I actually love doing trade shows.  Well, anyway, he jets off to the show, sets up laptop, overhead projector, the screen and the translucent screen that goes on the overhead projector.  He could not get it to work, he also could not call me because it was a weekend and he did not have my home phone number.  Well, at least he brought a lot of copies of the presentation with him.  Anyway, monday morning arrives, and don't forget, at this point I was still unaware he had an issue.  He walks into my office and I greet him with good morning and he replied "You suck and you are fired"  I was like ha ha, really funny Chuck.  Well, he was actually pissed because he believed I sabotaged the presentation, even though he was in possession of the laptop the entire time after we finalized the presentation.  There was no possible way that I could have sabotaged the presentation if I wanted to, and I wouldn't because that's not how I roll.  Three months later I was booted from the department for all of the sudden not doing a good job in a position I held for three years with excellent employee reviews.

So, after the divestiture, AT&T got to keep the name Bell Labs, but the name Bell Telephone Laboratories , a name that had been in use for over a century was gone forever...  FOREVER.  Nobody could ever use Bell Telephone Labs, not even Alexander himself because he is dead.

This little story, while it may be interesting to some, is actually quite pointless, much like this thread.  Why?  Because Taylor Ham is dead, just like Bell Telephone Laboratories.

EDIT: Mrs Peel.  I believe this is, game set and match.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

In 1987, I worked for a company called Bell Telephone Laboratories, better known as Bell Labs. Bell Labs was the research and development arm of the so called Bell system"  It was there that the first practical transistor was invented by a Mr Shockley.  I actually knew the guy.  Lots of really neat stuff, like actual super science, was going on there.  Well, to make a long story short, the Bell system was under attack from MCI and sprint and was forced into divesting several "areas", each area was a collection of departments that had common goals.  I worked for Network System.  There was now a new company that had been created for the BOC's, or the Bell Operating Companies  Bellcor was to the BOCs what Bell Labs was to AT&T.  They did some research but not a lot of development.  They would create a "requirement", send it out to AT&T Network Systems, where they all ended up on my lap.  It was up to me to identify who the SME (subject matter expert" was and send copies out for review and to provide feedback on the proposed technology.  This was our only opportunity to influence the BOC on what direction they should go, which was for obvious reasons, the way we wanted them to go.  Bell Labs didn't really change much administratively, but the brain drain and firewall between Bell Labs and former Bell Labs people over at Bellcor really put a wrench in the works.

Hey, you want to read something funny.  There was this one time a director asked me to put together a slide show on a PC for a trade show WE were going to attend.  Well, at the last minute he decided I was not to be going.  I was really disappointed because I actually love doing trade shows.  Well, anyway, he jets off to the show, sets up laptop, overhead projector, the screen and the translucent screen that goes on the overhead projector.  He could not get it to work, he also could not call me because it was a weekend and he did not have my home phone number.  Well, at least he brought a lot of copies of the presentation with him.  Anyway, monday morning arrives, and don't forget, at this point I was still unaware he had an issue.  He walks into my office and I greet him with good morning and he replied "You suck and you are fired"  I was like ha ha, really funny Chuck.  Well, he was actually pissed because he believed I sabotaged the presentation, even though he was in possession of the laptop the entire time after we finalized the presentation.  There was no possible way that I could have sabotaged the presentation if I wanted to, and I wouldn't because that's not how I roll.  Three months later I was booted from the department for all of the sudden not doing a good job in a position I held for three years with excellent employee reviews.

So, after the divestiture, AT&T got to keep the name Bell Labs, but the name Bell Telephone Laboratories , a name that had been in use for over a century was gone forever...  FOREVER.  Nobody could ever use Bell Telephone Labs, not even Alexander himself because he is dead.

This little story, while it may be interesting to some, is actually quite pointless, much like this thread.  Why?  Because Taylor Ham is dead, just like Bell Telephone Laboratories.

Lmao!

@AVB-AMG see what he did there????

6 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The problem with this argument is there was already a product called Ham. It was defined and codified and a currently existing product when Taylor decided to call his most delectable product Ham.

I say Mr Taylor was wrong to ever call his product Ham and it was just and correct to request the name change - because as delicious as it is, Pork Roll most certainly is not HAM.

Can I take hamburger meat, add spices and beef sausage parts and call it “High Exposures Steak”? I would think not.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

But it did not contain HAM!!!

Should we accept a product as whatever the manufacturer wants to call it? What if it was originally called TAYLOR STEAK? Would you be so historical/hysterical then?

Case in point. What animal is a Salisbury?

Actually you know what - looking at other examples of advertising from the 1910's and that time period - that picture's totally fake. 

This one's from 1910 - the year that the lawsuit against the "Ham" name was done...

Q0039-23-72dpi.jpeg

Plain and simple - the "Exhibit A" is fake.

Well, where to begin? You're all circling like sharks. Normally, right about now, I would try to work the sympathy angle - but I can already see that Mr. Teflon (Scorpio64) with his I-know-women-spidey-senses will shoot that right down.

So, I will take but a few of these RIDICULOUS statements and give a quick reply. Please note: if I didn't respond to your post, it does mean your pork roll punditry was not equally ridiculous to the other comments... I'm just limited on time this evening - and can't reply to each and every dim-witted utterance from all the knuckle-dragging pork rollers on this site. 

4 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

EDIT: Mrs Peel.  I believe this is, game set and match.

Oh, my dear! You REALLY don't know me at all. This game has barely begun! If you can locate my ex-husband (I don't recommend that, mind you, as contacting Lucifer does tend to open up a vortex of evil)... but if you can, just ask him how long I can argue! Once he stops cursing, he'll explain that when it appears I'm on the ropes and my energy is flagging, I'm actually just getting warmed up! :slap: 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Plain and simple - the "Exhibit A" is fake.

Krdshrk, first, so disappointing to see a rift in our relationship developing! Secondly, I find it fascinating that despite your bold Taylor Ham protests in front of the ignorant pork rollin' majority, you have sponsored 2 of the staunchest Taylor Hammers, both myself and @Purple Patrickto join your range. Why is that?  Coinkidink? I think not! From a psychoanalytical perspective, I suspect that you are actually a latent Taylor Hammer yourself, just waiting to join our esteemed "Team Taylor Ham" once you work up the nerve! It's ok. We're patient. We'll wait for you... with open arms... bright smiles... and a juicy, delicious Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwich with your name on it!

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Can I take hamburger meat, add spices and beef sausage parts and call it “High Exposures Steak”? I would think not.

Please do! It sounds... interesting. I would never deign to stomp on a man's dream... not yours, and not Mr. Taylor's. Why do you? I thought you were better....

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Dammn @Mrs. Peel.. you uphill both ways today 

Thank you for your concern! Despite the onslaught... and despite the fact that Purple Patrick and other reinforcements are (as of yet) nowhere to be seen, I feel remarkably confident and ready to do battle. It must be the knowledge that tradition... not to mention Taylor Ham Truth and Goodness is on my side. :D

• Like 2

Peel, I just hate to see you be so wrong. It pains me that such an independent, intelligent, and well spoken woman such as yourself can be so patently wrong and not realize it. 

It hurts my delicate sensibilities to the core.

But I’ll tell you what - I’m a helper with a can do attitude and I want you to be right. The easiest thing would be for me to agree, to simply switch side so we are on the same team and I no longer have to see you struggle with the truth.

But agreeing with your delusions is just not the way to go. It is the cowards way. The way of the charlatan, the fake, the deceiver.

I want you to let the scales fall from your eyes so you can see the truth. I really do! So I simply have to convince you of the folly of your argument that is so fundamentally flawed. 

I have my work cut out for me but I am up for the challenge.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

It pains me...  

It hurts my delicate sensibilities to the core...

I’m a helper with a can do attitude.... 

Damn, HE! Perhaps I AM having delusions!!

Because here I thought you were a tough, swashbuckling SWAT guy, ya know, with a gun strapped to your thigh. As it turns out... um, dude... you're starting to sound more like this:

sensitive-man.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Damn, HE! Perhaps I AM having delusions!!

Because here I thought you were a tough, swashbuckling SWAT guy, ya know, with a gun strapped to your thigh. As it turns out... um, dude... you're starting to sound more like this:

sensitive-man.jpg

Metro(police)sexual?

That aint right..

• Like 2

Like I said. I’m a helper. I do what I can the best way I know how. I can’t be a life taker and a heart breaker?

Taken hostage - got it! I can do that.

Need to be arrested but have a violent criminal history - that’s my jam.

Got in a car crash - I got you.

Victim of a crime - easy day.

Need someone to talk you down from suicide, to validate you so you realize you have worth and people care about you - easy peasy.

Need me to solve in 15 minutes a family problem that took years to devolve into the mess you have now - I am all over it.

Cut an appendage off and are bleeding to death - I can handle that.

Just need someone to talk to - I’m your Huckelberry.

Im a cop Peel. Trained to be a security guard, a report writer, a medic, a social worker, an investigator, a therapist, a jailer, a marriage counselor, a firefighter, a boxer, a special-ed teacher, a drunk whisperer, a crossing guard, a racecar driver, a babysitter, a dog catcher, and a lawyer. I wear many hats and can switch them as needed to best help those in need.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Ms. Bergman won an Oscar for that role.

I bet she calls it Pork Roll.

I'm brimming with confidence that a woman of her obvious talents would refer to it as Taylor Ham - as any intelligent, discriminating person would.

• Like 2