Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

15 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Which one of you mouth-breathing Neanderthals corrupted my son?

I opened my refrigerator earlier to find this abomination:

Xoutxgp.jpg 

Little bastard knows how to push my buttons! :rofl: :rofl: 

Bet you it was @Zeke. You already know how he can rally people to push your buttons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

What a intelligent, free-thinking and thoroughly impressive young man you've got there! You should be SO PROUD of him... for standing his ground.. even fighting back!... against your angry THDS (Taylor Ham Derangement Syndrome). 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

He probably learned it in school.  You better nip this in the bud before he starts demanding socialized healthcare and turns anti 2A.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

FYI – I thought some of you might be interested in an article in Wednesday’s (2/13/19) New York Times about this forums favorite and enduring, if not polarizing subject.  Below is the article that I have cut and pasted for your benefit.
AVB-AMG

A Jewish Bakery Adopts the Pork Roll*, Egg and Cheese

By Pete Wells
February 13, 2018

Pete Wells extols a breakfast treat on a bialy at Shelsky’s Brooklyn Bagels.

image.png.ec18297cb4874f799652b19fe14b2cc5.png

While Shelsky’s Brooklyn Bagels offers the pork roll, egg and cheese on the traditional kaiser roll or bagel, the best iteration just may be on a bialy.CreditCreditMoya McAllister for The New York Times

It is a safe guess that the Eastern European Jews who brought the bialy from Bialystok to New York City, piecing back together the recipe for this plain but beguiling dimpled roll in their new world after fleeing their old one, did not do it so that one day it could be sliced open and stuffed with a New Jersey pork sausage that comes in a cloth sack.

To be fair, this was not the original plan at Shelsky’s Brooklyn Bagels, either. The idea was to serve pork roll, egg and cheese sandwiches on a kaiser roll or one of the bakery’s palm-size, hand-rolled bagels. Peter Shelsky, the bakery’s owner, grew up in Manhattan, but he knew that some good things come from New Jersey, particularly pork roll, which he wanted to sell in the mornings.

*Also known as Taylor ham, (for those who are more enlightened about their processed food products....), pork roll is a cured, smoked and cooked meat product that has the tightly pebbled appearance of engineered stone, like a Corian countertop made of flesh. Pressing sliced pork roll on a hot griddle intensifies its saltiness while giving it a hint of a crust that contrasts attractively with the slightly spongy interior. Griddled pork roll, combined with a cooked egg and a slice of American cheese, is eaten across New Jersey as a breakfast sandwich.

Usually it is found on a kaiser roll. Sometimes it is seen on a bagel. But some Shelsky’s customers requested it on a freshly baked bialy, and others followed, and now pork roll sandwiches made on bialys are nearly as popular as the ones made on rolls, with bagels a distant third.

The bialy might have been custom-made for the job, particularly the ones at Shelsky’s, which are baked to a darker brown, their thumbprint divots filled with a more robustly caramelized onion confit, than garden-variety bialys. Both traits are intensified if you have the bialy thoroughly toasted, as the person behind the counter will almost certainly recommend.

$6.50 at Shelsky’s Brooklyn Bagels, 453 Fourth Avenue (10th Street), Park Slope, Brooklyn; 718-855-8814; shelskys.com.

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

Does anyone here know what they are referring to for both of these upcoming festivals in NJ??

AVB-AMG

http://www.trentonporkrollfestival.com/

http://porkrollfestival.com/

Ya know for someone who writes very long winded posts you sure cant read to well. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Does anyone here know what they are referring to for both of these upcoming festivals in NJ??

AVB-AMG

No idea.  Self defense move maybe?  Like a tactical shoulder roll.

15 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

AVB-AMG

Two friends held the original one, but then they had a falling out and now compete against each other.

My daughter goes to Virginia Tech, at the VT- UVA game I cooked a bunch of this stuff, most of the kids from VA never had it before, I cooked a bunch up,  one of the kids tried it and blurted out- " this stuff is great, is this that Taylor Ham stuff I keep hearing about?"

• Thanks 1
  • FacePalm 1

17 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

My daughter goes to Virginia Tech, at the VT- UVA game I cooked a bunch of this stuff, most of the kids from VA never had it before, I cooked a bunch up,  one of the kids tried it and blurted out- " this stuff is great, is this that Taylor Ham stuff I keep hearing about?"

This is what happened right after that question:

zvuULo6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1