Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

This.

This is what it comes down to.

Ham is already a thing. It exists. Everyone knows what it is. It is codified and defined and had been for years prior to John Taylor’s invention. It is a particular cut of meat from a specific portion of a pig - and if you are gullible enough to believe that all the meat in Pork Roll comes from the upper portion of a pigs rear legs I can guarantee that you are sorely mistaken.

Think about this: If you walked into a Deli and ordered a ham sandwich and received Pork Roll you’d probably not be happy, right? Why? Because Pork Roll is no kind of Ham.

If I called a roasted carrot a T-bone steak and sold it as such, I would rightly be told I can’t call it that and would have to change the name.

Additionally, it was never Taylor Ham, it was Taylor’s PREPARED Ham, so if you “original name” folks want to stand by that shaky argument, at least get it right.

I will concede Taylor Pork Roll as an acceptable name if that’s your preferred brand. 

Checkmate.

I don't understand all the discussion.

Bacon is clearly the superior pork product, and there is no confusion around what to call it, or what part of the pig it comes from.

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

I don't understand all the discussion.

Bacon is clearly the superior pork product, and there is no confusion around what to call it, or what part of the pig it comes from.

What kind of bacon?

https://www.therecipe.com/different-kinds-bacon-around-the-world/

14 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Show me ‘HAM’ on this package. 

Listen up, buddy! A man whose screen name screams his flagrant allegiance to another state should NOT even be weighing in on this! Do I tell you what kind of BBQ to cook? NO, I do not. That would be highly inappropriate... and rude.

So, pipe down, you interloper.. you foreign invader, you! (Besides, you've clearly fallen right off of your horse, cowboy, and landed on the wrong side of this controversial issue). :p

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Listen up, buddy! A man whose screen name screams his flagrant allegiance to another state should NOT even be weighing in on this! Do I tell you what kind of BBQ to cook? NO, I do not. That would be highly inappropriate... and rude.

So, pipe down, you interloper.. you foreign invader, you! (Besides, you've clearly fallen right off of your horse, cowboy, and landed on the wrong side of this controversial issue). :p

Oh lord, don’t mess with his Bbq. He’s very sensitive bout it

On 9/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I’m just saying...while I am from Texas, I can read....they taught us that back in school. 

Nowhere on that package do the letters H, A, and M appear together to form the word HAM. 

13 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Again, I reference this picture of the Taylor Pork Roll package....where’s the ham?

It saddens me to say that you are not only FIRED from your prior, glorious role as my Sr. Esteemed Enforcer (the end of an era?)... but, in addition, the mighty ban hammer is now poised with your big, yet fatally flawed noggin right in its path. Ruh-roh! :o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Pork Roll is a product . Taylor Ham is a brand of that product. I really don't understand the confusion. Vaseline is a brand of petroleum jelly, Band-Aid is a brand of adhesive strip

Image result for pork roll brands

Point of order: 

There is no “Taylor Ham Pork Roll”.

The brand is just “Taylor”. That’s it.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Point of order: 

There is no “Taylor Ham Pork Roll”.

The brand is just “Taylor”. That’s it.

And a point of order for you, Dearest High Exposure:

You, sir, are a wealth of information on firearms...

and yet a tragic dearth of information - a quagmire of confusion, if you will - when it comes to the history and traditions of NJ's pork products. :facepalm:

• FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Again, I reference this picture of the Taylor Pork Roll package....where’s the ham?

OK, so it doesn't say "ham" on the box...

But, did you look CLOSER at the ingredients?? Are you sure there's even some pork in the box?  :dontknow:

PR.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Not sensitive about it...I just know the difference between proper bbq and crock pot boiled ribs! :p

Crock pot boiled ribs?   Sounds more like a science experiment than a backyard dish. Maybe something invented by the guy that invented that monstrosity called a poached egg.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kevin125 said:

Crock pot boiled ribs?   Sounds more like a science experiment than a backyard dish. Maybe something invented by the guy that invented that monstrosity called a poached egg.

Poached eggs are bitchen dude. Jus sayen 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

Poached eggs are bitchen dude. Jus sayen 

Cant believe im doing this....I agree with Zeke on this particular comment regarding poached eggs.   Indeed, they are "bitchen".

And poaching prevents the worst Egg Sin of all,  Browning.   #brownedeggsareruined.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Bighungry618 said:

Cant believe im doing this....I agree with Zeke on this particular comment regarding poached eggs.   Indeed, they are "bitchen".

And poaching prevents the worst Egg Sin of all,  Browning.   #brownedeggsareruined.

Welcome to the dark side.

• Agree 1

On 9/13/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kevin125 said:

...........the guy that invented that monstrosity called a poached egg.

@Kevin125

I was wondering about your taste... now I can see that you don't have any....
Who on earth does not like traditional Eggs Benedict consisting of poached eggs with Canadian bacon on an English muffin covered with Hollandaise sauce, or for relevance to this thread, Eggs Benedict with that meat product that should not be named.....???

AVB-AMG

Image result for eggs benedict

Or below, with that meat product that cannot be named......

Image result for eggs benedict with pork roll

• Agree 2