Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

An amusing thing happened a couple days ago.  I went to a diner where they had Taylor Ham egg and cheese on the menu.  I ordered one and the waitress wrote it down as PEC no SPK.   BTW, the pork roll on my sandwich was not Taylor's, I'm pretty sure it was Trenton.

The problem with using the product name Taylor Ham, is that the restaurants that have it on the menu as such are probably not serving Taylor Pork Roll.  You are likely getting Case's or some other less expensive brand.  All you Taylor Hamsters are being played for suckers.  Taylor Ham is nothing more than a generic name now, used to trick idiots into thinking they are getting the genuine article.  Using the name Taylor ham creates an expectation that one will be getting Taylor Pork Roll, when the reality is, it's probably Case's or Trenton.

Taylor Pork Roll is Taylor Pork Roll

Taylor Ham is whatever pork roll product the restaurant wants to put on your sandwich.

29 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

An amusing thing happened a couple days ago.  I went to a diner where they had Taylor Ham egg and cheese on the menu.  I ordered one and the waitress wrote it down as PEC no SPK.   BTW, the pork roll on my sandwich was not Taylor's, I'm pretty sure it was Trenton.

The problem with using the product name Taylor Ham, is that the restaurants that have it on the menu as such are probably not serving Taylor Pork Roll.  You are likely getting Case's or some other less expensive brand.  All you Taylor Hamsters are being played for suckers.  Taylor Ham is nothing more than a generic name now, used to trick idiots into thinking they are getting the genuine article.  Using the name Taylor ham creates an expectation that one will be getting Taylor Pork Roll, when the reality is, it's probably Case's or Trenton.

Taylor Ham is whatever pork roll product the restaurant wants to put on your sandwich.

giphy.gif

It's on the internet so you know it's true.

https://jerseyporkroll.com/pork-roll-history/

The History of Pork Roll

Although several manufacturers make a generic product named “Pork Roll,” John Taylor’s Original Pork Roll is what most New Jerseyans ask for by name.  Made since 1856 it ia a main staple of diners, kitchens, Holiday tables, and boardwalks of the Garden State.

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll?  The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.”   Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

It's on the internet so you know it's true.

https://jerseyporkroll.com/pork-roll-history/

The History of Pork Roll

Although several manufacturers make a generic product named “Pork Roll,” John Taylor’s Original Pork Roll is what most New Jerseyans ask for by name.  Made since 1856 it ia a main staple of diners, kitchens, Holiday tables, and boardwalks of the Garden State.

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll?  The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.”   Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll?  The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.”   Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues,Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

And why was the name changed??? 

It didn’t meet the definition of ‘ham’. Because it’s NOT ham! 

In 1906, the government determined that Taylor’s Peppered Ham did not meet the definition of “ham” and so the name was changed to Taylor pork roll. In the following years, other companies began selling their own versions of pork roll.

https://iheartporkroll.com/taylor-pork-roll-history/#:~:text=His product’s original packaging consisted of his pork,began selling their own versions of pork roll.

Get it right. It’s Pork Roll. And it’s been that way for 115 years. 

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

48 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Taylor ham sounds more appealing than pork roll.

Steak, skirt steak, Prime rib sounds better than rear end if a cow.

Grilled cow ass sounds perfectly palatable. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Taylor ham sounds more appealing than pork roll.

Yes, it does sound more appealing.  That's why all y'all Taylor Hamsters are suckers.  They are serving you a tawdry imposter, unrelated to any Taylor product.  Anyone who still insists on calling it ham has fallen victim to bait and switch marketing.

Taylor "Ham" is what all lesser pork rolls are called.

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll?  The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.”   Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues,Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

In 1906, the government determined that Taylor’s Peppered Ham did not meet the definition of “ham” and so the name was changed to Taylor pork roll. In the following years, other companies began selling their own versions of pork roll.

https://iheartporkroll.com/taylor-pork-roll-history/#:~:text=His product’s original packaging consisted of his pork,began selling their own versions of pork roll.

giphy.gif

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

@Mrs. Peel

The truth shall set you free!

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

@Mrs. Peel

The truth shall set you free!

Now that you're way the hell out in Texas... I have even less patience for this abusive running commentary!!  :mad: 

Stay in your lane, Re-placed Texan! Just stick to BBQ.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Now that you're way the hell out in Texas... I have even less patience for this abusive running commentary!!  :mad: 

Stay in your lane, Re-placed Texan! Just stick to BBQ.

I love you, Peel:air_kiss:

• Agree 1

I don’t know what’s difficult about this. It’s written RIGHT ON THE PACKAGE….Pork Roll. 

‘Ham’ isn’t even in the ingredients list! I don’t know why this is even a debate. 

C28529FD-1D83-44C7-8C48-6A6F70DF75C0.jpeg

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

‘Ham’ isn’t even in the ingredients list! I don’t know why this is even a debate. 

Don't they come from the same animal?

......"Ham is from the pig’s hind leg while pork is any meat from pigs. Ham has a unique salty, sweet or smoky flavor, depending on the preservation process; pork does not have this unique flavor. Ham is ready-to-eat because it was processed already while pork can be in raw form and require cooking before being consumed."

https://difference.guru/difference-between-ham-and-pork/

So, you could be eating ANY part of the pig in your Pork Roll......  Yummy!!!

8 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Ham’ isn’t even in the ingredients list! I don’t know why this is even a debate

Means nothing, I don't see any mention of this name in the ingredients either, actually not really sure after reading I want one anymore. What the hell is meat slurry?

Common hot dog ingredients include:
  • Meat trimmings and fat, e.g. mechanically separated meat, pink slime, meat slurry.
  • Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika.
  • Preservatives (cure) – typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

IMG_1678.JPG