Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

1 hour ago, Bighungry618 said:

I'm fairly sure "scrapple" in this post is zekespeak code for something else....

And Mr Texan has the appropriate response.   

Anyway, I've seen how scrapple is made, and I still love that stuff, Mrs Hungry has banned it from the house, but out at a diner....game on.   Porkroll omelet - side of fried scrapple w/maple syrup.  Fo shiz!

I grew up helping my grandpa make scrapple. I thought it was normal for everyone to make and eat scrapple till I was middle school lol. 

I wish I was old enough to learn grandpa's recipe instead of just cranking the grinder. 

Scrapple is by far my favorite breakfast meat, gotta be crispy though! Porkroll and bacon are tied for second place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I grew up helping my grandpa make scrapple. I thought it was normal for everyone to make and eat scrapple till I was middle school lol. 

I wish I was old enough to learn grandpa's recipe instead of just cranking the grinder. 

Scrapple is by far my favorite breakfast meat, gotta be crispy though! Porkroll and bacon are tied for second place. 

Thin. Cooked well. With maple syrup!

When I was a kid we participated in a 3 pig butcher. The kids ( we) took all the scraps and cut the nasty parts off. And, we had a pig fat fight.

Big ole black cauldron atop a wood fire. The old man running the scrapple mix would fork out an organ here and there.

Heart tastes like rubber 

good times

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I will eat heart and tongue, but I draw the line at liver, pancreas, sweetbreads, kidney, and the other offal...yuck. 

I'll eat beef tongue and tendon and whatever's in scrapple and porkroll.
As for the other stuff....i'd say that offal is well.....just awful. 

55 minutes ago, siderman said:

read us the ingrediants lol....

The ingredients list reads: Nasty crap. Cornmeal. Preservatives. 

Dont put that stuff in your mouth....

34 minutes ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

Hey, I gotta pay the bills somehow

Oh wait, were still on scrapple....

Disreguard

Uhhhhhhhhh...like I said, you Yankees out some strange things in your mouth..

20 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

The ingredients list reads: Nasty crap. Cornmeal. Preservatives. 

Dont put that stuff in your mouth....

Uhhhhhhhhh...like I said, you Yankees out some strange things in your mouth..

My wife said I couldn't buy another gun she never said I couldn't cell myself for one it's all about the loopholes, happy wife happy life

10 hours ago, High Exposure said:

GB, It’s his real license plate. No shit.

He is wrong, but I admire his commitment and his tiddlywink spirit.

He is, in fact, 100 percent correct. And dare I say?... @Purple Patrick's leadership, commitment and spirit are downright inspirational. It's the stuff of legend really. :D

Get with the program, HE... and that goes for the rest of you pork rollers, too. You're on the wrong side of history. 

• Like 1

Peel, you could not be more wrong if you tried.

If you did try to be more wrong, you would fail and fail spectacularly at that.

Pork Roll is the generic name for the food.

Taylor is the specific brand of that food.

As I posted above in the photo from the menu - Taylor Pork Roll is acceptable if you wish to request a specific brand. Much like going to a bar to order an adult beverage and requesting the bartender make you a Kettle One and cranberry vs a vodka and cranberry - to make sure you get exactly what you want.

Oh, and it is Pork Roll. Capitalized to show respect.

• Like 3

HE? DT? You boys are starting to turn on me in a vile, pack-like manner... this is indeed a sad day!

Taylor Ham, the original product, as developed in 1856, was branded under the name Taylor Ham. I would argue that it was an over reaching government that forced poor Mr. Taylor to later change the product's name to Taylor Pork Roll. I will forever call it Taylor Ham for the following 3 impeccably logical reasons:

• I have a deep appreciation for tradition and history (criminy, I live in a house built in the 1860's!) I only serve Taylor Ham in This Old House.
  • I have a profound disrespect for the meddling of government bureaucrats... as 2A proponents, so should you! Out of respect for the late Mr. Taylor, it will always be referred to by this woman as Taylor Ham... as was originally intended.
  • It is acknowledged that "Taylor Ham" remains a common regional name for Taylor Pork Roll: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll - (and why, btw, a self-labelled "displaced Texan" of all people thinks he should even weigh in on this issue is quite beyond me! Stick with your BBQ, Tex! Don't mess with our Taylor Ham. You're out of your league.)

I will say Taylor Ham until the day I die... proudly and defiantly... just as I will continue to wish people a Merry Christmas, send paper Christmas cards, and celebrate the bold explorations of one Christopher Columbus, despite the loud wailing of SJWs.  Ha!

• Like 2