Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

Wow. You have no knowledge of the porkroll industry. But thanks for your highly intellectual advice

You're right. I don't have any knowledge of the porkroll industry. I'm only familiar with Taylor's Prepared Ham and not the knockoff brands like case's.

Also. Yes. Ketchup belongs on hot dog if you are ten years old or less. Other than that its mustard. Frenches yellow. Oh boy here we go again.

Yellow mustard?? You must be from Indiana (or somewhere in the Midwest). Guldens Brown!

I can't believe we have over 350 posts on a gun forum about the proper name to call a sack full of lips and @$$holes....

This isn't the Political section.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Yes Florida is definitely considered "South, South, Really South Jersey" I would expect them to call it "Pork Roll". Now if this were a restaurant in Vermont "Taylor Ham" would be the only acceptable reference to breakfast sandwich goodness!

There is pork roll. Taylor Ham is not pork roll.

If you want that greasy crappy Pennsylvania crap from Hatfield of the other sucky Dutchies out here (their other food is good though) then you can call it what it is - Pork Roll.

But Taylor Ham is Taylor Ham.

mipafox, on 16 Jun 2014 - 8:28 PM, said:

It's called Taylor Ham.

False...

It is Porkroll

Pork roll

Indeed... this has been established time after time.   It is the northern based Taylor Ham Spammers that fail to recognize the truth.  Acceptance is the first step to enlightenment.

I call it both, but someone calling out Case's as a come-lately imitator made me look the story up, and it's pretty interesting:

While a similar item, packed minced ham, may have been produced at the time of the Battle of Trenton,[3] John Taylor is credited with creating his secret recipe for the product in 1856. George Washington Case, a farmer and butcher from nearby Belle Mead, New Jersey, created his own recipe for pork roll in 1870. Case's was reportedly packaged in corn husks.[3]

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham",[4] but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. Marketed as both "Taylor's Pork Roll" and "Trenton Pork Roll", it saw competition from products with similar names like "Rolled Pork" and "Trenton style Pork Roll". When their makers were sued by Taylor a 1910 legal case ruled that the words "Pork Roll" could not be trademarked.[4] In North Jersey, residents continue to use the term Taylor Ham.

So, Case's is an imitator, but only 14 years newer at 145 years, where Taylor's is 158 years old.

I call it both, but someone calling out Case's as a come-lately imitator made me look the story up, and it's pretty interesting:

While a similar item, packed minced ham, may have been produced at the time of the Battle of Trenton,[3] John Taylor is credited with creating his secret recipe for the product in 1856. George Washington Case, a farmer and butcher from nearby Belle Mead, New Jersey, created his own recipe for pork roll in 1870. Case's was reportedly packaged in corn husks.[3]

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham",[4] but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. Marketed as both "Taylor's Pork Roll" and "Trenton Pork Roll", it saw competition from products with similar names like "Rolled Pork" and "Trenton style Pork Roll". When their makers were sued by Taylor a 1910 legal case ruled that the words "Pork Roll" could not be trademarked.[4] In North Jersey, residents continue to use the term Taylor Ham.

So, Case's is an imitator, but only 14 years newer at 145 years, where Taylor's is 158 years old.

So...it is really Taylor's Ham and was forced to change its name on a technicality.

It is simple, it is TAYLOR BRAND PORK ROLL. there are other brands out there, but the are NOT TAYLOR!

Call it what you want, but its Taylor Ham, always will be.

Someone should petition to get this on a ballot! Pork roll or Taylor Ham, let the voters decide!

I cant have CCW in this state, at least I have Taylor Ham! Its my only reason for waking up in the morning. :D