Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

1 hour ago, Purple Patrick said:

Pastrami all day. Not the biggest rye fan unless it's really good stuff

#taylorhamlivesmatter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No knowledgeable person ever serves bad rye bread.

If they have bad rye bread they probably have bad pastrami or corned beef.

• Like 2

Just about 6 to 7 hrs to go.  
Brand new PBC?.....so freaking sweet. That starter chimney looks new too.   

What's up with that temp?...57° ?  is that celsius.  Not criticizing just curious.   Assuming that's the meat temp, and that your transmitter alternates cooker temp/food temp. You're using Hickory chunks eh..not post-oak or oak? I....we use hickory for 90% of smoker proteins, your choice is interesting because of your Lone Starness and all.  but hey....I'll take my sammich just like you posted earlier thank you very much.  Oh and to stay on topic...."pork roll"

Not a brand new PBC, I take good care of it, and clean it after every use. It IS a new chimney starter, I got sick of lighting the charcoal the old fashioned way. 

I use a little mesquite for brisket, Texas tradition. I have an abundance of mesquite trees on the ranch, and I bring back a little every trip.  I will use hickory, or Apple for pork. Not too much, as I don’t like my meats oversmoked. Just a little flavor to enhance the meat. 

Takes about 8 hours to do a 15lb brisket on the PBC. At around the 6 hour point, I will wrap it in foil and pour a little liquid (beef broth, beer, etc) in the package to keep it all moist and juicy. I’ve found by using this method, you don’t get the ‘stall’ at 185-190*. Meat comes out nice, tender, juicy, and has a nice smoke flavor. 

The temp was my crappy wireless thermometer. I have replaced it with the wired one I have used for years. Can’t seem to figure the wireless one out to my satisfaction. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Not a brand new PBC, I take good care of it, and clean it after every use. It IS a new chimney starter, I got sick of lighting the charcoal the old fashioned way. ..........

Honestly I wasn't inferring anything in the last post.   My questions, comments are all about seeking knowledge, BBQ is a relatively new (few years) challenge for me...one I find excruciatingly difficult to master, and something I can talk about for days.  8 hours for a 15lb brisket is pretty quick....that PBC must be a beast at holding its temp. 

My two attempts at brisket offered less than desirable results by my standards.  In one attempt I employed the "Crutch" as you outlined and the meat was tender but the bark was soggy...good flavor too but the texture was a little mushy....the other never got that tender, and stalled at 170 something for about 5 hours, but better bark  I'm guessing that my temp was too low at 230°↨ for both cooks but I changed too many things between them to gain any "learnin".  Cook times were about 15 hours for both before hitting 198°.  

You should start a thread-  "BBQ, the Displaced Texan's Way"   I don't want to hijack this thread or distract from that fact that 44.44% of members of this forum are Lunatic-Left-Wing-Taylor-Ham-Communists, but I gots questions....lots of questions.  Rub/no rub vs S&P, temp, actual smoke time vs time in the cooker, burnt ends,  etc etc..

You and I have a similar remote probe set-ups and I am considering this one as I find the Maverick to be less than accurate. Just fyi

• Like 1

Next time I fire up the PBC (which will probably be for my thanksgiving turkey), I will start a ‘Displaced Texans’ smoked meats’ thread. 

Good bbq brisket starts with a good brisket. I’ve had my share of less than optimal results, and mostly, it comes down to a decent quality piece of meat to start with. 

I use a dry rub on most all my bbq. I recently gave Zeke my ‘secret’ bbq rub recipes...they came from a Southern Living cookbook. Not really so top secret, lol. I modify them a little to suit my own tastes, but below are the recipes.

I don’t care for heavily smoked meats. The wood should not overpower the meat. If smoke is all you smell when you serve the meat, it’s over smoked, IMHO. I did a couple of pork tenderloins a few weeks ago over hickory, and they turned out amazing. Light smoke. Tender, juicy, but the full flavor of the pork stood out over the smoke. The PBC really shines, if you follow the instructions, and use only a handful of wood chips. You’ll taste the meat with a hint of smoky goodness. 

Mesquite is a strongly flavored smoke. I only use it with brisket, and even then, only a bit. Hickory is the next strongest I use...only with pork and ribs. I use apple, or cherry for chicken. Thanksgiving will be my first experience smoking a turkey, but if it goes as well as chicken, it will be amazing (I hope). 

Feel free to ask away on bbq. I’m happy to share what I have learned over the years. PM me, and I’ll give you my number, if you like. 

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled argument about Yankee ham/pork roll product..

2024530A-6E6F-490A-983E-519A27AB3CC5.jpeg

790198E2-B1E1-4BBE-8037-5E0E65923781.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

True barbeque is as much an art as a science.  Some of the best barbeque Ive had was prepared in a split 55 gallon drum alongside the road in rural Georgia.

Agree. Some of the best I ever had came from roadside bbq shacks alongside the interstate in Texas. Most notably, Joels BBQ in Flatonia Tx. They got all fancy a few years ago, and got themselves a website (http://www.joelsbarbq.com/), but I remember them from over 30 years ago when they were a shack alongside I-10. We stopped there every time we went out to the deer lease. My dad will sometimes make a 3+ hour drive out there just for a brisket sandwich, if he’s feeling the need for one!

• Like 3

@Displaced Texan, although I've crossed Texas about 8 times on I-10 I've never had the pleasure of having roadside Texas barbeque.

I've had some of the best Mexican food ever in a little place in Big Spring though.  My friend tried to get me married to the cook who was a gorgeous Mexican girl.  That was in 1980 so I dont know if  its still there. Keep in mind that's after spending a few years living 5 miles from Mexico.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

@Displaced Texan, although I've crossed Texas about 8 times on I-10 I've never had the pleasure of having roadside Texas barbeque.

I've had some of the best Mexican food ever in a little place in Big Spring though.  My friend tried to get me married to the cook who was a gorgeous Mexican girl.  That was in 1980 so I dont know if  its still there. Keep in mind that's after spending a few years living 5 miles from Mexico.

Big Spring isn’t all that far from my ranch. What’s the name of the Mexican joint? I’ll have a look in March when I go out. 

9 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Big Spring isn’t all that far from my ranch. What’s the name of the Mexican joint? I’ll have a look in March when I go out. 

Can't remember that was in 1980.  It was attached to a motel on the south side of 10.  Keep in mind that cute Mexican girl is probably about 60 now!

18 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

Shit I was expecting my own thread

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@rayray will Probably start one for you 

On 11/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, silverado427 said:

23157087_1571995416195672_6107922810767227329_o.jpg

I kinda want this as my commemorative New Jersey tattoo. Lol

There's still time for Christmas shopping! Perhaps this item can help sway a sad lil' pork roller in your life? You must know one! They, sadly, continue to lurk among us.... wallowing in their ignorance... blissfully clinging to their foolish ways....

https://www.zazzle.com/its_taylor_ham_baby_t_shirt-235337478211500457