le_boudin

Home appliance heating, cooling warranty/protection program

are you referring to a home warranty? i have used The Warranty group.. i have had my furnace, a/c unit and hot water heater all replaced in the last 4 years for a total OOP cost of about $2,500 (it covers some things but not everything).

BUT, they sometimes have a hard time finding contractors to do work for them because warranty companies dont pay them very quickly

Got a home warranty with the house. Well pump broke, they refused to cover it. They tricked the well tech into saying that the wires shorted out and burned the pump. That's BS because the wires had no problem with the insulation, they just had minor scuffs but no tears or cuts.

Try American home shield. We've had it for years and they have very timely in getting item fixed and paying the worker.

Furnace took a dump this past winter and I paid 1800 out of pocket on a 8k system. We were able to pick which system we wanted and they have us 250 for space heaters and 500 for hotel fees while the scheduled the work

Our plan is 54 a month with a 95 deductible but we are covered for all major appliances, garage doors, wiring, plumbing, pumps...everything

I use self insurance - if it breaks I pay for it, if it does not I spent no money. Seriously, unless you insure every single item you own insurance is likely flushing money down the crapper. Odds are what you don't insure is what breaks.

My house is about 20 years old. In a 3 year old house, you don't have as much to worry about. Problems with my hot water heater didn't start until about 8 years after the house was built. It was roughly 12 or so years before parts in the heating unit started needing replacement. The utility company's maintenance plan is relatively inexpensive, and the response time is reasonable. With a plumbing and heating company, a service call can be quite expensive, and there's no telling how soon they can come to fix the problem (especially in the middle of a cold snap when they're flooded with calls). I'm not a big believer in maintenance contracts, but the house heater and hot water heater contracts have served me well.

my house was built in 1969.. the furnace was original to the house and the HW heater was about 17-20 years old.. A/C needed to be replaced because the SEER was different than the furnace after i got that replaced..

Howard - i disagree wholeheartedly on that (depending on the age of the home, that is).. i have a basic home warranty, and its paid for itself 4x over for the stuff ive had done. Ive had electrical, plumbing, all the major appliance systems and a couple other things like the built in microwave circuit board and duct work replaced. The cost of replacing a furnace alone is worth 10 years of paying for the home warranty.

ryanj - yeah, well pumps are usually not covered unless you pay extra.. when its time to replace mine (which might be soon), that will have to be OOP

How old are your houses that your replacing all of these heating units.... I'm in a 3 year old house and don't carry this but should I?

If you have a 3 year old house, doesn't your house have a 10 year warranty from the state?

I have heard some decent things about PSE&G worry free services. They seem to rate at about 75% satisfaction from dealing with people that have had them out. I myself use the "If its broke I gotta fix it" plan. I am a fairly handy individual though and the worst ive had to fix is a honewell smart valve on my furnace last winter, a water heater, and a washing machine. I just attribute that to the cost of home ownership.

Ken