Cemeterys Gun Blob

5/02 Gun Control Hearing in Trenton - Post comments here

Was wondering if anybody was at the hearing today in Trenton, maybe we could keep all the comments about today's hearing here.

Also, remember to follow #nj2as on Twitter for live tweets by NJ2AS

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23nj2as&src=hash

thanks i think thats only audio though, tuesday there was a link to watch through another website. not sure if its the same today.

Patience grasshopper. Once the hearing starts you'll be able to watch it if they're offering video.

i found it rather disappointing for nj2as to cancel the buses and basically throw in the towel for today. With an email saying they might not even go themselves. But anjrpc said we still want everyone to go and we will be there. makes me think they are on 2 different pages. kinda upsetting to see them not working together and both fighting like they were on Tuesday.

i found it rather disappointing for nj2as to cancel the buses and basically throw in the towel for today.

It's a cash vs effect issue (I'm speculating). It's difficult to take off multiple days in one week for these kangaroo court "hearings". Our elected representatives are going to do what they want, regardless of any opposition. It's beyond time to take this back, one representative at a time, one county at a time, one state at a time.

Is it true that these bills have to go through the budget committee now? Can anyone else see Christie picking them apart because they will cost the state too much?

One of the major issues with S2723 is cost of implementation. The legislators do not understand the current process and problems, and have no idea of this real ability to implement (several admitted this very fact).

I'm down here in the hearing room. Still lots of open seats. I had already arranged to take the day off before I found out that the buses were cancelled, and it was too late to change. So I drove down. Frank F. And Scott B. are here. Our legislators do not seem to adhere to a strict schedule.

Anyone else from the board in the room?

It's a cash vs effect issue (I'm speculating). It's difficult to take off multiple days in one week for these kangaroo court "hearings". Our elected representatives are going to do what they want, regardless of any opposition. It's beyond time to take this back, one representative at a time, one county at a time, one state at a time.

i understand that, but i as i said its discouraging for them to basically say were throwing in the towel. They could have said we are cancelling buses. done didnt have to say they might not even attend because there is no point. if nobody attends especially one of the biggest organizations in the state we just look worse and like more of us support it. now the news will show only 10 people showed up against the bills.

i found it rather disappointing for nj2as to cancel the buses and basically throw in the towel for today. With an email saying they might not even go themselves. But anjrpc said we still want everyone to go and we will be there. makes me think they are on 2 different pages. kinda upsetting to see them not working together and both fighting like they were on Tuesday.

This is cynical, but I wonder if they realized that we were doing more harm to ourselves than good with some of the more extreme speakers. Like the guy who got into a shouting match with Norcross. Or the guy baiting the antis waiting in line by asking them which nursing home they came from and letting them know there's a pharmacy around the corner that sells Depends.

Can someone PLEASE point out in a tactful delivery that Bryan Miller IS NOT a NJ resident and has not been for YEARS! The credence given to him in NJ matters blows me away!

Particularly since Pennsylvania is several orders of magnitude more 2A friendly and a resident can legally purchase a machine gun there. Or is it all because his cause has been a dismal failure in Pennsylvania?

Particularly since Pennsylvania is several orders of magnitude more 2A friendly and a resident can legally purchase a machine gun there. Or is it all because his cause has been a dismal failure in Pennsylvania?

Given that antis are reading this thread, could we clarify for their benefit: yes, technically you can buy a machine gun in PA. There are very narrow exemptions to the federal ban on machine guns. Basically collectors with $20k or so to spend can buy one of the dwindling number of very old machine guns that were in existence before the federal ban in the 30s. I don't have one, I don't want one, and I don't know anyone who can afford one.

As far as I know, none of these wealthy collectors have EVER used their antique machine guns in committing a crime.

Finally, all those clips you see on TV of machine guns and the claims by Obama and last night by the senior sheriff of Union county that machine guns were used at Newtown or in any other crime are lies. I say lies rather than inaccuracies, because we have corrected them ad nauseum, and they continue to make these claims. These lies undermine their credibility, so I don't know why they persist.

As far as I know, none of these wealthy collectors have EVER used their antique machine guns in committing a crime.

Also to clarify, AFAIK in all of US history, a .50 BMG rifle has never been used in a crime, and a legally owned machine gun has been used in a homicide exactly twice since ownership has been restricted (and one of those homicides was by a moonlighting LEO).

But my point was that all these firearms are quite legal in Miller's own Pennsylvania and you can walk over there from where the hearings are being held in Trenton. If he thinks it will do any good, why doesn't he start with his own home state? And if they won't listen to him in Pennsylvania, why should people listen to him in New Jersey?

Woman testifying from Sportsman's Association suggests that FID be linked to photo voter ID, which results in a few cheers.

We have just been cautioned that the next outburst of spontaneous applause will result in expulsions.