fishnut

Who has a garden and what do you grow?

I just got done fertilizing the garden with the stuff fishnut recommended and it reminded me of a funny event since that fertilizer is marketed toward pot farmers.  When PX was still a home-based business, when I applied for the FFL, we were starting plants in the climate-controlled garage which I was also using for work purposes.  When ATF came to do the site inspection/interview, they saw two long tables of seedling plants with grow lights on them.  The IOI looked at me with a funny look and I opened the garage door to show him the garden where all of those plants were going.  "Relax, I'm not growing pot."  Every time he came back to do an inspection, we had plants on that table and he'd joke about it. Ahh, good times.

• Like 1

UHNMrsU.jpg

After about six weeks of treating with the fertilizer that fishnut recommended, the plants have continued to do well.  We have about a dozen butternut squash already and we're getting an increasing number of tomatoes of all varieties.  I just ordered another gallon of the Tiger Bloom to feed them through the fruiting portion of the life cycle.  Those tomato plants in the back are over 9' tall now.

• Like 2

Impressive MIdwestPX!

Something ate most of my tomato plants.  Not just the vegetables but the limbs.  Still have a few left though.

I'm wondering if it's too late to plant some fall squash.  Will have to do some googling to see if I have enough time if I get them in this weekend.

Not big on fertilizer myself..

The tomatoes (especially the grape tomatoes) have done well; we have a ridiculous amount at my mothers house and neither of us have purchased tomatoes at all this summer.
The eggplants are producing nicely, as well.. Cucumber took a while to take root due to some animal eating the plant constantly down to the root (and completely killing one of the two that were planted). Same animal keeps eating the cabbage and broccoli plants, all of which either completely died after being chewed down to a nub or simply are growing very poorly now and will yield no vegetables.

Next year, i'll be sticking to the big producers... A few tomato plants, 4 eggplant plants (have 3 now, and we get about two eggplants a week lately), a few cucumber plants, and zucchini as well as squash.. Peppers never seem to grow/produce right, and the broccoli and such have all been failures. I like plants that produce a lot as i enjoy seeing things grow after all of the hard work of setting up the garden beds and such... I'll probably try some other stuff like maybe watermelon or something, but for now those are the major ones... Not much work, they tend to do it all themselves, just gotta water em'.

Lamo- look into Fox Farm fertilizer you might change your mind about fertilizer and then all your plans will be big producers. I literally have bags and bags of tomatoes hot peppers sweet peppers and bell peppers that I pick a daily.

We got tomatoes coming out of ears. Every few days we pull 8-10 various regular tomatoes and 10-20 cherries. My neighbors love us. My boys(8 & 11) think it's cool that they are feeding friends and neighbors.

Our cucumber plants were great last month but this heat finally did em in despite watering daily. Still have a few cucs growing but most plants have turned tan/brown. Spearmint and basil still growing like weeds. Lol.

• Like 1

Tomatoes of all varieties are coming in strong now, esp. the yellow grape tomatoes. Kirby cukes in abundance the last two weeks, pickles abound.  Herbs have been steady for a while now, beginning to use the dehydrator so we can bottle them,  Still getting green squash, yellow seems to be done.  Peppers are late, will start next week.  Will start to turn over a bed to start second crop of mixed greens, but always loose a lot to the rabbits, who again have made a nest under the cucumber plants.   Hasenpfeffer about 8 weeks away.

I've expanded to 3 garden this year. 2 for the schools I work at and 1 at home. Tomatos, bell, sweet and hot peppers, onion, potatos, sweet potatos, wild razberrys, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, radish, pumpkins, watermelon, a variety of lettuce, kale, snowpees, a variety of herbs, and an assortment of flowers.

Anyone into gardening should check out Fox Farm nutrents. They market allot of their nutrents towards pot growers but it's great for growing veggies and flowers too. Just ask Midwestpx how he likes it.

Bought a ton of seeds this year.

I haven't had any luck with my soil at my new house- I should have it tested. This year I would like to just dig it all out and import topsoil but the smallest quantity seems to be a triaxle load for $200 or spend a ton on bags at home depot.

I've expanded to 3 garden this year. 2 for the schools I work at and 1 at home. Tomatos, bell, sweet and hot peppers, onion, potatos, sweet potatos, wild razberrys, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, radish, pumpkins, watermelon, a variety of lettuce, kale, snowpees, a variety of herbs, and an assortment of flowers.

Anyone into gardening should check out Fox Farm nutrents. They market allot of their nutrents towards pot growers but it's great for growing veggies and flowers too. Just ask Midwestpx how he likes it.

Based off your recommendations I picked up their dirty dozen kit to try at our work garden. I have one extra(I had to buy 2 minimum) that I can't sell at work so if anyone wants it for cost $70 and a decent 6 pack pm me

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

Im gonna grow. Medicinal marijuana. . Lotta paperwork to fill out though.

Reminds of this... 

"Flying overhead in a helicopter, they were searching for marijuana plants and thought they spotted some in Perry’s yard. The officers, weapons drawn, invaded the yard with a K-9 unit. But what they thought were marijuana plants turned out to be okra plants. "

I would like to get into setting up a small garden on the side of my house that happens to get decent sun, a water bib in the area and goes largely unused. I just don't know the best place to start.

Assumed going with raised beds would be best (have read up on their setup) but know little about the optimum soil setup, how/when to start seedlings indoors, when to plant outdoors, and general monitoring and upkeep. I'm pretty strapped for time and would need to choose some hearty/forgiving plants that don't require a ton of effort and figure out the right size of bed(s) to start with. We also have the occasional deer and rabbits so will need to figure out some minimalist fencing.

Looking for input.

On 2/7/2017 at 7:37 AM, gleninjersey said:

Who in NJ is already starting to think about what they want to plant once it warm up?

Also, what did you learn from last year? Mistakes to avoid again this year and success you hope to replicate.

Weather starting to warm up (finally).

Some of you had some very impressive gardens.

What are you planning on growing this year? What have you started doing? Turning beds, buying seeds, expanding garden, etc.?

55 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Planting a couple of fruit trees.  Dwarf Apple and Asian Pear.

I don’t think we can use those terms anymore. I think it’s “Circumference Callenged Apple” and “Pacific Rim Pears”. 

• Like 1