blksheep

AR500 steel

Someone's got to head it up other than me, I dont have enough time to be orchestrating the whole thing. If someone wants to gather orders & funds I'll make up the CAD files and work out the plate nesting. We should keep to one basic design and only a few sizes. Last time we ran I believe 3 or 4 sizes, the less sizes the better. I'de suggest whoeever wants to head this up start a new thread with a size poll.

I'm going to get in touch with my steel guy & waterjet guy and try and get a ballpark price

Last time we did 1/2", you guys want 1/2" again? Its a little overkill but will never deform lol. Downside is its heavier and more expensive.

Medic2264 has a bunch at a smokin' price.

I got some a while ago and I know he sold some to a few other guys all with good results.

I have shot mine with 5.56 and .308 with no issues.

Check here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/41683-wts-ar500-steel-targets-12-thick/page__hl__medic2264__fromsearch__1

I put a call in to my supplier and to the cutter.

Should have preliminary pricing tomorrow. Pricing should be awesome.

Laser cut will be far cheaper than waterjet, heat affected zone will be less than plasma or torch somewhere to the tune of 30 thousandths of an inch. I've cut AR500 with a torch before, slowly by hand and had no ill effects anyways.

The supplier makes uparmor kits for humvees so I will trust his word!

I put a call in to my supplier and to the cutter.

Should have preliminary pricing tomorrow. Pricing should be awesome.

Laser cut will be far cheaper than waterjet, heat affected zone will be less than plasma or torch somewhere to the tune of 30 thousandths of an inch. I've cut AR500 with a torch before, slowly by hand and had no ill effects anyways.

The supplier makes uparmor kits for humvees so I will trust his word!

Laser cut, plasma cut, or torch cut you are going to mess with the heat treat of the AR500 steel. Yes it is a lot cheaper to cut it that way, but why take a chance with safety. Spend the extra money and go with a water jet cut. The last targets I had made up were done that way, they came out great, and no issues. The company that did the cutting for me tried to get me to go that way (laser/plasma/torch), but I would't relent.

Alec shoot me a text. Id be willing to head up the steel group buy personally. Just dont have a vehicle to transport it.

Henry

I'm in for this. Henry, I have a truck also, if the delivery is up your way i'd be willing to bring the stuff for the southern guys down my way. Let me know.

Laser cut, plasma cut, or torch cut you are going to mess with the heat treat of the AR500 steel. Yes it is a lot cheaper to cut it that way, but why take a chance with safety. Spend the extra money and go with a water jet cut. The last targets I had made up were done that way, they came out great, and no issues. The company that did the cutting for me tried to get me to go that way (laser/plasma/torch), but I would't relent.

The target I got from you is definitely hard rite to the edge. I have zinged it a few times with a 308 and it didnt even roll the corner over or anything. The bolts didnt fare so well. I shot a bolt out of it more than once!

Ken

Ok this is looking like its going to be pretty popular. We did rounds last go round, what shape would people be interested in now. I think a 3/4 scale USPSA target or some rectangles would be cool.