Howard

Went shooting 3 times in 24 hours! Pictures

Pics look good. Me and the gf went on a picnic yesterday at Washington lake park (in sewell, right where I live) and we had a family with 5 baby geese join us lol, she got pictures I didn't I was to busy feeding them and myself lol.

No Canon, I only use Nikon!!! I took these at Burnham park in Morristown. I guess it was a high capacity Camera, the Hawk was with a Nikon D800e which is 36 mega pixels and was using a 200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter.

Definitely HIGH CAPACITY!

No Canon, I only use Nikon!!! I took these at Burnham park in Morristown. I guess it was a high capacity Camera, the Hawk was with a Nikon D800e which is 36 mega pixels and was using a 200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter.

Nice. Just picked up a D800 this week. Looking forward to the nice weather this weekend to get out and put it to good use.

Nice. Just picked up a D800 this week. Looking forward to the nice weather this weekend to get out and put it to good use.

You will love the D800. Just a couple of things you need to consider, with 36mp good hand holding technique is critical. I find it a good thing to shoot at a shutter speed that is 50% faster than what I would have shot with my D700. Also for sharpest images avoid diffraction by trying to keep the f/stop no smaller than f/8 when possible. Also quality glass is a must, don't even think of using kit lenses. Enjoy and don't forget to share images.

You will love the D800. Just a couple of things you need to consider, with 36mp good hand holding technique is critical. I find it a good thing to shoot at a shutter speed that is 50% faster than what I would have shot with my D700. Also for sharpest images avoid diffraction by trying to keep the f/stop no smaller than f/8 when possible. Also quality glass is a must, don't even think of using kit lenses. Enjoy and don't forget to share images.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm comming out of my 10 year old D100.. Going from 6mp to 36mp is a large leap. Not used to dealing with +50mb files...

Picked up some nice glass for it too. Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D and a nice prime 85mm f/1.4D. Also got do it all 28-300mm. Unfortunately all my other lenses were DX so dropped a bit of cash but you only live once.

So with an effective lens lenth of 400mm were you using a monopod or tripod? Did you use a ND filter to stop it down?

So with an effective lens lenth of 400mm were you using a monopod or tripod? Did you use a ND filter to stop it down?

Shot hand-held without any filters. Here is the exif data for the hawk shot:

Camera Nikon D800E Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600) Aperture f/7.1 Focal Length 340 mm ISO Speed 800 Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

Shot hand-held without any filters. Here is the exif data for the hawk shot:

Camera Nikon D800E Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600) Aperture f/7.1 Focal Length 340 mm ISO Speed 800 Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

Nice. Even with the teleconverter, there was no noticeable lens distortion or motion blur on the 2nd and 3rd shots. I thought you had the camera stopped down further than that, leading to the ND filter question. Bumping up the ISO gave you the F-stop and shutter speed you needed to get the job done. Nice photos. Sorry to the non-photo geeks for the use of bandwidth.

That data was just for the photo of the Hawk. The two of the baby geese were actually taken with my little Nikon D5000 and Nikon 28-300VR lens, shot at 300mm at 1/800th of a second, ISO400, f/7.1. Had a wide angle lens on the D800e that day and just happened to notice the geese and quickly grabbed the "toy" camera :)