Sign in to follow this  
awynne56

red dot on flip to side mount

Hi guys, I looked but couldn't find this answer. I have a primary arm red dot sight, I know I have to rezero every time I take it off and put back on. If I got a flip to side mount would I need too rezero. I like to switch back and forth red dot and buis. It has a 1/3 lower cowitness. Thanks for the help

If you are already set up to co witness, why remove the sight? It's more practical to train with the optic in place, as the point of Back Up Iron Sights, is for back up when the primary sight goes down. If you are just plinking, it's immaterial, but if it's a personal defense weapon, we fight as we train, and you won't be pulling your primary in the middle of a gun fight...

Because the RDS is made to cowitness with the BUIS there's not a big demand for a flip to side RDS mount. Just doesn't make sense to move it. I have a flip to side mount for a scope. When it's flipped, it throws the whole rifle off balance. I don't like it.

To be honest, as long as you're not leaving the optic loose when it's mounted it shouldn't lose zero if you put it back in the same spot. As for a FTS mount for an optic, I think the fact a little play is necessary for a hinge and the latching mechanism would give it an unreliable and inconsistent mounting platform. Just go with what people have said and use the BUIS through the optics; the co-witness is there for good reason!

Hi guys, I looked but couldn't find this answer. I have a primary arm red dot sight, I know I have to rezero every time I take it off and put back on. If I got a flip to side mount would I need too rezero. I like to switch back and forth red dot and buis. It has a 1/3 lower cowitness. Thanks for the help