Hey All,

I have a question, and yes I searched the forums and some other sites first, but didn't see anything. I am pretty diligent in maintaining my paperwork, but wonder what should happen if I lose my COEs for my rifles? Sandy is the example I have in mind, since I almost lost some stuff from flooding, but thankfully was prepared and moved everything to higher ground.

Since we don't register long arms in NJ (and no, I don't plan on it), there would be no way to show proof of obtaining them legally if ever needed. I know this is a hypothetical, but I am very curious.

Thank you!

I would suggest contacting the original seller (person you purchased from) and ask if they could make you a copy. What i do is i have a folder on my mac named (firearm info)and i scan all of my coe and p2p, even receipts and i create files for each firearm with scans of all the info for each specific one. And i keep a hard copy in my safe. Explain your situation to the original seller. All you should have to show is your fid and DL.

I dont really care about them, its a paper i have to fill out to purchase not retain.

I guess that is part of the question - is there a burden of proof on us to retain?

I would suggest contacting the original seller (person you purchased from) and ask if they could make you a copy. What i do is i have a folder on my mac named (firearm info)and i scan all of my coe and p2p, even receipts and i create files for each firearm with scans of all the info for each specific one. And i keep a hard copy in my safe. Explain your situation to the original seller. All you should have to show is your fid and DL.

Thanks, the computer folder is a great idea, I may do that myself. I am even thinking, you may want to store on a cloud drive so it isn't tied to your physical computer, which can also be damaged in a fire, flood, etc.

I dont really care about them, its a paper i have to fill out to purchase not retain.

I kinda feel the same way, it seems that they're more for the seller. If the buyer were to go do something wrong with them you can show the fuzz that you sold that gun.

I could be way off though.

I am not advocating or saying its ok, but I have purposefully not kept any paperwork. I've thrown out all receipts coe's and permits. I'm more afraid of my wife figuring out that not all guns cost $500 then getting asked to prove I legally own anything.

I dont know of any requirement that you keep paperwork, just that you execute it at the time of the transfer. Remember if the law asks you where you purchased a firearm your default thought process should be to refuse volunteering any information in the first place. The police have no right to interrogate you. Moreover, five years is the limitation period for prosecution under New Jersey and the feds. So you could have bought something without a COE more than five years ago and it doesn't matter. Even if it was a crime it is time barred. So long as your present possession is legal, there is no basis for the law asking you how you acquired it originally. So keeping papers for five years makes sense but if you lose them somehow it wouldn't be anything to lose sleep over.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I am not advocating or saying its ok, but I have purposefully not kept any paperwork. I've thrown out all receipts coe's and permits. I'm more afraid of my wife figuring out that not all guns cost $500 then getting asked to prove I legally own anything.

LMAO! Been there done that. I like to trade up as well or in a pinch swap ammo as well. I love when the stores have those big sales.

What I've learned over time I have several fireproof boxes and have copys of most important documents, pictures that are ireplacable, sd card documentation of valuables, etc. I have them at differant locations parents, kids. The reason for this is in case fire, floods, breakin. etc. In the past friends and family have lost such things that are ireplacable to such things. In such an instance as Sandy I have access to the these because they were lost but not really. They were somewhere else out of harms way.