EX Carnival man

You guys have to see this dash cam video

Good response and quick actions, thankfully they survived and seems like they will live through their injuries. To bad that white car in the back round didn't floor it forward and kill that scumbag with their car.

To bad that white car in the back round didn't floor it forward and kill that scumbag with their car.

I have often wondered passing traffic stops if I would think fast enough to do something like that were the LEOs receiving fire.

Love to see the toxicology report on this clown.. He took a good number of shots to finally get him down

Agreed, although I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on anything either. I remember the FBI doing a study on a similar incident because a PD claimed their HP bullets were not working because he was shot 27/29 times before he went down. ( I don't remember the fact of drugs on his person unfortunately).

They shot and killed a guy who knelt down after yelling "Kill me!" at them. Suicide by cop

He knelt down to reload of course their going to shoot and kill him.

There is an unedited video but I don't think I can post it in this SIG because it's graphic

PM me link?

The above video did not show the entire thing, after kneeling down the man still kept his rifle pointed towards the two officers, did not appear to fire his rifle but I will now agree with suicide by cop motive.

Full video below. NSFW.

www. youtube. com/watch?v=ADHoBijaqNU

It looks like he had already got hit, and was injured, hence him dropping do a knee. At that point it appears an officer reloads and shoots until the lunatic is no longer a threat.

Also, it appears an armed citizen that is out of the frame of the video (presumably to the left) comes to assist the officers.

You can hear another male voice say something I can't quite make out, but sounds like "Don't shoot, are you okay?". You can then hear him say "I have a pistol. How bad you hit?"

This sounds like justification that we need bigger magazines to protect us from these nut jobs.

If it takes 29 rounds to knock this guy down, why should we be limited to 10 or 15

Officer Savage fired 29 rounds.

<snip>

Dash cam video released from Middlefield police shows a man shooting at police with an assault rifle during a traffic stop in March.

During a news conference Friday, police showed the weapons and other items that were found in the suspect’s car.

According to police, officers pulled over James Gilkerson, 42, of Mentor-on-the-Lake, on March 10 for failing to stop at the intersection of East High Street and North State Avenue.

The video shows Gilkerson getting out of the car and firing an AK-47-style rifle at the police officers.

Officers Erin Thomas and Brandon Savage were injured by gunfire. Thomas was shot in the hand. Savage was able to fire back and strike Gilkerson.

Gilkerson then moves back toward his car and yells “kill me” while continuing to fire shots.

A report released by the Geauga County prosecutor’s office said Gilkerson fired 33 rounds at the officers.

His gun had a 40-round magazine attached. Officer Savage fired 29 rounds.

Inside Gilkerson’s car, police found multiple loaded magazines and loads of ammunition, ski masks and gloves, military-style ammo cans, a scoped .22 caliber rifle, instructional DVDs and books such as “Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives,” “Advance Close-Range Gunfighting,” Homemade Detonators” and others.

The prosecutor ruled earlier this week that both officers acted in self defense and would not face any charges.

That guy was a lousy shot, he got what he deserved...

Not that lousy, he dumped about 8 rounds right through the windshield in front of the driver's face area. Good thing whoever was driving was able to duck and unass the car quick enough.

Not that lousy, he dumped about 8 rounds right through the windshield in front of the driver's face area. Good thing whoever was driving was able to duck and unass the car quick enough.

good thing they were not wearing a seat belt!!!!

Full video below. NSFW.

www. youtube. com/watch?v=ADHoBijaqNU

It looks like he had already got hit, and was injured, hence him dropping do a knee. At that point it appears an officer reloads and shoots until the lunatic is no longer a threat.

Also, it appears an armed citizen that is out of the frame of the video (presumably to the left) comes to assist the officers.

You can hear another male voice say something I can't quite make out, but sounds like "Don't shoot, are you okay?". You can then hear him say "I have a pistol. How bad you hit?"

you're right. it looked like he took 2 or 3 hits in the gut, which brought him to his knees. he didn't look like he was capable of much when he was down, and didn't appear to be reaching for anything.

personally, i like that outcome, as we(taxpayers) don't have to pay his room and board for the next 30 years now. but.......if a good enough lawyer gets a hold of that video, the pd will find lawsuits out the wazoo.

Good response and quick actions, thankfully they survived and seems like they will live through their injuries. To bad that white car in the back round didn't floor it forward and kill that scumbag with their car.

Using your car as a weapon when deadly force is warranted is something I taught for years. I have personal knowledge of a cop doing that back in the 70s.

They were honored for thier actions? Getting jumped and shot is an honorable action? They shot and killed a guy who knelt down after yelling "Kill me!" at them. Suicide by cop

You really hate cops don't you? Suicide by cop? I agree but when he's already shooting at you and you've been hit. I suppose you would have counseled the trobuled soul instead of shooting back.

It took 29 shots at less then 15 feet goes to show cops can't shoot =P

There are also many "gun enthusiasts" that can't shoot.How many rounds did you shoot in your last gunfight? This isn't IPSC where you do two to the chest, one to the head and stand in front of your target to reload. This is a genuine gunfight. These cops were hit, still fought back, and kept shooting until the threat was eliminated. They did all right. When it's between the good guys and the bad guys I have the same philosophy Reagan had regarding the Soviet Union, "we win, they lose".

Yup, saw a photo of the cops windshield and he had a good grouping, was wondering how they survived...

I have no quarrels with anything the police did, and the cop lite him the F up once he got out of the car...

My only suggestion is run the F'er over next time.

this is a memorable gunfight....when NJ is disarmed, the police here should rest easier that they and the criminals are the only ones left with guns...

not that I believe it...

Interesting Find.

Here’s ‘The Rest of the Story’

With Officer Savage at the wheel, the two cops pulled over the green Saturn sedan for failing to stop at an intersection. After they called in the tag numbers, Officer Thomas exited the squad — circling around the rear of the patrol car so she could approach the driver’s side of the violator’s vehicle.

Roughly eight seconds after the brake lights of the offender’s car switched off — and as Officer Thomas approached the left-front quarterpanel of the squad — the door of the violator’s car swung open and Gilkerson emerged, immediately opening fire.

Even before the gunman had opened fire, Officer Thomas had identified the threat and warned her partner as she moved toward a position of cover behind the squad. Her movement is why you see Gilkerson move to his right — into the street — as he was looking for a better line of fire toward her.

Still in the driver’s seat, Officer Savage returned fire directly downrange through the squad’s windshield before himself exiting the car and making his way to the back bumper. In the TV news report there’s a brief image of that windscreen’s telltale signs of Officer Savage’s immediate action.

I’m glad to report that although both officers were badly injured — Thomas was shot in the left hand and Savage was hit in the leg by shrapnel, both have been released from the hospital.

A document I obtained today from Middlefield Police Department stated that Gilkerson’s vehicle was chock full of evidence that he set out that day with truly evil intent in mind.

On the floorboard of the car, investigators found eight (8) 40-round ammunition magazines for the FEG 7.62x39 AK-47-type semi-automatic rifle, a black ski mask, black leather gloves, and some form of web gear. In the trunk they found “military-style ammo cans” and a scoped .22 caliber rifle.

They also discovered numerous instructional DVDs, books, and pamphlets with titles such as:

Acquiring New ID

Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives

Big Book of Homemade Weapons

Advanced Close-Range Gunfighting

Converting Model Rockets Into Explosive Missiles

Kitchen Improvised Fertilizer Explosives

Be Your Own Undertaker

That last one is my personal favorite — Gilkerson seems to have pretty-well completed that curriculum cover-to-cover.

you're right. it looked like he took 2 or 3 hits in the gut, which brought him to his knees. he didn't look like he was capable of much when he was down, and didn't appear to be reaching for anything. personally, i like that outcome, as we(taxpayers) don't have to pay his room and board for the next 30 years now. but.......if a good enough lawyer gets a hold of that video, the pd will find lawsuits out the wazoo.
"you're right. it looked like he took 2 or 3 hits in the gut, which brought him to his knees. he didn't look like he was capable of much when he was down, and didn't appear to be reaching for anything."

I agree, and that should have been the end, but tell me who would be suing? Also, it did look like semi-auto.

I agree, and that should have been the end,

That should have been the end? You are saying a guy who just unloaded 40 rounds at you, who is on a knee still holding a rifle, is no longer a threat, because he may have been shot? As critical as I usually am of cops, I don't see how anything they did could have been construed as inappropriate. It ended exactly where it should have. With the suspect on the ground no longer holding a firearm.

Using your car as a weapon when deadly force is warranted is something I taught for years. I have personal knowledge of a cop doing that back in the 70s.

I wish more agencies would teach drawing and firing from inside the vehicle.