Sign in to follow this  
DSD1026

Question about .25 ACP Handguns

How common are .25 ACP caliber handguns? How many of you own them? If you own them, how often do you use them, or conversely, what are they used FOR?

I am not at all thinking of getting one, its just a discussion I was having with someone who seems to think they are very commonly owned guns, and I have yet to see anyone on this forum ever talk about them.

Thoughts?

I had one years ago when I lived in a non permission slip state simply because i came to own it very cheaply ...like $50 I think... Shot it a few times had no real purpose for me and sold it and tripled my money

They're used for shooting center fire pistol that's about the same recoil of a 22lr.

A long time ago it was popular to buy target guns in that caliber since they would make the center fire requirement but still have minimal recoil.

As a self defense gun, it beats throwing rocks. You can get them in small sizes and hide them easily for concealed carry purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have one. It is pretty small. If you have large hands, a pocket model is not for you as it will likely slice your hand when you use it. If you want a larger size .25 then the Mauser 1910,1914 model pistol is cheap and reliable. The.25 pistols are neat but not really practical, They are also not very accurate.

The one i mentioned in the other thread is a Raven .25. It was a promotion years ago when Crossroads in Pennsauken was open - buy a years membership to the range, get a free gun. Another year it was a Norinco JW 15 .22 rifle. Ahh...those were the days...

Crossroads is long gone, but anyhow, the little raven lives on. I was pleasantly surprised - I expected erratic shooting and keyholed shots. It didn't do either. It's far from a target pistol, but I found it to be reliable and reasonably accurate.

I also think the .25 auto is more reliable than the .22 long rifle, both in feed and ignition.

They were VERY popular back in my day. Most do not know that John Moses Browning invented the cartridge to replace the unreliable .22lr. Back in prehistoric days we only had a choice of a .22 if we wanted a very small pocket gun until the .25 center fire guns came along. These days few make guns for this caliber due to modern manufacturing that produces 6.5 oz. .32 acp and 9 oz. .380's. The caliber has a bad reputation for not being a good penetrator with many stories and a few tests showing that it did not penetrate a few layers of denim. However there is some good modern ammo for it which makes it more effective but why use it when you have better options. I restored a Raven .25 this year for a family member. The gun was made of cheap pot metal that bent with the slightest of pressure. Lousy safety and just generally poorly made. What do you expect of a $25 gun though. The Raven and similar pocket .25's were often sold at gas stations, drug stores, grocery stores, etc. because there were no laws back then to say you needed an FFL. They were cheap guns that the general public and criminals bought up. There are many stories about criminals buying the gun and 6 bullets because the gun was so cheap that after they used it they would throw it off a bridge to dispose of it.

Beretta used to have a .25 cal. but no more. They are a relic of the past due to the advent of the new .32/.380s on the market.

so what im understanding is that they used to be more popular, but arent exactly all that common anymore and might be better than a sharp stick, but not nearly as effective as some other smaller yet higher caliber guns).. and, say, a 25 year old man who has shot semi-automatic AR rifles with his friends (that were his friends') would in all likelihood NOT purchase this caliber pistol as his first and only gun?

again, im not looking for one in any shape or form, but it s an interesting conversation about the commonality of these caliber guns.. It also seems that ammo for this caliber is not exactly widespread in its availability..

They're used for shooting center fire pistol that's about the same recoil of a 22lr.

A long time ago it was popular to buy target guns in that caliber since they would make the center fire requirement but still have minimal recoil.

I don't know if that used to be the case, but current rules specify 32 cal as the minimum for the centerfire stages in Bullseye shooting. Cal 32 also offers a huge advantage in terms of reduced recoil relative the the .45, but there aren't many accurate options made for it.

25s are pretty common to me. One of the first handguns I bought was a Bauer 25 (stainless copy of the Baby Browning). Itwas introduced to give you the smallest, most reliable self defense gun possible which some were prior to guns like the Kel Tec or Ruger LCP. FWIW, James Bond carried a 25 (Beretta 418) early in the novels before he carried the PPK.

I have never seen or heard of any "target model 25s" in about 45 years of shooting. If there is one out there please let me know about it.

Prior to the GCA 68 there were many 25s imported. A lot of them junk but they gave low income people the abilty to be armed. They weren't interested in longevity and many of them were never fired. Colt. Walther, Beretta, Browning, Mauser, and other quality manufacturers made 25s. These were cut off by the GCA 68 (the Colts were made by Astra in Spain IIRC). These guns were deemed "too small" not having a length and height of at least 10". BTW this was the reason for Walther to introduce the PPK/S, a PPK slide on a PP frame which made the 10" requirement. The market was still there and companies like FIE, RG, and Raven started production here. GCA 68 was also the reason Beretta opened the factory in MD. The 950 in 22 and 25 were the only gun Beretta built there for some time. You couldn't import a gun with less then 10" lenght and height but you could manufacture them here. Go figure.

I have a Raven I bought new for $35 in 1988. Yes it has a cast zinc frame and slide but it has fired at least a couple of hundred rounds with no problems. Its not that accurate but will hit a target at 10 feet which is about max range these guns are used at usually. At the other extreme I have a Beretta 950 .25 ACP (and its counterpart in 22 short) that I can max a qual course with and both are 100% reliable. The Berettas are very accurate the p[roblem is the tiny sights. The 25 being a FMJ and centerfire cartridge is generally more reliable than 22 rimfires as a rule when it comes to feeding and ignition.

I've used one when I needed maximum concealment or as a BUG to a BUG. Not what I'd like to get in a gunfight with but you may be able to bluff your way out. I've known them to work well when assaulted by a BG with a knife or a baseball bat as no one wants to get shot even with a 25. There are a lot of people that died being shot by a 25 but most times it was the next day or so. They have worked but are woefully short in the stopping power department.

FWIW Beretta still makes the 21. Its a DA version of the 950 Jetfire which is a little larger. I have one in 22 LR and it is the best out there.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-21-bobcat/