tommyfeds

MCRPC assistance

Hi all,

Looking to see if someone can provide some info on MCRPC. I did some searching here and am wondering if they are accepting new members? I live 8.2 miles from where I think the super secret location is and it would be great to have a place to shoot so close. The website says to fill out the form and send money.......kinda feels odd to do that out of the blue. Maybe I can meet someone for a $.02 tour? Or at the very least confirm the location?

Thanks so much,

Tom

Both my wife and I were filling out the applications yesterday, and had some of the same questions. I have been there once before about a month ago as a guest and the member stated that he was not sure if they were accepting any new members at this time. If I hear anything I will let you know, if you could do the same it would be appreciated.

The membership is capped and at capacity and apparently the waiting list is now capped too. I haven't been to a meeting in a few months but I'm going this month so I'll let you know if there are any updates.

As for the joining process.. once you express interest they would then send you a date and location for an intro meeting at the range with the rest of that month's applicants. You bring a checkbook, fill out some paperwork and do a live fire on the pistol range. Then your name is listed in the monthly newsletter in case anyone has an objection. Then the group of candidates for that month gets voted in at the general meeting.Then you go early to the following general meeting and you're in. This process would take a few months start to finish. After a year you become a non-provisional member as long as you've attended 3 meetings and done a work assignment. This is all from memory so it may be inaccurate. And obviously does not apply anymore since it's capped.

I used to be a member there.  Nice for what it is, and the price is right.  Howell Twp. screwed them on the road and the parking.  They can only park so many vehicles, thus the membership cap.  FWIW, the monthly Leagues are open to the public, so check their web site for the club calendar and show-up planning to shoot.  Bring what ever you need to shoot that particular League, the appropriate ammo, etc., and go early to say hello and offer help in setting it up.  HELP at an all-volunteer club goes a LONG way FWIW.....

Dave

I'm a member there and I think that might be some bad advice. Especially after the parking lot was redone there is hardly any room now to park especially when there is a tournament. I'm not sure they want random people just showing up to take part in their tournaments... Last summer was the last time they took in new members. And with the wait list now pretty long, if you are not already on the wait list I don't think you would be able to join anytime in the near future...

I'm a member there and I think that might be some bad advice. Especially after the parking lot was redone there is hardly any room now to park especially when there is a tournament. I'm not sure they want random people just showing up to take part in their tournaments... Last summer was the last time they took in new members. And with the wait list now pretty long, if you are not already on the wait list I don't think you would be able to join anytime in the near future...

I knew the parking was an issue.  I didn't mean to step on toes....I guess that IF you can bum a ride with someone who is a member you MIGHT still get to shoot, depending upon which League and total head count.  But call the League Chairman for permission first would be a good idea.  "Back in the Old Days" some of the Leagues liked it when visitors from other clubs showed-up to fill-in squads that were "light" on shooters.  I haven't been there since the big influx of members happened, so sorry for the initial reply.

Dave

Alright here is an update for yous

Right now the # of members is only a handful over the cap

There are a hundred and change on the waiting list.

Everyone on the waiting list will be receiving a packet in the mail indicating their place in the queue

A dozen or so members didn't renew for 2013 (all membership terms go by the calendar year -- you pay pro-rated dues on your first year)

So there are bound to be 5-10 slots open for next year due to attrition.  Probably even more since life is short and these guys are old (sorry to be grim)