Sign in to follow this  
ryan_j

The marlin 60

I was reading up on this rifle as it is the subject of laws being proposed in the NJ legislature.

Initially it had a 17 round tube now has a 14 round one to comply with NJ mag limits.

It also seemed fairly cheap, less than $200. Hey I might get one, it's a fun rifle to use at the plinking range at cherry ridge.

Anyone have one? With the 14 round tube built in it's NJ legal, right?

Henry rifles hold the same amount of rounds and are legal in NJ. Where did you get this information from?

I believe there is no mag limit on lever action Henry rifles, only semi-auto rifles.

At this time ANY semi-automatic magazine, attached or seperate that can hold 16 or more rounds of anything is unlawful.

I believe there is no mag limit on lever action Henry rifles, only semi-auto rifles.

At this time ANY semi-automatic magazine, attached or seperate that can hold 16 or more rounds of anything is unlawful.

Yep. Only apples to semis. Lever, bolt and pump actions are all ok. I have a Henry Frontier that can hold more than 15 shorts in the tube.

Had an older Model 60 with the full tube (gave away to a relative before I moved here) and now I have a Model 795. Got it for $125 with a $25 rebate from The Store That Shall Not Be Named. Upgraded with a Boyds stock and Tech Sights.

Agreed, great plinkers; highly recommended in any variant.

Got a used one last year. They are NJ legal. If you buy a used one with the long tube magazine, it has to be pined. Barrel states to use long rifle 22's so it doesn't matter how many shorts it holds. All new model 60's since the mid 1990's are NJ compliants. Since they have been best selling rifles since the early 1970's, I guess you can say they are reliable.

I had one back when the capacity ban first went into place. I sent a letter to Marlin and they sent me a modified tube insert for free. It was crimped so the plastic plunger would not go all the way in and held 15. I hated that thing, jam-o-matic with minimags and bulk. Then you had to remove the insert, slide out all the rounds, clear the jam, then reload. I sold it, picked up a ruger 10/22 and never looked back.