410guy

pistol permits and NICS delays

I should be getting 2 pistol permits in the next week or two (hopefully). I'm reading that the NICS delays are now up to 2 weeks and counting. Factoring in the OGAM crap, I'm worried that I might get screwed out of being able buying two guys in 90 days because of the delays.

Does the 30 day OGAM clock start when you actually purchase (pay for) the gun? Or when the NICS is approved?

Has anyone tried to get a permit extension from their local PD because of all this?? I have waited nearly 7 months for these permits (the Essex county fiasco, whole another story) and meanwhile dealers shelves have been getting more and more bare and NICS delays just getting longer and longer. Hard to believe this state is still considered America.

Wish I knew at the time, I originally applied in October...2 months before newtown when everything was still "normal".

When I pick up the permits I may explain my situation to the detective and ask about getting them extended.

This is why you must apply for 6 permits, the delays are just another way of keeping you from excercising your rights.

What would be the point in getting six permits? Since with current nics delays it is almost impossible to use three in 90 days, even if you got them all extended for the max 180 days it would not be possible to use more than five.

What would be the point in getting six permits? Since with current nics delays it is almost impossible to use three in 90 days, even if you got them all extended for the max 180 days it would not be possible to use more than five.

Private sales, more than OGAM Exempt Purchases, returning one for a new one, collector exemption, etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm reading that the NICS delays are now up to 2 weeks and counting.

Talked with L&H Woods today.  Was told that NICS checks are running 18-20 days now.  My last month's NICS approval took 13 days.

Words now among the NJ Firearms Retailer Association is that the NJ State Police have been told (by whom?) to drag their feet

OGAM starts the day you take possession. Standard practice is to use the 31 day rule to avoid getting a denial. I would apply for the OGAM exemption considering the length of time it takes to get a NICS approval.

I applied for my pistol permits on November 19, 2012 and received a call this evening that they were in and ready for pickup. That is 5 days short of 6 months.

This was thru the State Police in Hamilton.   Will go to pick up the pistol I purchased back in January and will be anxious to see hoe long the NICS check will be ?

I applied for my pistol permits on November 19, 2012 and received a call this evening that they were in and ready for pickup. That is 5 days short of 6 months.

This was thru the State Police in Hamilton. Will go to pick up the pistol I purchased back in January and will be anxious to see hoe long the NICS check will be ?

Holy crap and i was bent because I'm at 5 months. Guess I have a month or two left to go. This has been my first time dealing with the SP and its horrendous. Every time I talk to them it's a different bs story. That's what burns me the most.

I'm on day 30 waiting for a NICS return through Atlantic Tactical. It's for the third firearm I'm buying this year, and I've never had a problem before. I can see no reasonable explanation for the delay.

Talked with L&H Woods today.  Was told that NICS checks are running 18-20 days now.  My last month's NICS approval took 13 days.

Words now among the NJ Firearms Retailer Association is that the NJ State Police have been told (by whom?) to drag their feet

Seems plausible.  I don't care how many people are buying firearms, there is no way a check that used to 10 minutes now takes 20 days.  

I'm on day 30 waiting for a NICS return through Atlantic Tactical. It's for the third firearm I'm buying this year, and I've never had a problem before. I can see no reasonable explanation for the delay.

That brings the problem to a whole new level. According to the ATF NICS checks are valid for 30 days FROM THE DAY THEY WERE INITIATED (taken directly from ATF) see FAQ # 45

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-law.html

That makes your approval already invalid. So if AT transfers the firearm to you now with the old NICS they have broken the law.

I have said this before and it's perfectly valid. You CAN do a NICS check in advance of the actual transfer (read the rules) and I do it all the time for my customers. It's not a perfect solution but it does save some time. See FAQ 43 on the same link. I have never received a denied response yet for submitting a NICS early.

Could also do the multigun exemption, which is fairly easy to do.

I received 3 permits on May 9th,used one on May 14th and I am waiting for the NICS check to come back. Since I have two permits left is it possible to request a multigun exemption for them?

I received 3 permits on May 9th,used one on May 14th and I am waiting for the NICS check to come back. Since I have two permits left is it possible to request a multigun exemption for them?

I wouldn't bother if I were you. The multigun exemption has some significant requirements not to mention the fact that you need to list all the firearms, serial numbers, seller's information, firearm information and each firearm listed must have a "Seller/Transferor Certification" form completed. The application needs to be approved by the Superintendent of the State Police and is subject to the same reviews and delays that a pistol permit is subject to. So unless you can list in detail each firearm you wish to acquire including the seller's information and provide the certifications for them and if you are willing to wait who knows how long, it's not really a good option. I only ever saw this form in action once and it was for the transfer of 6 handguns from an estate following the death of the owner. The form took forever to get approved, it did get approved but if I remember correctly it took at least 8 to 10 weeks and that was before all the current nonsense.

Last summer my batch of pistol permits took 14 weeks to arrive. Three weeks before I 'expected' the permits to arrive, I mailed the exemption forms directly to the NJSP in Trenton. The approved exemption and the permits were delivered on the same day in July. (This is called Christmas In July.)

14 weeks for permits. 3 weeks for exemption. All through NJSP barracks in Augusta.

The forms do require all handgun models and serials in advance, as described in the previous post.

You'd think by some point, everyone who wants a pistol would have one, and the volume would die down.  That doesn't seem to be the case.

I can certainly believe that someone issued an order to drag feet.  Delay, delay until the permits expire worthless.  Backdoor gun control.

On the other hand, all it does to me is negate that purchase of the shiny 1911 I had my eyes on.  I won't even bother going through the game once again, and the dealer gets hit by losing another sale.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. The multigun exemption has some significant requirements not to mention the fact that you need to list all the firearms, serial numbers, seller's information, firearm information and each firearm listed must have a "Seller/Transferor Certification" form completed. The application needs to be approved by the Superintendent of the State Police and is subject to the same reviews and delays that a pistol permit is subject to. So unless you can list in detail each firearm you wish to acquire including the seller's information and provide the certifications for them and if you are willing to wait who knows how long, it's not really a good option. I only ever saw this form in action once and it was for the transfer of 6 handguns from an estate following the death of the owner. The form took forever to get approved, it did get approved but if I remember correctly it took at least 8 to 10 weeks and that was before all the current nonsense.

Thanks, I had no idea what was involved. Guess I'll just go for an extension if I need it.

Call the governors office at 609-292-6000. I called, talked to a governors aide. She had no idea that permits and NICS checks were taking so long. Call and complain! The other side never hesitates to pick up a phone and make their voice heard. If we don't do the same things will only get worse.

Well how's this for a kick in the balls: I submitted for 3 p2p's back on January 9th, just got the call today May 20th that they are ready, so I go and pick them up.  With NICS checks now running 20 days, I will only be able to use ONE of the permits, just ONE, as I am moving July 15th.  So two of my permits, that I waited 4.5 months for will just go to waste all because of this RIDICULOUS bullshit game that this POS state is playing on the firearms community.

BUT, THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE TO THIS STORY!!!!

I am moving to SOUTH CAROLINA, so F you State of New Jersey!  :onthequiet:

If all lawful gun owners moved out of jersey at once NOW THAT my friend would be a swift kick in the sack to new jerseys economy... I dont know any gun owners that are on welfare or section 8... Imagine one million tax payers and there families say goodbye to the garden state ... That would be awesome...