Sign in to follow this  
dajonga

Stafford Forge WMA is a mess. Anyway to get it improved?

I have not been to Clinton WMA in a few years, but I remember the rimfire/muzzle loader range is very nice, with several covered benches. Also, never seemed to be too much trash around.

I just read that the WMA at Makepeace in Weymouth has been improved with concrete benches.

Why is Stafford Forge such a wreck? 2 bullet-ridden, crooked, odd sized tables for rimfire, 6 million shotgun shells and constantly overflowing, bullet-ridden garbage cans. Frankly, I am embarrassed by how some people treat it. I am a firm believer in pack in, pack out.

Is it that the parking lot is not right next to the tables, like at Clinton? I would imagine if we could park near tables, like at Clinton or Ft. Dix, people would be more inclined to clean up after themselves.

I would love to see improved tables, more stations and much, much less trash. I am going to contact DEP to see what happens. If you agree with me, join me in asking for upgrades.

I would even be willing to volunteer to cleanup for a few hours.

I just sent F&G a message. This friday is the Barnegat Bay Blitz, a DEP initiative to cleanup the Barnegat watershed area. I have been to few cleanups with school kids and area volunteers picking up trash and such.

I know it is last minute and I wish I thought of this last month, but I asked if DEP would deliver a dumpster to Stafford Forge for the Blitz (or any other time). I would be in for a few hours of raking up shells if DEP responds with a dumpster. If more of us showed up, maybe they would be willing to improve the facilities.

Let's hope they get back to me.

You're lucky, at the Millville WMA there are no benches. They "placed" concrete pads there as a "firing line". I say placed because they obviously were not poured, they are all uneven, and it doesn't appear that anyone knew what a trowel was. Weeds grow 4ft tall(probably get cut by bullets :lol:), there are piles of trash from people dumping junk to shoot at, the ground is littered with glass, shotgun shells, brass, and trash, there are no trash cans.

We stopped going there a few years ago because "undesirables" who quite obviously do not hunt were taking over the range shooting their butt stockless, pistol grip AK's sideways, mexican style carrying pistols being pulled out and shot etc. We got out of there before any situations arose between my "redneck" friends and them. My friend called F&G, but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it.

I heard back from someone at F&G instantly, which impressed me.

1st response was this...

I'm sorry to hear of the conditions  you found at Stafford Forge.

I was not aware of there being trash cans at any of our ranges - the areas are supposed to be 'carry in-carry out' facilities. Sadly, too many people are not good citizens and leave trash behind, and sometimes vandalize the very areas they're using.

I'll forward your message to the regional superintendent so he is aware (if not already) of the conditions there.  Unfortunately we're quite short-staffed at this point due to hiring restrictions in place for a few years.  You can call that office at 609-259-2132.

As far as volunteering,  you can become a member of the Division's volunteer wing, the Wildlife Conservation Corps - see http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wcchome.htm.  The WCC is undergoing review and hopefully will become more active in things like range management/cleanup.  

2nd response was this....

PS - I heard from Regional Superintendent Ray Porutski about the range.

He pointed out that the Stafford Forge Range is the only range in the Central Region where the public can use lead shot to trap shoot. The Colliers Mills Range is closed. The Assunpink Range is Steel Shot only. The result is that the use at Stafford Forge has tripled. The crews can't keep up with the trash. Stafford is also at least 30 to 45 minutes from the Colliers Mills office, which makes it difficult to maintain. 

Our volunteer coordinator, Linda DiPiano, is looking into using volunteers to help maintain the range.  Thanks. PT

I will keep you posted about any planned improvements or cleanup efforts I hear of out there.

David

Most people are lazy, want everything done for them, now, don't care about others. You see it everywhere. This state is over-crowded and with the NY influence just continues to go down-hill. When I go to my outdoor range I make sure to clean-up anything I brought plus anything that others may have left behind. Usually it is pretty clean since it is a private club and most of our members and their guests actually care about it. That is one of the reasons I pay good money to belong to a private club, safety was the most important. If anyone is playing Mexican Carry And Draw they will get turned-in, no need to risk their safety or the safety of others.

I took part in the cleanup that took place a few years ago.  An enormous amount of trash was removed.  The cleanup is all voluntary.  The range is three miles from my house and I haven't shot there in a long time.  People are very lazy and don't clean up after themselves.  it is disgusting how much crap people leave behind.

I agree with tony357, complaining to the state will probably lead to a shutdown.  I heard a rumor that there is talk of turning it into a police range...

We could start a thread to clean it up. I can get a truck in their on the range maybe we can get a few trucks in for the cleanup.. 

I do know the state goes in their with a machine and it cleans up all the wads they do that once a year..

I think you can get a vehicle onto the range with little effort. You may have to drive in from the opposite direction. I'm tied up next Saturday with a shoot, but I would be will to show up with a rake and shovel. The Boy Scout troops like to do community service also, so maybe one or two in the area can be asked. They do offer a shooting merit badge so maybe that can be tied into that.

The last time I was at that range, it looked like a wild west shootout with way too many people shooting rounds that were not allowed there. There was one group shooting trap out the back of a pickup truck. I drove in saw what was going on and left. I'm afraid if the state sees what's going on they will close the place down.

Im about 45 minutes from the range but if its weekday like tuesday or Thursday i'll be happy to come down and help clean up. I agree its a mess. I was there last month to sight in my turkey gun and brought my son along so he could shoot the 22 and he even noticed how messy it was and he's 8. I was embarrassed.

I can bring a utility trailer behind a giant station wagon. If tony357 can get us clearance to drive vehicles in, I would be happy to spend an afternoon cleaning up the forge. Hell, if he could get me clearance to go in with my car whenever I shoot, I would happily remove a load of trash each time I go.

As for the idea that complaints will lead to a shutdown of the forge, I would counter that an organized group of njgf'ers attacking the trash would send a very good message to Fish & Game that we care about our WMA & are willing to put time and effort into making it a better place.

Yes, at least one person in your party has to have a valid NJ hunting licesnse.

The WMA ranges are maintained through hunting license and permit fees and are meant to provide hunters the opportunity to practice with their hunting arms.

I went to Stafford Forge WMA today. Seems an Eagle Scout replaced

both benches on the rifle range and added 2 tables to shotgun side. Very, very

big improvement.

Fantastic.  Eagle Scout projects benefit all of us all the time.

Find out what troop he's from and I'll make sure they get kudos (I'm involved in the BSA at a council/state-wide level).

Was there yesterday and the place look pretty good. The park police showed up talked to him for about 10 min about the park, Eagle Scout project, claiming and fishing. Real nice guy. He said he tries to come out like three times a week because there are people that are shooting pistols. We did not see any casings.

Was there yesterday and the place look pretty good. The park police showed up talked to him for about 10 min about the park, Eagle Scout project, claiming and fishing. Real nice guy. He said he tries to come out like three times a week because there are people that are shooting pistols. We did not see any casings.

I found .45 casings yesterday. Real nice place

Has anyone gone here lately? I want to check this place out it is not far from my house, Looks like I will have to get a hunting license though.

or go with someone that has one. You only need one person with a valid license in your party. just remember to leave the center fire rifles home.