Liberator - Handgun where 15 of 16 components are 3d-printed

Been following this - surprised that the plastic chamber/barrel is lasting more than one shot. It's a smoothbore, so accuracy will be low. Great idea to make the barrels replaceable though, I thought this was going to be a one shot "zip" type pistol.

This must drive Bloomberg and Schumer nuts...

It's an interesting design exercise (and an EXCELLENT exercise, because it makes libs like Chuck E Cheese Schumer lose control of their bodily functions!) but not of much practical use.

The original Liberator pistol was impractical even in Nazi-occupied Europe where civilian firearms were less common than they are in the USA today.

I think it is pretty cool that they named it the liberator

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

The FP-45 Liberator was a pistol manufactured by the United States military during World War II for use by resistance forces in occupied territories. The Liberator was never issued to American or Allied troops and there is no documented instance of the weapon being used for their intended purpose. Many FP-45 pistols were never distributed and were destroyed by Allied forces after the war; and most of those distributed were lost or disposed of without any combat use.[1]

More at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Been following this - surprised that the plastic chamber/barrel is lasting more than one shot. It's a smoothbore, so accuracy will be low. Great idea to make the barrels replaceable though, I thought this was going to be a one shot "zip" type pistol.

This must drive Bloomberg and Schumer nuts...

It does. Schumer is already calling for a ban on it. Then he gets to see it turn into a first amendment fight. I've tried to explain materials technology to people and how we are well past the point anyone can manufacture a handgun easily, and we are nearing the point where you need about three people, some education, and high five figures for crafting some nasty biological agents. You can see it writ large in trying to control who has nukes, but it applies to small scale as well. Perhaps even more.

The system clamors for cheap and efficient. You got it.

Been following this - surprised that the plastic chamber/barrel is lasting more than one shot.

The parts deform with every shot. Basically every shot you are wondering if the next shot will turn the 'gun' into 'pipebomb.'

If I understand correctly.

22lr uses under 2 grains of powder.

32acp uses about 3 grains.

9mm uses about 5-6 grains.

So how will the polymer holds up depends upon the powder. No way will polymer hold 23 grains used in a 223.

Expect this to spur 3D printer manufacturers to now require printed files to be authenticated with a digital certificate.

There's a reason you can't photocopy currency on some color copiers, and why every color laser printer puts a nearly invisible yellow watermark code on your prints.

Face palm. Really?!?! I'm sure there are terrorist organizations lining up around the world to chunk down the thousands of dollars needed to but one of the printers. It's not like illegal guns are easily available at a fraction of the cost. If someone wanted to build a gun it can easily be done with common hardware store materials for less then $100. That's 80 home made shotguns for the cost of one 3D printer. Yup, this dude is definitely a super dangerous individual and I'm sure the Taliban is buying the printers to arm their soldiers. Taliban leader voice: "OK guys, toss your AK's in a pile, it's time to upgrade to this 3D printed pistol, it's good for 10 rounds!"

Apparently he's got someone's attention.   He's going to get his equipment siezed again, count on it.  

----

This file has been removed from public access at the request of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls. Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.

2P25RNv.png

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-09/us-state-department-halts-3-d-gun-production-demands-removal-all-online-blueprints

I'll go out on a limb here -- Cody Wilson is getting exactly the response that he wants!

It should be fun to watch.

With the highest per-capita gun ownership on the planet, the United States is the last place this technology is needed. The original Liberator pistol was a flop because there were easier ways to acquire better weapons even in Nazi occupied Europe. Didn't ATF lose an MP5 in Milwaukee, and the Philadelphia PD recently lose an M16?

Guns have been built in prisons, given lots of time and creativity this is not rocket science. Or rather, it is rocket science, just 10th Century rocket science. The only reason liberal elitists like Schumer find this a threat and lose control is because the US and the other large economically developed countries have truly created an idiocracy.

If you're creative and your google-fu is strong, you can find multiple ways to create various devices for individual as well as mass destruction.  Very few of the methods require much skill (ie machinist or chemist) and fewer of the methods require expensive equipment.

I do like how the government has swooped in and basically claimed control over intellectual property.

Wait until they see that series of photos about building an AK from a shovel...

Detectability and concealment may be the purported reason but that genie was out of the bottle years ago, or else it wouldn't have been made illegal years ago.

I think Cody Wilson is moving to a legal test case here. I'm guessing the SC would agree with his arguments -- but I wouldn't bet my own freedom on it. He's a determined man.

BTW, here's the link to download the files for the liberator (the below link will redirect to mega.co.nz file service):

Manufacturing your own pistol is not legal in N.J but having the info how to do it is legal and protected under the first amendment

It fires a .380.

I have been following this "company" since they started looking into this concept, around august/september. This kid is extremely smart and intuitive, if anybody thinks he wasn't expecting this type of response/backlash from the government, well, underestimates him. He wanted the goverment to try to "police" the interenet and is (and has been) exposing how stupid & full of themselves they really are.