NJGF

P2P Expires Before NICS Background Check is Approved

What happens if my P2P expires (it was already extended for 90 days) after the NICS check is started but before the state police approves it (which I have heard is now taking over 2 weeks)? Would I have to start over again and apply for new permits? Will the FFL hold the pistol for a few months until I get the new permits (it was already paid for)?

And I always thought the I in NICS stood for Instant! My bad.

I would think that the faxed in date would count as the date.  I am sure there are many FFLs that will weigh in on the correct answer. I ordered a gun from a local FFL once and the gun came in a day after the permit expired and they said it was no problem.

if no approval is received prior to expiration date.......your loss. It doesn't start on the date is was sent over, sorry. Nics is also up to about 20 days

On the flip side, I had an FFL state that the SP is allowing it if its submitted prior to expiration, of course thats not in writing though lol.

My FFL contacted NICS and explained the expiration situation. They moved it to the top of the list and it was completed before permit expiring. YMMV

This is correct. In extreme situations they can fast track. If permit can be extended though that should be tried first. Is it really 20 days now?

The permit had already been extended for 90 days and the FFL can't contact the SP so my last hope is that the confirmation comes in today or Monday. Otherwise I will have to apply for new permits. And yes they are saying it is 20 days now for the INSTANT check.

The instant NICS check didn't make it back yet and my permit expired. So this morning I went to the local PD and submitted an application for 3 more permits. I am guessing that is going to take some time now also. You gotta love our NJ system!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By dman2112
      Hello all,
      Some opinions please.  I am a long time NJ resident and also a resident in SC.  I spend 8 months out of the year in NJ out of necessity.  When I leave NJ I carry everywhere as I have multiple CWP's.  I have purchased many pistols legally in NJ over the years.
      I was thinking about getting some new permits to pee...(my term for the Pistol Permit) but with all the BS that had been going on I was thinking about refraining.
      I also have completed all the NJ CWP permit applications, but I am not sure I am actually going to apply.  I don't need to put up with the NJ BS.  To me it's insulting.  Plus with all the restrictions coming and being tied up in the courts for probably years, it may be just a futile exercise.   I would rather just leave when my house is build in SC and buy it there.  Once I switch my license to SC, its cash and carry for me.
      I have the old, non-expiring FID.  What I do not want to happen is if I go apply for new permits to pee, that my FID gets converted to an expiring one and then I have to pay a renewal fee.   
      I did read the new regs and it looks like they are grandfathering old FID folks to the non expiring one but this is NJ...what is written in law is usually ignored by the class warfare system we have here and the horrible mentality and attitude of some of these LEO's and NJSP officers that think their personal bias is important and the sneers you get when you go pay the $2.
      Am I being paranoid?
    • By CanikInThePanic
      Hi, new member here looking for some guidance to be compliant.  
      I received my first FPID card & a P2P last month. 
      My DL, FPID & P2P all have the same address which is current with DMV. I am no longer living there as of a week ago & am now month to month. Not sure if I should change my address with DMV & FPID to somewhere I might not be in the next month. Is it legal for my to go forward with a purchse if I find something on gunbroker & send to a NJ FFL dealer as all my info matches? or do I need to wait util I update my FPID & get a new P2P w/ a permanent address? Thank you very much for any help here!  
    • By confusedabout
      I am legally in USA since 2004, I am waiting for my permanent resident card from the immigration dept. I have work permit, SS #, NJ Drivers license and I own a house in NJ too.I am a law abiding tax paying family man. In the mean time I got my firearm ID card from New Jersey and tried to by a gun. By mistake I answered NO to question 11.l, and NICS denied my transaction. I was supposed to answer Yes to question 11.l and show my NJ hunting license at question 20c.
      Can anybody advise me how to make this correction? Since my green card is still under processing, I thought I will be considered in the Immigrant category, my mistake. If I just fill out a new form with these corrections, will it work? Thanks for reading

I went to the same FFL today and filled out a new 4473 to buy a shot gun with correct information and run the NICS check, there was a 3 hour delay and they denied me again!! The FFL person told me that, he called state police for the reason. He told me that the immigration department did not approve me. Back to same situation...Can anybody help me in this? Is my status eligible for firearm purchase? I have a NJ firearm hunting license.
    • By Gunnz
      So bought a ruger 10/22 on thanksgiving day, about 5:30pm, and knew they would run the NICS on Friday when the state opened....
      No call from DSG on Friday, which I knew might happen because the state gets over run with NICS checks because of the sales...
      Went to Dicks this morning to get something else, and went into the lodge to inquire about the NICS check...the lodge associate called the manager and they looked in the NJSP portal...

Fail # 1- he said my check came back yesterday morning.... And they never called me... Kinda new that was gonna happen....

MAJOR FAIL- During the whole interaction today, (I did leave with my rifle) they never checked my ID to confirm who I was! I just told them my name and they gave me a gun.......

They shouldn't be able to sell guns