Donobieus

Good deal??

So my FID and permits came in (YAY!!!).  And a friend of mine wants to sell me his Smith and Wesson model 5904 9mm.  Still in excellent shape.  He's offering me the pistol, 2 14rd mags, a holster and 2 boxes of ammo for $450.  I have had my eye on a new Ruger P95 9mm, which will run me about $375 for the pistol and 2 15rd mags, including the transfer fee and NICS charges.  But no holster or ammo.  So, thats my dilemma.  Thoughts?  opinions?

The harder it is to make a decision the less important the choice.

You can probably find magazines for the 5905 cheaper than the P95 since the 5904 was used by some LEO's and the P95 (to my knowledge) was never picked up by anyone.  

But... Ruger is still manufacturing the P series.

I would go with the P series since it is still in production and parts may be easier to come by if it breaks.

I've personally had both so I can offer you my opinion. If I had to choose between the two. I'd take the ruger. However the ruger is a tank and is extremely heavy. But its a workhorse and will last you forever. The Smith is nice but I never liked it. The triggr was very sloppy and unpredictable. I swear it would have a different pull everytime.

If I could give you my honest opinion I wouldnt get either. Sounds like it might be your first gun so I'd save up another hundred and get something better. A g19 glock or a Beretta. Maybe even the Smith m&p series or a ruger SR9.

Dave.

I was looking at this same gun featured in the CDNN catalog awhile back and did some research.The gun was picked up by many Law enforcement agency's so there is a few out there as well as parts and mags, however it had a reputation for being difficult to shoot accurately,either because it didn't fit quite right,balance was off and the trigger was never a favorite.....All can be fixed and the gun modified but it costs so I passed. As your first gun I would look else where although the price seem to be good with all the extras.

However the ruger is a tank and is extremely heavy.

Sounds like it might be your first gun so I'd save up another hundred and get something better. A g19 glock or a Beretta. Maybe even the Smith m&p series or a ruger SR9.

Dave.

This is my first gun!  So when i read this i started comparing weights, the P95 is about the same weight as the SR9, about 5 oz lighter than the Beretta 92 series and just about the same as the PX4 Storm, and 3 oz heavier than the M&P 9mm.  The Glock 19 was significantly lighter but i didnt really like the feel of it in my hand.  I'm going on Monday to check out a P95 so i'll have a better idea of whats best for me then.

Thanx to everyone for their input!  Love to hear some more opinions... :)

Go with the one you really want no ammo or no holster. If that's the one you have your mind set on get it. Or next month you will be posting a thread saying "wts or wtt" 

Holster is not important at all unless you plan on carrying it. Also if it's your friend ask him to hold it for you until you get another permit. Problem solved. 

Go with the one you really want no ammo or no holster. If that's the one you have your mind set on get it. Or next month you will be posting a thread saying "wts or wtt" 

Holster is not important at all unless you plan on carrying it. Also if it's your friend ask him to hold it for you until you get another permit. Problem solved. 

Well, I have 3 permits but the Wife would eat my very soul if i spent a ton on anything. :).  I had planned on buying a 9mm semi and a .22 six shooter for plinking.  The 3rd permit was because.....well, just because!  lol.  I have basically already decided against the S&W after having read some reviews about the trigger and accuracy issues.

I would take the Ruger!

Why is your friend get rid of the Smith & Wesson?

He is a private investigator and hasnt carried the S&W in years.  He carries a G19 now.  He was trying to help me out with my first purchase is all. 

Holster is not important at all unless you plan on carrying it.  

I respectfully disagree.  I think anybody who lived through Sandy thinks a holster (and a tactical light) is a sensible investment, although I agree with you that it may not be of primary importance.  

I have the P85, predecessor to the P95, both tanks but the P95 is more like a Sherman and P85 is like a M1 Abrams (medium duty compared to main battle tanks). You should also look at the Sig SP2022. Not much more than the Ruger, comes with night sights, a decocker, and 2 grips for different size hands. Very accurate, and mags were readily available and about $23 ea before the SHTF. I would put that against my Ruger any day!