NJSigfan

Would this be legal in NJ

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little guidance. Is this upper legal in NJ? My concern in the 'A2 flash hider'. I'm still learning my way thru this stuff. I will be marrying this to a Poly lower with rock river lpk.

Thanks

Upper Receiver Features:

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO

Bolt & Carrier Group: SAA BCG

Gas Block: Standard Height Single Piccatinny Railed

Front Sight: None

Barrel Length: 16"

Barrel Material: 4140 Chrome Moly

Barrel Finish: Matte Black

Barrel Profile: M4 Standard profile .750" Diameter

Twist Rate: 1:9

Flash Hider: Standard A2

Handguard: Free Floating Tubular, carbine length

Additional Info: M4 Style Feed Ramps, Complete with charging handle.

*All uppers have been head spaced and test fired for safety and to insure proper function.

I always have the urge to say "NO" when someone asks if something is legal in NJ. Just a knee jerk reaction. I wrote an article in my blog about you poor souls in NJ and the new proposed gun control measures. It is surprising how many people in other States do not know what you guys have to put up with. When you are raised in a place where you can simply walk into a gun store, buy anything legal according to Federal laws and walk out with it after a 5 minute NICS check, you assume everyone can do the same. Even down here, a lot of the people are aghast at the NJ gun laws. They all seem to know about NYC but not so much about NJ.

Thank you for the information.

The fact it says flash hider makes it a no go

Can someone explain to me in 4th grader terms, the difference with a muzzle break and flash hider?

I emailed the seller to see if it could be removed, but no response

Would it be illegal to purchas an upper with the flash hider with the intention of taking to a smith so it can removed and replaced with a muzzle break

Good intentions don't count.  Possession counts.  Call your smith and have it drop shipped straight there for its modifications.  If you don't own a lower, you can possess the "illegal" upper and take it yourself. 

See...this is why this forum is great.

Thank you for the speedy replies and key information. I already have the lower built, so buying this would be bad.

I wish it was easier to get things in this state...

Do what Anselmo suggested. Its easier than you think. There is a cheap (if you prefer) muzzle brake on sale on Amazon.

Get a quote from one of the FFLs on these forums and You could have both shipped to the FFL/smith directly.

That actually saves you time and headache.

If an a2 flash hider is pinned and welded in easy terms I guess with a washer or whatever they use by a FFL and they shaved down the bayonet lug, thats legal right?

You're allowed 1 evil feature on a semi auto rifle.  A flash hider is an evil feature. A threaded barrel is an evil feature.   If that's your only evil feature, you're legal.  If you have a pistol grip, then you'd have more than 1 evil feature.  And be illegal. 

If you pin and weld you remove the threaded barrel evil feature but the flash hider would still be there.

You're allowed 1 evil feature on a semi auto rifle.  A flash hider is an evil feature. A threaded barrel is an evil feature.   If that's your only evil feature, you're legal.  If you have a pistol grip, then you'd have more than 1 evil feature.  And be illegal. 

If you pin and weld you remove the threaded barrel evil feature but the flash hider would still be there.

Still a bit confused. My ffl wouldn't sell it to me if it wasn't compliant right? I did change the pistol grip on mine

If an a2 flash hider is pinned and welded in easy terms I guess with a washer or whatever they use by a FFL and they shaved down the bayonet lug, thats legal right?

Simplest taboo list for typical ban state ARs:

-No flash hider

-No bayo lug

-No adjustable stock

If the barrel is threaded, the muzzle device should be permanently affixed by

-pinning (press fit) - ala Stag Arms

-pinning & top welding so pin doesn't back out (most popular method)

-silver soldering with correct amount of silver content

-Welding - least aesthetic results.

Muzzle device could be a brake/compensator or a thread cap but NOT a flash hider. There are some brakes that resemble a birdcage flash hider but the orifice is usually large enough to pass the bullet. If you can fit your pinky finger in the muzzle device, take the upper back to your FFL.

For a more specific explanation:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/blog/1/entry-16-nj-gun-law-summary/

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic rifle and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

1) A folding or telescoping stock;

2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3) A bayonet mount;

4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

5) A grenade launcher

Example

1) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip. LEGAL

2) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip AND a flash hider. ILLEGAL

Let's assume everyone has pistol grip.  That is your one and only evil feature allowed.

If you have a threaded barrel, you have to weld something on the end of the barrel to get rid of the threaded barrel evil feature.  If that something on the end is a flash hider, you have 2 evil features.  Illegal. 

I'm not knowledgeable enough about flash hider vs muzzle break but that looks like a flash hider to me. 

Simplest taboo list for typical ban state ARs:

-No flash hider

-No bayo lug

-No adjustable stock

If the barrel is threaded, the muzzle device should be permanently affixed by

-pinning (press fit) - ala Stag Arms

-pinning & top welding so pin doesn't back out (most popular method)

-silver soldering with correct amount of silver content

-Welding - least aesthetic results.

Muzzle device could be a brake/compensator or a thread cap but NOT a flash hider. There are some brakes that resemble a birdcage flash hider but the orifice is usually large enough to pass the bullet. If you can fit your pinky finger in the muzzle device, take the upper back to your FFL.

For a more specific explanation:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/blog/1/entry-16-nj-gun-law-summary/

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic rifle and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

1) A folding or telescoping stock;

2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3) A bayonet mount;

4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

5) A grenade launcher

Example

1) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip. LEGAL

2) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip AND a flash hider. ILLEGAL

I always ask:

You state early on "adjustable stock"

Than later when you quote the reg you say:

1) A folding or telescoping stock

Adjustability is not either of those. I just don't understand how everybody has accepted absolutely that an adjustable stock is a telescoping stock. A telescoping stock slides into the receiver in essence making the stock disappear.

This is not an attack on you, your explanation was well written and informative. I am compelled to ask this one question frequently.

I have been unable to find a single case with an adjustable stock being prosecuted as an evil feature in this state in an admittedly cursory search.

I always ask:

You state early on "adjustable stock"

Than later when you quote the reg you say:

1) A folding or telescoping stock

Adjustability is not either of those. I just don't understand how everybody has accepted absolutely that an adjustable stock is a telescoping stock. A telescoping stock slides into the receiver in essence making the stock disappear.

This is not an attack on you, your explanation was well written and informative. I am compelled to ask this one question frequently.

I have been unable to find a single case with an adjustable stock being prosecuted as an evil feature in this state in an admittedly cursory search.

Good point.

What about a California legal "featureless" AR? Would a threaded barrel be legal then?

Since they are on one line, are the flash hider and threaded barrel one evil feature or are they considered two different ones?

I have seen that in California with this featureless build, they can have a 30 round mag.

I don't remember all the specs but a few of them are a bullet button, instead of a mag release and a Monster Man Grip to replace the pistol grip. Then I guess they have a non telescoping stock.

Seems even though California law is similarly strict as NY and NJ, they have found legal ways to have other features.

Here is a link to a shop in California that supply featureless builds.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

Just so happens these guys posted a video today about California gun laws.