TheWombat

The Wombat Post-It Note Challenge - Can you handle it!

The Wombat Post-It Note Challenge - Can you handle it!

As there has been some interest in my Post-It Note training regime I thought the growing forum population might enjoy turning it into a fun challenge. We'll try this first one which will run through to the end of May, if there is sufficient interest then we can repeat with difference scenarios on a regular cycle.

One of the things I've noticed at the range is many shooters with firearms that have DA/SA or safeties typically don't focus on repeating the 'first shot' scenario which includes the DA shot or switching the safety off (and then back on). The idea of this Wombat Post-It Note Challenge is to focus on those activities and then add a buzzer to increase the stress level slightly. The result should be an opportunity for a shooter to see whether these are areas of their technique to focus on further, and also to have a bit of FUN!

Goal: To improve the consistency and technique of using a handgun for the initial draw and shoot.
Equipment: Holster (preferred), Handgun (Semi-auto or revolver are both fine), Timer/Buzzer, 50 rounds (any caliber including .22LR), 3" square Post-It Notes and target/paper to attach them to.

NOTES
Timer/Buzzer: If you have a CED7000 or PAC timer then great, if not then search for 'shot timers' in the iOS App Store and Android Store and use one of these applications on your iPhone or Android phone. The Timer/Buzzer should be set with a random delay for the initial buzzer where possible.
Holster: If your range does not allow you to draw from a holster then start from the LOW READY position with your finger OFF the trigger.
         If your range does allow you to draw from a holster then start with your hands relaxed by your side - do NOT grip the handgun.
Safeties/Decockers: Your firearm should start with any external safety devices engaged, and if a DA/SA firearm then it should be in DA mode. At each Reset* you must re-engage the safety and switch back to DA mode if applicable.
Target Distance: For this first challenge we will start at 7 yards. If you find this distance too easy then by all means move the target to 10 or 15 yards as an additional challenge once you have completed the 7 yard challenge.
Common Sense: Don't try this challenge unless you feel comfortable to perform the actions in a safe manner. This challenge is NOT about shooting as quickly as possible or putting yourself or others in danger.

TARGET

The target should be at 7 yards with the Post-It notes attached as shown below. You do NOT need to number the Post-It notes, I have done so purely to help with explaining the sequence of fire.

Challenge1_zpscaffc174.jpg

SCORING

The score is based on the sum of the time (in seconds) you took to complete each sequence. Any misses are scored as 3 seconds for the first miss within a Sequence, 4 seconds for the second miss within a Sequence and 5 seconds for the third and all subsequent misses within a Sequence. A miss is counted as the target Post-It Note has not been struck by the bullet. If the bullet has clipped the edge of the Post-It note such that there is a visible edge of a hole on the Post-It note then that shot is classed as a hit.

If you have a misfire then you CANNOT replace the round i.e. you can only start with 50 rounds for sequences 1 to 3. You can try to reshoot the round if it is safe to do so which can include ejecting and reloading that round. We're also testing how reliable your firearm and ammunition are :-)

THE CHALLENGE

Reset* means: Reset firearm i.e. put back to DA mode, re-engage external safeties, reholster firearm, record time for shot and whether hit correct target. You may also reload or top up magazines at this point.

Sequence 1:
1. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A1, Reset*
2. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A2, Reset*
3. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A3, Reset*
4. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A4, Reset*
5. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A5, Reset*
6. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A5, Reset*
7. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A4, Reset*
8. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A3, Reset*
9. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A2, Reset*
10. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note A1, Reset*

Sequence 2:
1. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B1, Reset*
2. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B2, Reset*
3. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B3, Reset*
4. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B4, Reset*
5. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B5, Reset*
6. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B5, Reset*
7. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B4, Reset*
8. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B3, Reset*
9. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B2, Reset*
10. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 2 shots at Post-It Note B1, Reset*

Sequence 3:
1. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C5, Reset*
2. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C5, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C1, Reset*
3. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D5, Reset*
4. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D5, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D1, Reset*
5. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C5, Reset*
6. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D5, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C1, Reset*
7. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C5, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D1, Reset*
8. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D5, Reset*
9. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note C5, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D1, fire 1 shot at Post-It Note D5, Reset*

Sequence 4 (Optional):

1. Buzzer, Draw from holster, fire 10 shots in 10 Seconds at Post-It Note E, Reset*

note: Sequence 4 is not about rapid firing. It is optional as it exceeds the 50 round count and it would put revolvers and certain semi-automatics at a disadvantage. The aim is to find a rhythmic cadence to shoot all 10 shots accurately within the 10 seconds. Some ranges may also not like a person firing 10 shots in 10 seconds and class it as rapid fire. If in doubt check with the Range Safety Officer (RSO)

RESULTS: Post this section as a reply on this thread

Firearm:
Caliber:
Holster or Low Ready:

Optional: Include photo of the target

Sequence 1:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Sequence 1 Total Misses:
Sequence 1 Total Misses Penalty Time:
Sequence 1 Total Time:

Sequence 2:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Sequence 2 Total Misses:
Sequence 2 Total Misses Penalty Time:
Sequence 2 Total Time:

Sequence 3:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:  

Sequence 3 Total Misses:
Sequence 3 Total Misses Penalty Time:
Sequence 3 Total Time:

TOTAL Sequence 1,2,3 MISSES:
TOTAL Sequence 1,2,3 PENALTY TIME:
TOTAL Sequence 1,2,3 TIME:

Sequence 4: (Optional)
1:

Sequence 4 Total Misses:
Sequence 4 Total Misses Penalty Time:
Sequence 4 Total Time:

Enjoy!

TheWombat

Wombat, I like this. Particularly in the da/sa world with a Sig, it's very good to train with. When my shoulder is back into the swing of things I will def like to take this challenge.

Thanks for posting this.

Sounds a lot like the "Dot Torture" drill I first saw over at PistolTraining.com:

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Dot Torture

This is a great marksmanship drill that came from David Blinder at personaldefensetraining.com.

Start at 3 yards. You have to get all 50 hits to pass. Once you can shoot the whole drill without a single miss, either increase the distance or add time pressure. For instance, try to finish the entire drill in under 5 minutes while maintaining 100% accuracy.

Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.

Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.

Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.

Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

Link to printable target:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf

Print it on a standard sheet of 8.5"x11" paper.

The directions of what to shoot at each dot are right on the target.

The only scoring is Pass/Fail.

There are similarities to dot drills, and I've posted a variety of dot drills previously. In my experience ome shooters may find them boring or repetitive. The idea of the Post It note challenge is the additional variety you can add.

Sounds a lot like the "Dot Torture" drill I first saw over at PistolTraining.com: