410guy

Pistol permit extensions???

After 7 months of waiting (see essex county topic), I should be getting my 2 pistol permits this coming week. I hear that the NICS delays are now possibly up to as much as 19-20 days. At this rate, I'm afraid that I will get screwed out of using my 2nd permit because of the delays, and i might only be able to purchase one gun during the 90 day period before my permits expire.

How does one go about getting their permits extended?? Can you simply ask for an extension when you go to pick up the permits?? Can one of the detectives sign off on an extension or does it have to go through the chief?? I'm afraid to ask if they are going to take forever to sign off on it, or give me a hard time about it.

Any advice??

It all depends on your town - gotta love this state where you get treated well in one area, but live a mile away and you get screwed.  Some want you to come in just before they expire, some want you to come in that day, some want you to come in just after.  I was very lucky when I last got mine.  I got four at the time and immediately asked what to do as it would not be possible to use all in 90 days.  I was told they could just extend them all on the spot for the full 180 max if I wanted.  Sure is nice to live in a Republican town. 

Bottom line, you won't know till you ask.

I'm afraid to ask if they are going to take forever to sign off on it, or give me a hard time about it.

Any advice??

If you dont ask them then for sure your permits will not get extended.

I am in a similar bind. I plan to go ask them a week before the permit expires.

My town is very small and the chief is always there.

If you dont ask them then for sure your permits will not get extended.

I am in a similar bind. I plan to go ask them a week before the permit expires.

My town is very small and the chief is always there.

I would not wait.  With all the crap going on in Trenton for all you know they could quickly pass a law saying no more extensions.  Go in ASAP and ask.  They are not going to take away what you have for asking.  Go ask, they may just do it on the spot, or they may tell you that you have to wait -- it never hurts to ask the question.

I would not wait.  With all the crap going on in Trenton for all you know they could quickly pass a law saying no more extensions.  Go in ASAP and ask.  They are not going to take away what you have for asking.  Go ask, they may just do it on the spot, or they may tell you that you have to wait -- it never hurts to ask the question.

That didn't work for me, I asked last week and I was told I still have over 60 days to use 2 permits. But I was told to come back a week or 2 before it expires.

How do you figure that you'll have a problem using only two permits even if NICS takes 20 days?

Day 1 - Purchase 1st pistol and submit NICS

Day 20 - NICS complete take possession

Day 51 - Purchase 2nd pistol and submit NICS

Day 70 - NICS complete take possession

20 days to spare.

Now three permits, my situation, is a little different.

Well I'm just asking as a worst case scenario. Like if by the time I was able to use the 2nd permit the delays were to get much worse.

How do you figure that you'll have a problem using only two permits even if NICS takes 20 days?

Day 20 - NICS complete take possession

20 days to spare.

Now three permits, my situation, is a little different.

As I understand it, NICS checks are good for 30 days from when they are INITIATED.  Theoretically, NICS can't go beyond 30 days because then the response would no longer be valid.  I really can't see it goiing much beyond where it is now.  At 20 days, they can make the argument there is still enough time to pick up.  At 26-27 days, they would have no leg to stand on as it may be impossible to complete your pickup before the NICS check expires. 

My $.02.

There is an exception to every rule but lately I found that the best way to

use 3 permits is as follows:

Day 20 - NICS complete take possession ( I find that my NICS checks are taking avg. of 15 days, not 20)

20 days to spare.

Approx. 1 week before your third permit expires, write a brief letter to the chief of Police

in your town and explain as follows:

"I am a gun collector, and due to the current turn around time for NICS checks, I was unable

to use my last permit (#.....................) within the aloted 90 day period.

I respectfully request to have the attached permit extended for an additional 90 days as per

NJ law. Thank you in advance"

Take the letter & your 3rd permit to the records division that issued the permit originally and 

politely ask if you can p/u the re-newed permit next week?

9 out of 10 times you get a response similar to " O.K. - give us a call next week"

9 out of 10 times your permit will be re-newed and ready when you call.

Attaching a formal letter (note) along with a little politeness goes a long way - JMO

Good Luck! 

No problems with 3 permits here if you have an FFL that's willing to understand the situation. Nothing illegal

Because LGS write down on the permit the day you bought the pistol not the day NICS clears. So lets say i "bought" my pistol 4/16 .. But i took it home 4/30... The date on my permit says 4/16 not 4/30... So i went to my LGS 5/17 to buy another pistol ... Exactly 31 days after i bought the last one ... Totally legal.. And i wont need any extensions...

Because LGS write down on the permit the day you bought the pistol not the day NICS clears. So lets say i "bought" my pistol 4/16 .. But i took it home 4/30... The date on my permit says 4/16 not 4/30... So i went to my LGS 5/17 to buy another pistol ... Exactly 31 days after i bought the last one ... Totally legal.. And i wont need any extensions...

Nope, the 30 day clock starts at the point of TRANSFER, which is when the NICS is approved and you pick the gun up, NOT when you drop the permit off.  If the FFL is having you sign the permit before the NICS is in they are wrong

Nope, the 30 day clock starts at the point of TRANSFER, which is when the NICS is approved and you pick the gun up, NOT when you drop the permit off.  If the FFL is having you sign the permit before the NICS is in they are wrong

It goes by the date on your pistol permit bottom line...

Did you get an extension for this permit or are you still on your first 90 days? Your allowed to request one 90 day extension.

Yes I was still on my first 90 days

Good news is you are allowed to file for one 90 day extension from your issuing authority. From what it sounds like your Chief of police. Bad news it is at their discretion weather to issue the extension or not. Good luck!