JLF

Remington 597 semi rifle

Anyone have this model?

Just trying to get an idea for what I want.

Although the 10 round magazine seems somewhat obtuse. Forgive me for the noob question, but I would be able to get a 15 round magazine for it aftermarket right?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-597-Rimfire-Rifle-Package&i=GM443619&aID=510E4B&merchID=4006

This rifle is very picky about what ammo feeds properly. The cheap stuff will jam it. CCI works well in it.

I have never had a problem with cheap stuff.. It's all in how you load the magazines 2 seconds of attention paid to how u load them equeals trouble free shooting

I have never had a problem with cheap stuff.. It's all in how you load the magazines 2 seconds of attention paid to how u load them equeals trouble free shooting

I should have spent the extra 2 seconds. What was I thinking. Stoopid me, I ALWAY'S DO THAT!!!!!!

Anyone have this model?

Just trying to get an idea for what I want.

Although the 10 round magazine seems somewhat obtuse. Forgive me for the noob question, but I would be able to get a 15 round magazine for it aftermarket right?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-597-Rimfire-Rifle-Package&i=GM443619&aID=510E4B&merchID=4006

mine handled bulk federal ok  - it likes cci better (tactical, or mini mags).  you do have to take a few seconds loading  - magazines can be a bit finky.

and gratuitous pic,  although not sure this holds  a candle to  Hello Kitty

remington by zesler, on Flickr">Image

I should have spent the extra 2 seconds. What was I thinking. Stoopid me, I ALWAY'S DO THAT!!!!!!

It's super easy u jus have to be conscious of how you load the mags that's all it's really really simple

I picked one up back in January.  597 20" HB from Dicks(yeah yeah I know.....), I've got about 700 rounds through it and it has been flawless.  I guess at times I want something out of the norm, so I DIDN'T want a 10/22.  I read all the 597 reviews, and was maybe a bit apprehensive, but everyone said an extractor change and trigger change were necessary, after that you'd be good to go.  

So I ordered the Volquartsen extractor and hammer, as soon as I got the rifle.  I haven't put the extractor in yet.  To date I have not a single FTE.  The only issue I've had at all was one failure to fire, Winchester Super X RN, tried the round twice, the rim crimped each time, let the guy next to me try it in his bolt CZ and he had no luck either.  So I'm pretty sure it was just a bad primer.  In terms of the trigger, the stock felt fine, was pretty smooth, but a bit heavy.  Switching the to the target hammer reduced the [pull noticeably, but I don't think it got any smoother(not that it had to).  I just shoot paper off the bench from 50-100yds so it was nice to lighten the pull a bit.

So I say DO IT.  Its a great gun, easy to work on if you take your time, super reliable if you have an '12+ model. The Truth About Guns posted a review last month you should check out, they raved about it.  Joe

Oooh I like the fiberglass on the SS, but then I still gotta shell out for optics. And that's one of the pricier models...

mine handled bulk federal ok  - it likes cci better (tactical, or mini mags).  you do have to take a few seconds loading  - magazines can be a bit finky.

and gratuitous pic,  although not sure this holds  a candle to  Hello Kitty

8735530192_4d8b5fbd60.jpg

remington by zesler, on Flickr">Image

If that were stainless, it would be a perfect companion to my 700 7mm-08!

27286_10101179935566719_754956341_n.jpg

@wvishome, first thing I thought of they must be cousins.

There's no 15 round mags, but I did buy a 30 round remington mag out of state and permantly modded it to have 15 rounds. Only downer was when I finished the work, the mag feeds terribly! Keep shooting.org has great 10 round mags

Well crap. Thanks for letting me know though!

It's super easy u jus have to be conscious of how you load the mags that's all it's really really simple

I also did this:

:facepalm:

So you are able to load the mags so they dont jam?  What specifically do yo do to load  the mags correctly as opposed to doing it wrong?

Oooh I like the fiberglass on the SS, but then I still gotta shell out for optics. And that's one of the pricier models...

2nd on the Marlin 795

I had one and it was a great little gun for the money.  I sold it only because after i got the .22LR conversion for the AR it NEVER left the safe...

2nd on the Marlin 795

I had one and it was a great little gun for the money.  I sold it only because after i got the .22LR conversion for the AR it NEVER left the safe...

Awesome thanks for the input, did you put a scope on yours?