Mikeg1970

.22 or 9mm or bigger??

I just got a new p2p. I have a sw6906 9mm that I purchased in 1991. I love the pistol.

I am in the market for a new one and have been considering the sw mp22. I have been flipping back and forth on getting another 9mm or bigger vs a 22. Not concerned about hd since I already have a 9.

Thinking the 22 would be great for range/target. I am also going to get an mp15-22 rifle, so was thinking I would not have to keep a wide variety of ammo.

Any thoughts? Would I enjoy the 22 or do you think I might miss the recoil/power??

Mikeg1970

I just got a new p2p. I have a sw6906 9mm that I purchased in 1991. I love the pistol.

I am in the market for a new one and have been considering the sw mp22. I have been flipping back and forth on getting another 9mm or bigger vs a 22. Not concerned about hd since I already have a 9.

Thinking the 22 would be great for range/target. I am also going to get an mp15-22 rifle, so was thinking I would not have to keep a wide variety of ammo.

Any thoughts? Would I enjoy the 22 or do you think I might miss the recoil/power??

Mikeg1970

you might miss the recoil,  but you can be a lot more precise with a 22.   i almost always bring a 22   with a .40 or 45acp to the range, for a bit of variety.

not to mention,  a brick of 22lr (pre-gouge pricing anyway)  is roughly the same price as a box of .40 or .45, few $ more than 9mm.

Rifle range i'll also bring both  - shoot at the bigger shoot and C targets with bigger rifles,  then the tiny pasters with a scoped 22

A .22 can actually make you a better shooter! I found while shooting higher caliber pistols that I developed a flinch and the 22 greatly made me realize this and will help correct this problem. Also if you purchase some steel targets a .22 can be a lot of fun to shoot at cheaply. It also greatly depends on your budget if you can afford a higher caliber pistol since you have purchase not only the pistol but ammo which costs a lot more. However, if you are in the market for a good high caliber pistol and that's what you really want I would go with that over a .22 since I too enjoy shooting higher calibers over .22's. I hope this helps!

As mentioned the .22 will make you a better shooter. I also have a flinching problem that I work on constantly. A .22 will let you practice the fundamentals of marksmanship with less interference from the gun and cheaper too. 9mm is perfectly okay for self defense so I wouldn't say you "need" another 9 or a 40 or a 45.

Also if you are military S&W currently has a $50 rebate for your purchase of non-shield M&Ps.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am leaning very heavy to the mp22. Think it will accommodate the mp15-22 which I am convinced would be a great 22 rifle.

I thought of a higher caliber with a conversion kit, but hear some stories about fte/ftf.

As for the 1911, not really feeling the style. I do like and always wanted the sig226, but not willing to spend $800+ plus another $250 for a conversion kit since i already have a 9mm.

Mikeg1970

I would get the .22 if you don't mind searching for ammo every week.

I never fired a M&P 22 but have read posts from plenty of forum members speak very highly of them.

I have a Buckmark waitng to come home in a few weeks. I stockpiled a ton of .22 lr the last couple of months to keep it happy. Also picked up a few magazines as well. Very easy to find Buckmark mags.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am leaning very heavy to the mp22. Think it will accommodate the mp15-22 which I am convinced would be a great 22 rifle.

I thought of a higher caliber with a conversion kit, but hear some stories about fte/ftf.

As for the 1911, not really feeling the style. I do like and always wanted the sig226, but not willing to spend $800+ plus another $250 for a conversion kit since i already have a 9mm.

Mikeg1970

Do what I did. Buy a sig 226 classic(22lr) for $540. Then buy there x-change kit which comes in 9mm,40cal,45acp or 357 sig for around $280 and up for one kit. I think for 45 acp you need to buy a sig 220 in 22LR though. No need for a ffl when buying an x-change kit as well.Ships right to your door!

Do what I did. Buy a sig 226 classic(22lr) for $540. Then buy there x-change kit which comes in 9mm,40cal,45acp or 357 sig for around $280 and up for one kit. I think for 45 acp you need to buy a sig 220 in 22LR though. No need for a ffl when buying an x-change kit as well.Ships right to your door!

+1  I did the same for less than $900 total out the door.......22 classic and 40 X-Change kit.

I can just offer my experience. I have a Sig P226 with both the 9mm slide/mag and the .22 slide/mag. I usually shoot the .22 first and then the 9mm. I enjoy shooting both. Maybe enjoy the .22 a little more actually. I'm not sure if that's because I'm just a cheapskate and like the cost of the.22 vs 9mm. My point is that a conversion does make it nice.

Seeing as you already own a 9mm I would advise you shake it up a bit and get something different. Like others have said 22 is cheaper to shoot and will make you a better shot in the long run but at the same time the recoil of say a 40 s&w for 45 acp in some peoples eyes just has that fun factor. My next purchase is going to be a 40 (most likely the FNX), simply because it isn't terribly expensive (under normal market conditions) when compared to say a 45, and it does give me some variety in my lineup (at this point in time I only have 9mm and 22 handguns).

+1  I did the same for less than $900 total out the door.......22 classic and 40 X-Change kit.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the functionality of the 40 conversion kit? Perhaps you may have just swayed me in this direction instead of buying a fnx in 40. If I can have a fully functioning 40 and 22lr sig using only one p2p I am sold!

I can just offer my experience. I have a Sig P226 with both the 9mm slide/mag and the .22 slide/mag. I usually shoot the .22 first and then the 9mm. I enjoy shooting both. Maybe enjoy the .22 a little more actually. I'm not sure if that's because I'm just a cheapskate and like the cost of the.22 vs 9mm. My point is that a conversion does make it nice.

I've got a p2p I was trying to decide what to do with.  I was thinking about a. 22 as well and the P226 with a .40 cal conversion sounds pretty nice.  I see a lot of mixed comments about the .22 though, Did you have any complaints with the .22 at all?

I've got a p2p I was trying to decide what to do with.  I was thinking about a. 22 as well and the P226 with a .40 cal conversion sounds pretty nice.  I see a lot of mixed comments about the .22 though, Did you have any complaints with the .22 at all?

I have not used my 226 yet. But from what I have read the complaints are from people getting the 22 conversion kits not people converting from 22LR.

I have not used my 226 yet. But from what I have read the complaints are from people getting the 22 conversion kits not people converting from 22LR.

Thanks.  I’m still waiting for NICS to clear for the new 9mm Beretta I just bought, and I have some time left on my p2p, so I’d appreciate hearing anything you have to say about it once you’ve had a chance to try out your 226.

Regarding your first question about which cal to buy, I found a range that rents a large variety of different calibers and have been shooting a large number of different guns. Talk about fun research, only Masters and Johnson had a better time. You probably ought to do likewise.

As for the Sig conversion kit, I have one on order (they are habitually hard to find) after almost holding off due to the issues I saw online but upon further investigation I found the Sigpower site and the solution to all the negatives for very reasonable money. Check him out.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the functionality of the 40 conversion kit? Perhaps you may have just swayed me in this direction instead of buying a fnx in 40. If I can have a fully functioning 40 and 22lr sig using only one p2p I am sold!

sorry it took so long to reply....but when using the 226 in 22lr form you forget it's 40......when in 40 you forget it's a 22....

just like having 2 different guns but you don't. Have had 0 problems with either caliber. Right now I have my 40 slide out being nickel plated and np3'd at Robar.

When I get it back I will have a 2-tone 40 and all black 22........now it will actually seem like I have 2 seperate guns......plus "at a glance" I'll know what caliber it is in