Sign in to follow this  
MsM&P9

Move from New Jersey to Maryland

Hello all. Curious if anyone is familiar with firearms laws in Maryland. I legally own a handgun in NJ and am curious what the laws are if I decide to move to Maryland. Where is the best place to get accurate information? The only thing I've heard so far is that some handguns are banned; you likely don't have to register a handgun you now legally own in another state; and some localities do have restrictions.  Frankly, I don't know if what I'm reading is correct or not.  What am I required to do if I move?  What are the transport laws between states (in other words, if I were to drive from NJ to Maryland (through Delaware) if I moved)?  Thanks to anyone who can provide feedback.  Much appreciated.

heres some of the recent events... theres more

Maryland's new law bans the sale of 45 types of assault-style rifles and their copycats, limits magazines to 10 bullets, and requires fingerprints and a license to buy a handgun. O'Malley plans to sign it next month. Maryland's attorney general has rebutted the NRA's allegation that the law is so broadly written that it violates the Second Amendment.

Critics noted that Maryland already has strong laws, including universal background checks and a seven-day waiting period to buy a gun. The state doesn't even have a loophole allowing for private sales at gun shows without the same background check that licensed dealers are required to obtain, said Sen. Allan Kittleman, R-Howard.

Thanks for all the info.  Lovely, another messed up state re: gun laws.  All I'm curious about is I legally own a handgun already.  Is it banned in Maryland and do I need to register it?  All of this is going to factor into whether I actually move to the state or not.  After everything I went through to get it I don't want to lose it.

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley’s ambitious gun-control package would require citizens who move to Maryland to register guns purchased in other states, and will make it illegal for residents younger than 21 years old to purchase or own registered firearms or ammunition.

Buy all that you can before October 1st after then a lot of guns will be banned. If you want to maintain your rights, move to PA or VA instead. Where in MD are you moving I'm in College Park. I forget the specifics on the handgun roster right now.

www.mdshooters.com

Edit: Look up SB281 for all the new regulations for Oct 1

those are old laws I believe that havent been updated with new bills.

Yes, that was the original site I used to reference. Some searches should be conducted for the new info.

I have a slew of family members who left NJ & PA for the farmlands and outlying communities of MD some forty years ago only see their state dissolve into a bastion of liberals and liberal thinking.

Thanks everyone.  Hey Dan_G that's great info.  Maybe I picked the right county.  :)   Move is not definite yet, but it is good to know.  I just need the specifics in case I do move so I handle things correctly and legally.  Have more research to do I guess.  It's just much easier to get it from people that know the laws in different states.

Your going from horrible to even more horrible come October. Goc O'Mally is a POS when it comes to just about everything firearms and taxes  fall in that category. My brother is a Police officer in MD he turned his badge in today and is leaving the state for the 2 reasons mentioned above.

If you own a firearm which is currently regulated in MD, which pretty much anything currently regulated will be banned after Oct 1, you need to register it within I believe 90 days if you intend to become a resident.

Read this thread for more and better info.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

O'Malley and the AG are very anti gun. Just recently the AG ruled that the AR15 was an unusual weapon and not in common use so they could ban it.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585&highlight=SB281

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf <- open in adobe to show correctly

8. Anyone who moves into the state would be required to register "all regulated firearms" with 90 days after establishing residency (see page 52). This would apply to all handguns, except muzzleloaders and antiques (pre-1899), no matter when or where they were acquired. I suppose it will also be applied to any "assault" rifle that was lawfully possessed by the new resident prior to October 1, 2013, although that is not perfectly clear. There will be a $15 application charge, which will cover any number of handguns/regulated firearms. It appears to me that criminal penalties would apply for failure to register a handgun within 90 days, but I would appreciate some lawyer well versed in the criminal code looking at that question. If I am right, a new resident might find grandpa's old service revolver in a trunk in a few years, take it down to the local gun shop to sell it, and end up arrested for failure to register the handgun within 90 days of establishing residency.

I already legally own the firearm.  Do I need to register it?  What process do I need to go through?  If I already own it I'll be damned if they're going to make it difficult for me to keep it

MD already has restricted and non restricted firearms. both can be owned however restricted covers all handguns and assault style rifles. Come October they will all be banned, and you will have to have all registered. If you are moving there after October 1st of this year I believe you will not be able to own all of these weapons except for your hand guns, they will need to be registered and you may have to get a ffl with a manufacturing license to do a shell casing test on each one for the state police records. Any assault rifles in almost any configuration will be deemed illegal.

If you go there before October and establish residency you will have to register all your restricted weapons come October and I believe there is a  tax for each one. The same shell case test may need to be done either way. Both the new and old laws of MD are very confusing, FFL's that deal with handguns have to have 2 state licenses one for restricted and one for non restricted right now. Their laws are actually more confusing then NJ. You best bet is to Joni the MD shooters forum and get your information there.

If you go to MD after October 1st you will only be able to keep what you owned prior to October 1st and you will have to register them.

If you go to MD before October 1st, you are fine and need to do nothing. The registration part of the bill was stricken if you are a resident and own a regulated weapon before then.

Shell case testing only applies to brand new handguns.

My advice would be buy as many AR lowers and AK receivers prior to October 1st as you can or else you wont be able to.

I'll admit that I followed my job up here to NJ from Maryland a little over a year ago. I thought NJ was bad, but MD is getting even worse (for now). I will never move back to Maryland. Move to Virginia if at all possible. MDShooters.com is a good source for information regarding MD gun laws.

For restricted weapons there was a 7 day waiting period in place, and non restricted are instant check. Well non restricted you can still get instant checked and walk out the same day. On restricted the current wait is over 90 day's. My brother has been waiting for an AK almost 3 months and

still cannot get it. His FFL has at least 150 guns he is sitting on that all have been paid for waiting for the MSP to complete. They told him today that

they are working 21 hours a day to complete back ground checked but we all know that is BS.