Ghost1082

Shooting/Transport in another state.

Loaded question.

Father and brother want to go to the range this upoming Memorial weekend.

They both live in CT and I'm here in NJ.

Planning on going up there for the entire weekend and curious about transporting my firearms.

1) If I wanted to bring firearms with me to CT am I allowed to do so provided they are locked and unloaded in the trunk? (and left at his house when not on the way to/from the range)

2) If they want to visit me here in NJ and want to bring firearms, are they allowed to do so?

3) Is there any difference between handguns and rifles in terms of laws and transport?

4) Finally, rifles legal in CT that may not be legal in NJ - are they allowed in NJ ranges?

Any help/insight with these questions would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks!

1. I believe so. The firearm has to be CT compliant. They have a 10 round mag limit now and a new strengthened assault weapons ban. They also require an eligibility cert (or a pistol permit I believe) to possess from 2014 onwards. Not worth it.

2. Directly to a NJ range and back, same day, no stops, yes. Otherwise, no! They can't go to your home with their guns. I hope they have a full tank of gas too because they have to pass through NY on their way back and can't stop... not worth it.

3. You can't open carry rifles. You can open or concealed carry handguns with a CT pistol permit (which is shall issue in practice) but cops can jam you up for open carry, claiming you are alarming people. 

Loaded question.

Father and brother want to go to the range this upoming Memorial weekend.

They both live in CT and I'm here in NJ.

Planning on going up there for the entire weekend and curious about transporting my firearms.

1) If I wanted to bring firearms with me to CT am I allowed to do so provided they are locked and unloaded in the trunk? (and left at his house when not on the way to/from the range)  I have no idea how CT handles this, I would make sure the firearms and ammo are not readily accessible (firearms in the trunk, ammo up front) but don't take my word for it.

2) If they want to visit me here in NJ and want to bring firearms, are they allowed to do so? As long as the firearms are NJ compliant they should be fine, but if they stop to eat lunch/use a restroom etc., and the NJ Gestapo stops them it could become a serious issue since you are not supposed to make any unnecessary stops while transporting a firearm in NJ.

3) Is there any difference between handguns and rifles in terms of laws and transport? Lock them in you trunk and keep the ammo AWAY from the firearms, ammo in the front seat and firearms in the backseat/trunk. Make sure you have no loaded magazines as that is also illegal in  NJ.

4) Finally, rifles legal in CT that may not be legal in NJ - are they allowed in NJ ranges? No way, if they are not NJ compliant they are illegal.

Any help/insight with these questions would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks!

They cannot bring rifles to your house without an NJ FID card or whatever we call it nowadays.<br>

They cannot bring handguns to your house without an NJ permit to carry a handgun (or whatever that unicorn was ever called).

No on all points. Tell them to bring an NJ compliant yo-yo.

And, if they could bring guns, there is no reason to have guns in the trunk and ammo in the front. There's no such law.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

After doing a bit of research it looks like this...

NO. Just no.

--------------------

Details:

Traveling through NY is generally acceptable as long as you dont stop and your origin and destination allows your legal possesion.

I would be allowed to bring my handgun to CT if I had a non-resident CT permit.

Requires NRA Cert courses - can apply directly to state police.

They would be allowed to bring handguns to NJ if they had non-resident NJ permits.

...you guys know the drill here.

Hope that helps anyone in the future.

*Disclaimer: Not a lawyer. Info subject to change. Own risk.... etc.

I have a question regarding PA. I'm going camping and staying in a trailer at a campground for a few days.

If I satisfy the range requirement ie: "travel from home to a range is permitted" from NJ law would I be in violation of any PA laws?

I know handgun in a secured container ammo in a separate container.

PLENTY of folks travel to attend matches.

PLENTY of folks stay in PA with guns.  NO range requirement, since PA rules apply.  FOPA covers you back to NJ.

These same questions keep popping-up time after time.

People are asking strangers they've never met to tell them about laws:  kind of like asking a deli shop counter man to do thoracic surgery........

PLENTY of folks travel to attend matches.

PLENTY of folks stay in PA with guns.  NO range requirement, since PA rules apply.  FOPA covers you back to NJ.

These same questions keep popping-up time after time.

People are asking strangers they've never met to tell them about laws:  kind of like asking a deli shop counter man to do thoracic surgery........

Except there are people here who are Quite knowledgeable with NJ gun laws. =)  Probably more so than any politician or our own AG.

In PA, possession of a handgun by a person who is not disqualified by a criminal record is legal by default. Unlike NJ.

In PA, any transport of a handgun by "conveyance," obviously including car, is illegal unless you have a CARRY permit from ANY state, or you are going directly to or from an exempted location - target practice, dog training in season, etc.

In PA, you need a RECIPROCAL permit to carry to conceal a handgun or to have a firearm in Philly (unless to/from range etc.)

Bottom line, on the PA side of the Delaware, you need a carry permit from any state to take the handgun by vehicle to the campground. Unless you are doing something at the campground that meets an exception. Or walking there.

Does that include if the handgun is in a secure container separate from the ammo?

I Was looking to goo to the range while i was there.

Does that include if the handgun is in a secure container separate from the ammo?

I Was looking to goo to the range while i was there.

You can't drive around with a handgun in a "secure container" that is "separate from ammo" in Jersey.

You can't drive around with a handgun in a "secure container" that is "separate from ammo" in Pennsylvania.

Here are the exceptions in Pennsylvania:

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

* (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

* (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

* (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

* (1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

* (2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

* (3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

* (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

* (5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

* (6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

* (7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

* (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

* (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

* (10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

* (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

* (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

* (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

* (14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).

* (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:

* (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

* (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

* (16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back,

I'm not a lawyer but as I read the above exceptions since I will only have the firearm in the car on my way to the "abode" a "vacation or recreational home"

and then from the "abode" a "vacation or recreational home"

to my "places of assembly or target practice" then back to my "abode" a "vacation or recreational home" which by btw is not a tent but a privately owned travel trailer

I don't see anything prohibiting it.

I most certainly will not be as you said "driving around" with it

I would be allowed to bring my handgun to CT if I had a non-resident CT permit.

Requires NRA Cert courses - can apply directly to state police.

You need the 8 hour NRA basic with live fire. FIRST steps will not be sufficient. 

&nbsp;

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

&nbsp;

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back,

&nbsp;

I'm not a lawyer but as I read the above exceptions since I will only have the firearm in the car on my way to the "abode" a "vacation or recreational home"

&nbsp;

and then from the "abode" a "vacation or recreational home"

&nbsp;

&nbsp;to my&nbsp;"places of assembly or target practice" then back to my "abode" a "vacation or recreational home" which by btw is not a tent but a&nbsp;privately&nbsp;owned travel trailer

&nbsp;

I don't see anything prohibiting it.

&nbsp;

I most certainly will not be as you said "driving around" with it

&nbsp;

I didn't say that in my first post, or my second, I said it in response to the ridiculous proposition that somehow having a firearm in a secure container and having ammo separate might somehow circumvent laws against possession of a handgun (NJ) or transportation of a handgun via a conveyance (PA). This is a popular misconception in jersey, and I was taught this growing up before you were born. It is meaningless, unless you consider that many people somehow think it allows them to violate the law.

I am not an expert but I have heard over and over that PA case law has been pretty strict about transport via conveyance. I have read that deviations for refueling, rest stops, or food have been denied as exceptions. That is the common understanding. I have had PA legislators tell me that, face to face, and I have had them tell me they are working on this issue for that reason. Even though it is not an issue I have personally perused on a political basis. It's not something I spend much time researching, because unlike NJ, there is a simple solution and it costs $20 and lasts 5 years.

So, I wouldn't hang my hat on the "rally point." Now that layman's caution is out of the way, I don't see any issue with your interpretation in your last post.

But the bigger question is...

Why don't you have a carry permit from ANY state? That would make the question moot and remove all legal peril about things normal people choose not to dabble in.