Blake

Tavor first shoot

Got the Tavor out for a short range trip today, and I wanted to post feedback for those of you thinking about buying one of them.

There were only ~80 rds put downrange, but I am going back soon to put it through it's paces in a more thorough fashion.

There were no malfunctions using 4 different mags all loaded with 556 55gr xtac.  There was 1 15 rd pmag, 1 15rd steel mag, and 2 10 rd steel mags being used.  

The steel mags all dropped free with no issues.  The mag from IWI also dropped free (couldn't take that from the ffl as it wasn't blocked).  I tried 11 different Pmags at home and while they all seated just fine they would not drop free, they had to be pulled out.  I have not tried any other mags.  This isn't a huge issue for me as I have a bunch of steel mags but it would of been nice to have everything drop free.

Recoil is almost non existent as is muzzle rise.  My rifle has a Battlecomp installed on it, but I doubt that made much of a difference.  The rifle does not chuck brass, it shoots out horizontally maybe 3 ft from the rifle.  

Trigger pull is on the heavy side but not terrible.  It is clearly not as crisp as an AR trigger but is not the huge issue people make bullpup triggers out to be.  

I played around with changing the mags at home and it can be done at least as quickly as an AR when using metal mags (or something else that drops free that I haven't tried yet).  Releasing the bolt can be done by racking the charging handle or depressing the lever on the underside of the rifle.  The latter option is quite quick when doing a mag change, but is also very awkward when trying to lock the bolt back with no magazine in it (your only option I believe).  

Accuracy has not yet been determined as a good portion of the rounds were spent horsing around and sighting in the optic (t-1) - also I am also not the best shot in the world.  I am planning on getting back out to the range soon to report back on accuracy and providing pics on the various aspects of the rifle as well as cleaning it (which is super easy btw).  

Overall the rifle is built very well, is rugged, and seems to have had a lot of thought put into the controls.  When it is shouldered the rifle is very well balanced and when using a sling with the built in mounts it is a rock solid platform.

I am definitely happy with my purchase.

That is great that you got one Blake.

I really enjoyed shooting the Tavor,  and if things ever calm down I would like to pick one up.  IWI said they are almost a year behind in production.

I shot them in PA and they had FH's on them so I would like to see how it shoots with the BC. (Hint-Hint) Lol

I was using only P-Mags as was almost everyone else and we had zero issues with them dropping free.  Of course in PA, they were 30 round mags but I can't imagine that perm. altered p-mags would be a problem. If you'd like to try some in PA, let me know.

I was not crazy about the trigger either, but fear not!    IWI has been in contact with Geissele and I understand a trigger will be available at some point in the future.

Congrats again on the purchase!

That is great that you got one Blake.

I really enjoyed shooting the Tavor,  and if things ever calm down I would like to pick one up.  IWI said they are almost a year behind in production.

I shot them in PA and they had FH's on them so I would like to see how it shoots with the BC. (Hint-Hint) Lol

I was using only P-Mags as was almost everyone else and we had zero issues with them dropping free.  Of course in PA, they were 30 round mags but I can't imagine that perm. altered p-mags would be a problem. If you'd like to try some in PA, let me know.

I was not crazy about the trigger either, but fear not!    IWI has been in contact with Geissele and I understand a trigger will be available at some point in the future.

Congrats again on the purchase!

Hmm I wonder why all of mine aren't dropping, I literally tried 11 of them (15/20, 15/30, window, no window).  I think that I will take Krdshrk's advice and see if I can't order some of the EMAGS midwest is going to be selling later this week.  Hopefully that remedies the issue.  

If Geissele makes a trigger for the Tavor I will stand on line for it lol, I imagine it would make a world of difference.

If you are ever down in central jersey let me know and maybe we can meet up at CJRPC to shoot it.   

I have heard  of issues with the Gen2 Pmags not dropping free.  Some say they work and some say they don't.

I was using Gen2 and Gen3 Pmags as well as Emags, no issues.

I wish you were closer we could go over to PA where I have access to all 3 types.

FWIW- The Tavors we were shooting were owned by IWI.  I don't recall them stating that you must use Emags but I could be wrong .  I would contact IWI directly, since you already have those NJ legal mags. 

Krdshrk is of course correct about the EMags but I would be un-happy if my other Mags did not work as well. 

Yea I'm not saying I am thrilled about it but it's not the end of the world either.  I am sure someone will buy my regular pmags lol.  I will shoot IWI an email and see what they say. 

If I was closer to you I would come out for a shoot in PA, but last time I drove to meet you it took almost 2 hours, so that plus the time to get into PA just isn't gona work.  I do have family just over the border though so if I happen to be going out for a family visit I will let you know.  They are all firearm enthusiasts so I am sure they would love for me to bring the Tavor with me.  

Ok so I got the Tavor out for a second shoot, another 120 rds worth.  It is now my favorite rifle to shoot, and I will tell you why:

- No malfunctions even with crappy ammo (granted it was only 30 rds of steel wolf ammo and another 90 rds pmc, for a total of 170 pmc 30 wolf )

- Using the preferred 6 point contact IWI suggests using on the Tavor I felt I was more stable while shooting than on an AR or SCAR

- When using a sling the rifle felt like it became a part of me, rather than an extension of me as happens with the SCAR or AR.  This is most likely due to the reduced length of the Tavor and ease of maneuvering the rifle due to it's size.

I have pics of me shooting the Tavor both sighting it in and then from the bench and un supported.  Please don't take these as what the rifle will do bc I am admittedly a not so good shot and the rifle can certainly do better with a more skilled shooter.  

First a couple rifle shots.  Was shooting alone so no action shots.  

201305171440531.jpg

201305171510471.jpg

201305171534361.jpg

In pic #2 you can best understand my biggest gripe with the rifle.  Picture shouldering the rifle, then wanting to hold the bolt open when the rifle was not done with a magazine or with no magazine.  You would have to rack the bolt with your left hand, and reach underneath the rifle with your right hand and hold the bolt catch open to catch it.  It isn't impossible, and will most likely become second nature with practice, but is annoying right now.  

Here are a few pictures of rounds downrange.  As I stated earlier I am not a good shot by any means.

201305171518501.jpg

In order they were shot:

middle center:  sighting the aimpoint in @ 50 yds from soft bench rest

middle bottom:  10 quick

bottom left: 10 quick

bottom right (5 trying to keep them in the same spot first time)

top right (5 trying second time can;t find shot #5)

top left (5 rds controlled my breathing looks like 3 counted 5 marks in the back of the cardboard)

201305171518351.jpg

Ironically enough this is 5 rds @ 100yds w/ a sling.  I clearly need to work on follow up shots.  

Overall I am loving this rifle.  I will post cleaning pics when I get a chance.  

Also would love to see what this puppy could do with a sharpshooter.  Let me know if you are a CJRPC member and can show me what it's capable of.   

This rifle is on the cover of the latest issue (June 2013) of American Rifleman.  I was about to post to ask if it was NJ legal.

It is NJ legal once you have your FFL pin a NJ compliant muzzle brake on it.  I went with the Battlecomp 1.0, loved it on another rifle and love it so far on this one.

That is a really fun rifle to shoot! I see you changed optics huh?

I LIKE!

It is a blast to shoot (pun intended).  When we were sighting it in the other day with the T-1 I felt like the dot was too big when cranked up due to the sun, especially out past 50 yds.  It was the 4 MOA version so I switched to the 2 MOA PRO and am much happier with it.  You don't really feel the extra weight since the Tavor is already on the heavy side.  

BTW which eotech are you running on your 716?  I liked the 2 dots to account for different distances.

In pic #2 you can best understand my biggest gripe with the rifle.  Picture shouldering the rifle, then wanting to hold the bolt open when the rifle was not done with a magazine or with no magazine.  You would have to rack the bolt with your left hand, and reach underneath the rifle with your right hand and hold the bolt catch open to catch it.  It isn't impossible, and will most likely become second nature with practice, but is annoying right now.  

Here are a few pictures of rounds downrange.  As I stated earlier I am not a good shot by any means.

201305171518501.jpg

In order they were shot:

middle center:  sighting the aimpoint in @ 50 yds from soft bench rest

middle bottom:  10 quick

bottom left: 10 quick

bottom right (5 trying to keep them in the same spot first time)

top right (5 trying second time can;t find shot #5)

top left (5 rds controlled my breathing looks like 3 counted 5 marks in the back of the cardboard)

201305171518351.jpg

Ironically enough this is 5 rds @ 100yds w/ a sling.  I clearly need to work on follow up shots.  

Overall I am loving this rifle.  I will post cleaning pics when I get a chance.  

Also would love to see what this puppy could do with a sharpshooter.  Let me know if you are a CJRPC member and can show me what it's capable of.   

It looks like the missing shot #5 went through the rightmost hole in the target.  It looks just a touch bigger than the other three. 

Nice Rifle ! 

Ken

Awesome dude, I would love to shoot or own one of these someday.

Clint,

If you are going to be down in the CJ area on a day when I have off we can shoot over to CJRPC and you can put some rounds downrange with her (w/ your own ammo of course lol).  It's an awesome rifle.

Glad you were able to get over to the store the other day!

The HHS II has 2 dots and the HHS I has 4 dots calibrated for 5.56 trajectories at the factory. The dots are great with the 3x magnification!

The Comp Pro is a great sight for that Tavor. Does it co witness well with those proprietary iron sights?

Hmm I'm gona look into that HHS II I really liked it.  

The PRO has a near perfect absolute co-witness with the irons.  I snapped a couple pics but they don't wana load from my phone to my email for some reason.  I will try with the mobile site.  

BTW after we were chatting about 1911's at Tony's a few weeks ago I started looking into the semi-custom's.  I looked at the Valor , a WC CQB, and a couple other's and I have my finger's crossed that I am going to have a sweet new 1911 addition to my collection shortly.  

Clint,

If you are going to be down in the CJ area on a day when I have off we can shoot over to CJRPC and you can put some rounds downrange with her (w/ your own ammo of course lol).  It's an awesome rifle.

Glad you were able to get over to the store the other day!

Dude, you got a deal on that. I got a couple hundred rounds waiting hahaha.

Also I always wanted to check out cjrpc.