jamesnjjames

how DO you measure flake powder

I don't have problems with Blue Dot in my Dillon 550B. I do check every 10 rounds though to make sure the throw is consistent since it's a flake powder. To me, it just means I can't make top end loads with them for fear of exceeding safe limits. I used to have the same problem with 800X in 10mm.

If you want extremely precise loads for consistency or maximum power, do each case b do each case by hand.

Red dot is a good powder for .45 --  I'll use Promo on occasion --  I find it hard to measure also

I use a Redding 3br and I find I have to take a half stroke 1st then dump the powder -- The flake powder bridges in the measure so you kind half to shake it in --  

With a half stroke 1st I get very decent results - within a tenth of a grain usually --   Unique has the same problem -- The lyman measure is supposed to be decent with flake powders

Also move your powder baffle up in the measure,  and keep it filled --    

IMO the lee perfect powder measure is far from perfect. 

the autodisk I think would work looking at the alliant load guide as you would be using one of the larger cavities. When I was using lee stuff, I had zero luck with the micrometer adjustable charge bar and had to stick with the disks but they worked pretty pretty well with the flake powders I used.. which weren't red dot, but from pics they look close enough size wise. 

So my $0.02. If youa re trying to use the charge bar, switch back to the disks. If your measure isn't good and dirty, give the sliding bits a rub down with a pencil to get them smoothed out if needed.