High Exposure

Physician Qualification and Liability: Firearms Safety and Counseling Representation

The way the new bills are worded, I will refuse to answer any firearms question. If the Dr starts pushing the subject, I will start asking him personal questions and respond these questions are to determine if you are qualified to be my Dr.

Me owning firearms does not effect my physical health.

If Your Doctor Asks You About Guns, Do You Have to Answer?

Judge Andrew Napolitano explained that the question about guns comes out of a post-Sandy Hook executive order by President Obama, but it will be required under Obamacare. Varney expressed amazement that these questions are being asked, but Napolitano made an important observation.

"Most people will think they have to answer. They don't need to answer under the law," he explained.

Napolitano said it's "exceptionally troublesome" that the questions are being asked, but noted that Congress approved of the gun question when it passed Obamacare. He said the question about a person's relationship at home is "totally a creation" of Health and Human Services under Obama.

"For the government to compel that question, that's the problem. Without authority under the Constitution, or from the Congress, or from federal law or from any source, puts the government in the middle of the patient-physician relationship. That is a sacred relationship. One where there has to be free communication of ideas, not information that's gonna go to the government," said Napolitano, who noted that patients should be informed by the doctor that they are not required by law to answer the questions.

In conclusion, Varney and Napolitano agreed that this is another example of George Orwell's "1984" coming true.

The doctors don't really want to know. It's now something they are suppose to ask. Just say no, your not under oath and there won't ask a second time. Trust me I've been working with doctors everyday for 20 years.

This. 99% of them aren't out to get your guns or pass some moral judgment on you. They're out to meet the tangle of documentation requirements imposed on them by the insurance companies and move onto the next patient.

Just say no. Wink if you know it's a sympathetic doctor, and drop your pants.

If Your Doctor Asks You About Guns, Do You Have to Answer?

Judge Andrew Napolitano explained that the question about guns comes out of a post-Sandy Hook executive order by President Obama, but it will be required under Obamacare. Varney expressed amazement that these questions are being asked, but Napolitano made an important observation.

"Most people will think they have to answer. They don't need to answer under the law," he explained.

I usually respect Napolitano, but did he even read the executive orders before sounding the alarm? Here's the order. Not exactly "compelling." Why would it be prohibited, anyway? Doctors have first amendment rights, too. Reminds me of prohibitions on discussing abortion.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

As an actual doctor, I can say that we don't really care if you have guns or not. Most of the time it's another stupid required box of the electronic medical record. Having said that, there are times where it is appropriate to ask about guns, eg, pediatricians SHOULD ask as it may pose a significant health risk to the child ( remember not every gun owner is a responsible gun owner). Patients that are depressed or otherwise may have some psychiatric condition SHOULD be asked as having guns readily available to someone who is suicidal/homocidal is not a good combination.

Once we know that you have guns what do we do with it? Depends - if you are at SIGNIFICANT/IMPENDING risk we may to tell someone. But that is way far down the line - Do No Harm - if we ignore a threat we are not living up to the oath.

I think the form is silly and adversarial. I have enough paper work to fill out and it would just annoy/piss me off to fill out more useless bs which in turn equals more rectal exams for you. ( just kidding about the rectal)

Just actually read the entire form now --not only is the form adversarial which is not the relationship you want to have with anyone, but "Part 2" make you look like you are looking for a free lunch - we as doctors have enough people like that so ... You'll have to look for a free lunch from someone else's livelihood.

I never really understood why people make such a big deal about doctors asking the question if there are guns in the house. I get the whole privacy thing and all, but what's stopping you from just saying No. Saying no solves the entire problem which unlike simply refusing to answer which most people will take as a yes, especially if you have answered all the rest of the questions. And who know, if God forbid the anti's ever got there dream of creating a list of all gun owners, maybe just maybe by saying no may cause them to misfile your name as a non gun owner.

I never really understood why people make such a big deal about doctors asking the question if there are guns in the house. I get the whole privacy thing and all, but what's stopping you from just saying No. Saying no solves the entire problem which unlike simply refusing to answer which most people will take as a yes, especially if you have answered all the rest of the questions. And who know, if God forbid the anti's ever got there dream of creating a list of all gun owners, maybe just maybe by saying no may cause them to misfile your name as a non gun owner.

Because that would make you liar.. not sure who it would concern tho.