wooly bugger

Fact sheet for the gun-ignorant

Here's a fact sheet on current NJ law. I put it together to distribute at the recent Westfield anti-gun rally. The organizers refused to let me place it on the table along with the anti propaganda. I did manage to discreetly distribute it.

I proposed a while back that we hold pure fact-based educational sessions for the public. I've found that a lot of people who breezily say "we should ban assault weapons" actually get quite curious when I teach them the intricacies of different kinds of firearms. They're not all bad people. Just misguided.

Some people have expressed concern that it is “too easy” to get a gun in NJ. Here is what is required:

1.    Submit application to police department

2.    Obtain fingerprints for background check

3.    Solicit two character references*

4.    Obtain proof of employment

5.    Await character reference review, background check results and police department approval. (Statutory requirement: 30 days. Actual time often 6-9 months, at the discretion of police chief)

6.    Repeat entire process above, minus fingerprinting, for permit to purchase pistol. This permit expires in 90 days. Another purchase after 90 days requires the entire process to be repeated again

7.    Present firearm ID and matching photo ID at store. Fill out paperwork for point of sale background checks. Two separate background checks are run: one at the state level and one at the federal level**

8.    Wait for results of “instant” background check: currently running about 2 weeks

9.    Return to store to pick up firearm

Notes:

·         A total of 3-4 independent background checks are performed before a firearm can be purchased.

·         If the firearm ID holder is convicted of a crime or committed to a mental institution, the firearm ID is revoked, and the individual will fail any further point of sale background checks, thus blocking any future sales

·         Newark mayor Corey Booker recently stated that, after reviewing the history of firearm crimes in Newark, he could identify only one committed by someone who had undergone the above process 

*Some police departments illegally impose extra arbitrary requirements. These include notarization of character reference letters, extra character reference letters, and limits on number of handgun permits allowed

** Until recently, the point of sale background check was “instant,” being performed within 15 minutes of a telephone call. Recently, NJ has moved to a new system which imposes an arbitrary delay. These delays have been running 2-3 weeks, requiring two separate visits to the seller.

You should have put a title like "Proof of how EASY it is to buy a GUN in NJ!" at the top.  They would have probably let you put it on the table then. You have to remember these people aren't very bright in the first place and are obviously easily fooled.

Good list.  #4 is a non-issue if you just list that you are self-employed, retired, or unemployed.

Yeah, but if you are not one of those things, you have just committed a crime

Falsification of this form is a crime of the third degree as provided in NJS 2C:39-10c  A Third degree crime may result in 3-5 years if convicted

Congrats after you get out you NEVER get to have a gun again.  Not the best of plans.

Hey, the form does NOT state that you must list your PRIMARY employer.  So, if you have any small venture on the side you can 100% claim that as your employer and have not violated anything.

My town made me fill out the mental health check for my new permits. It's like 4-5 pages. Big yellow form.

You should contact NJ2AS with the details. I'm pretty sure that's out of protocol.

The sheet I'm talking about is a one page for available on the NJSP website.

My town made me fill out the mental health check for my new permits. It's like 4-5 pages. Big yellow form.

The mental check form is for everyone in the great republic of NJ. The only non-standard form I encountered in Saddle Brook was the firearms questionnaire. It asked the basic questions about employers, past addresses, current people living in household.

I 2nd the quickness of Saddle Brook issuing FID and P2P. Requested a duplicate FID and 2 P2P beginning of January. Both were issued 5 weeks later. Wife went for her initial FID and 1 P2P 2 weeks ago. Like to see the same turnaround time.