A friend of mine in Texas has his hands on some 30 round pmags. Can he ship it another friends house in PA since he wants mags too and I just put mag blocks on them at his house then bring it to my home?

Is it ok for me to pin it myself? Just want to double check.

I took a vendor's pinned mag apart (at an undisclosed location location far, far, away) and it consisted of the following:

1. Plastic spacer/limiter cut at a specific length which was held in place by a pin in the bottom plate.

2. Floor plate was secured in place with a generous amount of instant glue on the track finished with a small roll pin.

I took a vendor's pinned mag apart (at an undisclosed location location far, far, away) and it consisted of the following:

1. Plastic spacer/limiter cut at a specific length which was held in place by a pin in the bottom plate.

2. Floor plate was secured in place with a generous amount of instant glue on the track finished with a small roll pin.

Was it an "official" spacer/block or some home made stuff? Then pinned. I'm definitely going to pin it instead of glue or epoxy.

As long as they don't come into NJ with an ability to hold more than 15, you're GTG

Ya but don't u need to rivet it closed or jb weld the bottom of the mag so you can't take the limiter out?

Not sure that there's ever been a definitive answer on that.

The word that seems to stick is "permanent"

If the mag is PERMANENTLY pinned/blocked @ 15, you should be fine.

All the vendor sourced mags I've had have been blocked, with the baseplate permanently attached.

Not sure if just a pin or rivet are legit?

FWIW, PK90 has blocks to install into mags for sale on his site.

http://www.colddeadhands.com/accessories.html

Pk90's mag block is only for aluminum mags. I thought I read somewhere that as long as they can't be altered back into 30 rounders without any tools, it's considered "permanent"

It's been my interpretation, to be in compliance, that any attempt to "reconstitute" the mag to 20/30 would render it inoperable.

Then again, since there isn't a clear definition of process, it's just an interpretation, I tend to try and err on the side of caution, this is PRNJ after all.

It's been my interpretation, to be in compliance, that any attempt to "reconstitute" the mag to 20/30 would render it inoperable.

Then again, since there isn't a clear definition of process, it's just an interpretation, I tend to try and err on the side of caution, this is PRNJ after all.

Thanks. Restrictions are tough lol. If you buy a magazine that has been modified by a retailer, would they be held liable if something did happen? God forbid something happens and they decided that the mags were not "permanent" because because it was only glued, are they held liable? I would imagine they're not, then same rules would apply if we pinned it ourselves

Question, if the mag is pin/blocked to 15 does the floor plate have also be secure in place? (such as by glue or weld...)

All the blocked mags that I've encountered were riveted or pinned and have some kind of glue... based on my limited experience.

ok...

the STATE has stated that a mag that is TEMPORARILY modified does NOT satisfy the rules..

it states that a mag that has been temporarily modded is STILL a large cap mag..

Right, but is there any concrete guideline as to what constitutes "permanence"?

Freakin NJ :(

Right, but is there any concrete guideline as to what constitutes "permanence"?

Freakin NJ :(

nope... 

best case scenario it will never matter...

worst case scenario will involve a prosecutor demonstrating to a jury that your mags still are capable of more than 15 rounds.. 

Not sure that there's ever been a definitive answer on that.

The word that seems to stick is "permanent"

If the mag is PERMANENTLY pinned/blocked @ 15, you should be fine.

All the vendor sourced mags I've had have been blocked, with the baseplate permanently attached.

Not sure if just a pin or rivet are legit?

FWIW, PK90 has blocks to install into mags for sale on his site.

http://www.colddeadhands.com/accessories.html

anyone here do a mod with these and care to elaborate? I've got access to a lot of usgi 30's....

How about if you take them apart? Then it's just a pile of parts.

IMO NO..

NJ says this...

large capacity mags are illegal..

large capacity mags ONLY stop being large capacity mags if they are modified permanently.. 

disassembly is NOT a permanent modification.. 

IMO I would not even roll those dice.. 

I'm pretty sure they're illegal even if you take them apart. There's a reason manufacturers and retailers don't sell rebuilds to nj resident but do to commiefornians..

If your determined to mod your mag yourself, find a friend in PA, fix your mags appropriately and go out shooting, make a day of it... Just saying

curious if the following method would be considered permeant and non-reversible.

saw a guy did it on youtube for his AK mag.

he measured a piece of wood, use it as the base.  he then count the coil of the spring and and cut it, put them together and assembled the mag.  then pin it or glue it.

this way, if it was ever disassembled, due to the cut spring, it will not function as a mag at all since the spring was cut.

Nope..while people DO buy the "Rebuild Kits" under the assumption that if it isnt assembled it isnt a Mag, it's still a violation of the law.  Wil it MATTER?  Probably 999 out of 1000 times..it would never be an issue..but there are no garauntees that the Post Office or UPS wont Gorilla the package, see the Mag "Rebuild Kits" and call the PD.  Caveat Emptor.

curious if the following method would be considered permeant and non-reversible.

he measured a piece of wood, use it as the base.  he then count the coil of the spring and and cut it, put them together and assembled the mag.  then pin it or glue it.

this way, if it was ever disassembled, due to the cut spring, it will not function as a mag at all since the spring was cut.

MY opinion is that that Should be fine...however im not a Persecutor so my opinion doesnt mean diddly..their argument would be that all it would take is a spring to make yout mag once again a "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding device"  Sadly it's hard to use the "Reasonable" Standard when the guy making the call is most likely a rabid Anti.

curious if the following method would be considered permeant and non-reversible.

he measured a piece of wood, use it as the base. he then count the coil of the spring and and cut it, put them together and assembled the mag. then pin it or glue it.

It might look good if it was ever questioned but cutting the spring just screams reliability issues to me. Again, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure anytime you cut or alter the spring it affects reliably.