Mreed731

Battery operated gun safe opinions

My main safe has a battery-powered keypad. It is supposed to have a special LED sequence to tell you the battery is running low. I am still on the original battery for 5 years now, opening it daily. I can see no cons to it at this time.

At least some (Stack-on, maybe?) let you remove the battery-operated keypad and use a big honkin' key to open the safe if the keypad fails.

I agree, my perception of combination locks is that they are more secure (don't know if that is factually correct or not), but you can get the keypad models open a lot faster!

I have a Mesa safe. It has a battery powered keypad with a battery status indicator. The actual keypad uses very little juice. In the rare event the battery does die or the keypad malfunctions, there is a hidden key port which will open the safe when using the safe key.

As others have said, the batteries last a long time, and they all have keys for "just in case".  That said there is no law that says you can't wire in an AC adapter if you don't want to rely on the batteries.

I think you are much better off with these quick open keypads or biometrics than with a traditional mechanical dial that you have to turn "left-right-left" in the dark under a high stress situation.

On my Liberty, as the primary batter starts to run down, you get a blinking light to warn you. Even if it dies completely, there is a battery back up that lasts for thirty days I believe. I've never needed it though, and I routinely enter my safe multiple times a day.

My main safe has a battery-powered keypad. It is supposed to have a special LED sequence to tell you the battery is running low. I am still on the original battery for 5 years now, opening it daily. I can see no cons to it at this time.

Same for me and I have two of them. keep keys on my car/home keychain too.

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barska-AX11644-Multi-Access-Small-Biometric-Keypad-Safe-/390576203093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af027e555

I think I got it for $163 including shipping.  Works very well and has lots of room.

Reed. Your dilemma is not what is the best aafe. The question is which is most important, access during a HD scenario, or 100% keeping them locked up awy from kids and teenagers from tampering with it

As you research you will find out the pros and cons an there are many great threads here in it

Good point. I have had a HD gun in my nightstand since 1982, it has never been locked. Recently I got married again and there are two very responsible teenagers in the house. Even though they are level headed and responsible they are still teenagers and they did not grow up with guns like mine did. So, the purpose of the safe would be to protect them, and their friends when the wife and I are away, from themselves.

I have 2 different boxes for single and 1 to 2 pistols. The first is a simplex box with a hydraulic lift door from FAS1 and the other a Digisafe biometric.

First the FAS1, the simplex lock works very well and the box itself is very well made. The hydraulic door lifts with a very smooth assist and can handle any handgun. It also comes with an attached holster (optional) for medium and large with or without a tac-light. Highly recommend.

Next the Digiswipe, another very well made pistol box. This one uses a finger print reader. It can store up to 10 unique prints. It can also hold 2 maybe even 3 handguns. The box also comes with a key in case of dead battery and has a low batt indicator. I tested with non-stored digits and the door does not open. The door also opens with a release that appears to be spring operated. There is a YouTube video that goes through many biometric gun boxes am this one was reviewed as the clear winner. Was it biased? Can't say with certainty. In any case I am a fan.

Jut to recap, both are made with at least 16 gauge steel all around. The FAS1 maybe a bit thicker. FAS1 around 270 in a magnum size with tac light holster. The Digiswipe around 330. Both prices include the shipping cost.

Even though it looks like you made a good choice, Be careful of some of those bunker hill type $40 boxes. If you hit the top left of the safe with your fist and turn the knob milliseconds after, it opens right up. Has to do with the weak springs they use to hold the bolt up.

The Barksa looks like it uses the same mechanism.

I showed this to some employees at Cabelas last month. Got a great reaction.

A minor downside to the FAS1 is that is does not come pre-drilled with holes. Some may want to drill the holes themselves, but I would have preferred if it came with. BTW, the Digiswipe does come with pre-drilled holes on the bottom and has a design-shape similar to the Fort Knox Pistol Box.

I think you are much better off with these quick open keypads or biometrics than with a traditional mechanical dial that you have to turn "left-right-left" in the dark under a high stress situation.

I use a cheap solution to "in the dark" issue: my bore light has a magnet on the back so I just stick on the door of the safe when I'm not using it with the light pointed at the dial. Works great to open the safe without turning on the closet light.

Mine last about a year then I start to get the door sticking when trying to open. Big indicator the batteries are dying.

Mine last a MONTH then do that, but my closet is like a meat locker. COLD. That probably kills batteries. 

I want to mod it to use an AC adapter but I am thinking of getting a mechanical pistol box to secure my 3AM SHTF handgun. 

My #1 criteria is something the kids can't accidentally open. Yes, I will teach them daddy's guns are here, don't touch etc but I want to be doubly sure.