henrym

38 Special Starting Load Squib

Had a weird thing happen to me the other day.

Using data from Hodgdon, a 158gr HSM plated bullet, 3.2 Grains (starting load of 3.1 grains) of win 231 @ 1.475", CCI 500 Primer caused a squib. I was working up a load so i hand weighed every powder charge.

Any insight? Im not new to reloading but this one has me baffled.

bad primer? or damp powder? 3.2 grains of 231 is not a squib load!! The only other thing I can think of is the powder was all up against the bullet base and none was down on the case head. The primer went off and the flame didn't reach powder until well towards the case mouth/bullet base. Other than that I'm stumped. 

Oh one more thing, are you sure you had a good solid roll crimp on the bullet inside the cannelure? If not gas would escape and you would loose a lot of pressure. 

Had to be bad ignition --  Bum Primer is my bet or wet powder like suggested

How about a clogged flash hole??  Any chance of a piece of media in there?

No way you should have had a squib with that powder charge...

Given all the clues, sounds like a piece of media blocking the flash hole.

Do you visually check each piece of brass for a clear flash hole prior to priming it?

I normally dont, but it seems like i am going to be doing that from now on. If im going to make depriming another step im just going to start using steel media.

Given all the clues, sounds like a piece of media blocking the flash hole.

Do you visually check each piece of brass for a clear flash hole prior to priming it?

I normally dont, but it seems like i am going to be doing that from now on. If im going to make depriming another step im just going to start using steel media.

I'm confused now.

Do you load on a Progressive setup or a Single Stage press?

.38spl is a straight walled cartridge, so the extra steps (lube, delube, etc) in loading bottleneck cartridges are not necessary.

On a Progressive, station 1 deprimes (clearing the flash hole, by definition) and reprimes, therefore clear flash hole.

On a single stage (with carbide sizing die), no need to tumble after depriming, therefore clear flash hole.

Can you describe your reloading technique, step by step, so we can all learn from the issue you encountered.

Thanks!

Steel media will also get caught in the flash hole....just not to the extent dry media does.

Out of the 120 7mm08 brass I've cleaned, I've had to pull pins from 3 or 4 cases.

Your just using the original, small sized media...

I've never had a piece of steel get caught anywhere -- I use .062 x .495 media

I'm confused now.

Do you load on a Progressive setup or a Single Stage press?

.38spl is a straight walled cartridge, so the extra steps (lube, delube, etc) in loading bottleneck cartridges are not necessary.

On a Progressive, station 1 deprimes (clearing the flash hole, by definition) and reprimes, therefore clear flash hole.

On a single stage (with carbide sizing die), no need to tumble after depriming, therefore clear flash hole.

Can you describe your reloading technique, step by step, so we can all learn from the issue you encountered.

Thanks!

Its a dillon 550 progressive.

Step 1 deprime resize. Check flash hole before seating new primer.

Step 2 powder drop

Step 3 remove filled case weigh charge and determine if its within spec

step 4 seat bullet

step 5 crimp

Ive loaded countless 40 this way without any problem.