Sign in to follow this  
John Boy

Guide to the National Instant Check System

Too bad it doesn't really work this way....

My state has a permit-to-purchase system. What can I expect under the NICS system?

Permits that meet the criteria established by BATF will exempt purchasers from a NICS check at the point-of-sale, and handgun permits that meet the criteria will be accepted for long gun purchases.

The fact that the NJ permit system has been required to incorporate a NICS check into the permit system means you should be exempt.From the NICS at the FFL. However, if they did this NJ wouldn't be able to collect their fee.

FFL, FBI or NJSP do not have duty to advise you of your rights under the law, except to Mirandize you.

Every FID issued less than 5 years old falls under paragraph (3) of 922(t).

If S2723 goes in effect, every embedded FID is less than 5 years old.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if -
(A)(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that -
(I) allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law;