Sludog

Why no Cabela's store in NJ?

I was wondering why Cabela's does not have a store in NJ. They do sell other outdoor products other than guns. Their is a ton of outdoor activities and places to go and do them in our state. I know that NJ is one of the least gun friendly state in America and maybe this answers my topic question. Is gun sales and accessories their biggest sales margins and profit? I feel they are losing out on millions of dollars in business not putting a store in NJ. 

From what I understand, the problem for Cabelas in NJ is store layout. Essentially, all Cabelas retail locations have the same footprint, with ammo accessible in a general location. Additionally, they have a particular way of displaying certain used guns and muzzleloaders. NJ law required Cabelas to have ammo and all guns behind a counter, with no access to the public. Cabelas wouldn't change their store layout. I can't say I blame them. It works in every other state, and the redesign would have been costly with really no sales benefit to the store. 

Probably for the same reason there are no Klu Klux Klan chapters in Uganda. :)

This.

New Jersey has the second lowest rate of gun ownership after Hawaii.  Not enough market here for a gun superstore like that.  They'd do well during a craze like this but with normal business (people shopping locally for what they need) they'd be struggling.  Also, with the climate changing and all this legislation on the table, this isn't a supportive place for FFLs.

Don't worry cabelas Delaware opening 2014

Yea, I know. It would be nice to have a store in NJ to shake up some of the rip off shops gouging residents on guns and ammo. For example $99 for 325 rounds of Federal .22 LR. Come on really? 

That thought died with Xanadu in the Meadowlands a while ago.

http://billbuczakblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/turning-xanadu-into-meadowlands-mall.html

(It was rumored that they would not sell guns there.)

What ever happened with that monstrosity? Last I heard many of the shops that were going to be there backed out when the report came out that the land is terribly contaminated.

I just heard there is a new developer planning on restarting xanadu. Hopefully they fix the outside first

Triple Five took over the project. Same developers as Mall of America. Coming fall 2013 with a new paint job.

http://www.americandream.com/

What ever happened with that monstrosity? Last I heard many of the shops that were going to be there backed out when the report came out that the land is terribly contaminated.

Still unopened, but it's getting bigger! (Something that could only happen in New Jersey.)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/sports_authority_approved_amer.html

To quote another article back in March;

"Almost as remarkable is the tortuous path it has taken, a 10-year odyssey that has included four governors, multiple developers and the staunch opposition of two NFL franchises."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/07/work-to-resume-soon-on-american-dream-megamall-in-meadowlands/

Cabelas arent going to be in A hurry to come to NJ. Just like Bass Pro Shops.  They had A hiring page up for the supposed Atlantic City store. Its long gone. Nothing much is being said abouth that store anymore. Lets face it A company that is deep into all sporting goods, And with A large amoumt of firearms related product. Just really has no reason to open here and live by NJ's non 2A attitude. Much less the restrictions that would be imposed on them by this State. Why does Walmart have A no Ammo sales policy in NJ? Because Walmart does not deal with stupidity!   They set their own rules from telling towns what they will do. All the way down to many illegal employment process's.

Bass Pro or Cabelas would be nice, But given A choice, Go to AC, or to DE. Sorry I'm heading to De. and I think most people would agree.

Cabelas arent going to be in A hurry to come to NJ. Just like Bass Pro Shops.  They had A hiring page up for the supposed Atlantic City store. Its long gone. Nothing much is being said abouth that store anymore. Lets face it A company that is deep into all sporting goods, And with A large amoumt of firearms related product. Just really has no reason to open here and live by NJ's non 2A attitude. Much less the restrictions that would be imposed on them by this State. Why does Walmart have A no Ammo sales policy in NJ? Because Walmart does not deal with stupidity!   They set their own rules from telling towns what they will do. All the way down to many illegal employment process's.

Bass Pro or Cabelas would be nice, But given A choice, Go to AC, or to DE. Sorry I'm heading to De. and I think most people would agree.

A storefinder search will note that there are no Cabela stores in California or New York. Hmmm.........will they ever come to New Jersey? I don't think so for the reasons you cited.

(I know my friends in lower NY will travel to the CT store for things.)

The retail profit on firearms is slim - the real business is in accessories (targets, cleaning supplies, bullets, cases, scopes, etc.). So I'm guessing Cabela's studied the market and assumed that one store in PA is close enough. And there's a Bass Pro in MD.

First, Cabelas already ships here. I know, because I buy a lot of things from them. 

Second, what can a Cabela's retail location in NJ offer - beyond what REI, CampMor, Dick's, and Sport's Authority already offer?

"Hunting equipment accounted for 44.1% of Cabela’s merchandise revenue in the first nine months of 2012. That’s $763 million out of $1.7 billion. Breaking that down further, gun and ammunition sales were approximately $398 million, or 52%, of overall hunting equipment revenue."

Cabela's was overreaching in their thoughts to come to New Jersey. What were they going to sell, the "experience" for shopping at Big C? An REI, Campmor, ROS, Dick's or SA suits the New Jersey outdoor enthusiast just fine.

From what I understand, the problem for Cabelas in NJ is store layout. Essentially, all Cabelas retail locations have the same footprint, with ammo accessible in a general location. Additionally, they have a particular way of displaying certain used guns and muzzleloaders. NJ law required Cabelas to have ammo and all guns behind a counter, with no access to the public. Cabelas wouldn't change their store layout. I can't say I blame them. It works in every other state, and the redesign would have been costly with really no sales benefit to the store. 

This is the same thing I heard from a Cabela's employe at the Hamburg, PA location.

I think a Bass Pro shop is coming to Sayrevilw/Parlin ..off GSP next to Driscoll bridge.. Theyve been working on the site every day..

I have heard of Bass Pro but never shopped there. Any good deals there?

I would imagine that they are cabelas biggest competitor.

I was wondering why Cabela's does not have a store in NJ. They do sell other outdoor products other than guns. Their is a ton of outdoor activities and places to go and do them in our state. I know that NJ is one of the least gun friendly state in America and maybe this answers my topic question. Is gun sales and accessories their biggest sales margins and profit? I feel they are losing out on millions of dollars in business not putting a store in NJ. 

Actually, NO they aren't losing any business.  There just not getting it "all".  There is simple economics at play here.  There are only so many outdoor enthusiasts.   You could build a Cabela's in every County of NJ and business would't budge much, since there's only just so much disposable income available to the stream of money flowing to stores for sporting goods.  It's called "market share".  A finite number of customers results in a finite number or transactions, so in order for a Cabela's to do good, some other brick & mortar operation has to LOOSE customers.  Do you really want most of the Mom and Pops closing due to folks who would rather buy via mail-order anyway??  

One more thing--IF a big box store puts a retail location in NJ, ALL of that company's mail-orders to NJ are then subject to the 7% state sales tax!  Even a warehouse distribution center will cause a state audit along with mandatory sales tax collection for all NJ-delivered mail orders!

There's only just "so many" of us to go around!

Dave

Think of it this way. They open a cabelas in nj. They can then only sell guns to nj residents. Or they open one in del and they can sell em to nj residents plus everyone else.

Nj gun laws just cost the state jobs and tax money