junkmanted

old hobby and getting back into it

Years ago i was big into clocks and watches , I use to pass by the running ones and just pick up the non runners..

Old pocket watches was my favorite, I still have maybe 20 or so at one point was up to 50 .

Clocks who knows I still have some packed up from the move. not pictured that I know of a large Chelsea ships  clock from 1910 , a shelf clock from 1780 with wood gears, and a Russian ships chronometer. 

The gingerbread clock on the desk dated 1910, I just picked up for 80 bucks they wanted 175 for it :)  gave it a cleaning and oiling and its been running all night, today i will put it back together.

Thinking of taking a break from collecting guns and get back into this. It was very relaxing and no one wanted to ban them :)

The roll top I pulled out of a old print shop 20 years ago and re finished it.  

0517031740_zps92f79e2a.jpg

Clocks are a cool thing to collect, my grandmother had a few cookoos from Germany and Switzerland. When she moved last September I was hoping to get them, but my aunt who takes everything snatched them up too.

This also reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/8bnjAC9jzUo

That's really cool. You should check out the meadowlands flea market in Saturday mornings. I see quite a few old pocket watches and clocks. Not to mention hundreds of used police glock holsters.

I always thought there was only toys and tube socks there 

I have a customer who used to repair and rebuild all kinds of clocks.  He has a room in his basement that scares the hell out of me.  There are clocks and clock pieces absolutly everywhere.  Its like the twilight zone or something.  I dont know what it is about that many clocks and pieces that creeps me out.  Kinda weird isnt it?!

Ken

I have a customer who used to repair and rebuild all kinds of clocks.  He has a room in his basement that scares the hell out of me.  There are clocks and clock pieces absolutly everywhere.  Its like the twilight zone or something.  I dont know what it is about that many clocks and pieces that creeps me out.  Kinda weird isnt it?!

Ken

if it was a doll repair shop ,, now that would be weird

Ken

LOL.  Might have something to do with time standing still.

I always thought there was only toys and tube socks there

That's one side of it, the far side is estate and garage sale, antiques, etc. I occasionally find reloading supplies or ammo. I pick up straight edge razors, antique cameras, old Star Wars toys, records, tools, projectors, 8mm films...all kinds of crap.

I got a chill at the thought of that

Me too.  A doll repair shop would be even weirder.  I would love to post a pic of the clock repairshop basement but I would never do that to one of my customers.  Y'all will just have to take my word for it that its is freaking weird!

Ken

I'm chuckling since my other hobby is watches. I've recently sold off a couple to fund my new interest in firearms. So I'm going in reverse.

I think it's the same interest in mechanics and tradition that pull me to both "hobbies".

Enjoy! I'm looking for a vintage pocket watch conversion for my collection ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I think that you are an incredibly irresponsible individual.

There is no reason anybody needs to own so many clocks.  To top it off, you have these clocks hanging precariously on the wall where they could fall and injure a child.

I will be in touch with Assemblyman Greenwald tomorrow... :maninlove:

But seriously, it's nice to see some of the stuff that other people do besides guns.