Johnk-NJ

Can NJ residents still bring an AR into NY to a range?

Nope. Not now or ever unless the law is struck down.

Even a 10/22 with a thumb-hole stock is now considered an "assault weapon" by SAFE Act definition.

So guys from NJ have stopped bringing ARs in NY to shoot? I would think we have till next April at least.

I thought you could load 10 at the range but only 7 elsewhere. 

This even applies to manually-operated arms. (I.E. if you have a lever-action .44 Mag., you can only load seven in the magazine.)

From the NY SAFE website:

While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations.

So guys from NJ have stopped bringing ARs in NY to shoot? I would think we have till next April at least.

Residents get a bye since they have until next year to register their "firearm." Only residents can register so as to be compliant. As a non-resident, your ability to enter the state with any firearm that fits the SAFE Act criteria as an assault weapon ceased 1/15/2013. Here's another catch:

An AR-clone, based on the wording in the SAFE Act, is now classified as a "firearm". Prior to SAFE, the legal definition of a "firearm" did not include everyday ordinary long guns. It is illegal to transport a loaded firearm inside a vehicle without a permit. An appeals court has defined loaded as possessing a "quantity of ammunition sufficient to discharge the firearm". That's right, that statement refers to simply "possessing" the ammo, enough to discharge the firearm, which means ONE round/cartridge.

Therefore, it is now illegal to transport a firearm and ammo (whether 1 cartridge or 100 cartridges) in the same vehicle. You are technically violating a law when driving to the range with your .223 ammo and AR-clone.

This info was provided by Max Tresmond, one of the principal attorneys involved in representing gunowners in the NY SAFE Act lawsuit. You can find this same blurb on NY hunting forums, the Long Island forum, NY's Highpower link,  and AR15.com.

The SAFE Act is insidious. Yes, there were some mistakes early on (magazine capacity affecting LE) but if you review it in full content, it's designed to do what it is designed to do. So far, without any changes, anything that resembles an "assault weapon" by definition will be out of the law-abiding gun-owner usage pool within a generation. The plan is very clear.

From the NY SAFE website:

While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations.

Correct. At a "recognized" range.

Plus, even before, you can only bring your guns to a sanctioned match, such as an NRA match..... Correct me if i am wrong.

Correct. This exemption still holds.

What New York did with the Safe Act was re-categorize certain weapons. Rifles and shotguns were never classified as firearms and are still not classified as firearms and therefore fall under different possession & transport rules. Handguns, NFA defined SBR's & SBS's and now SAFE Act definitions for "assault weapons" all fall under the firearm category and therefore need to be registered.

As a non-resident you cannot register any arm in New York. The design is simple. No AW's can enter New York anymore, or be bought or sold by NY residents, and there is now a finite time for how long they can be in possession by residents. There is no clause yet for "competition" or "sanctioned match" for AW's like there is for handguns. Folks are hoping for such. But, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, the law is insidious. They knew exactly what they were doing when they scripted this. 

Long story short; if you travel to NY with one I think you are at peril and will be testing uncharted waters if you are caught.

I wonder how many will register their ar's

That is the $64 question.

If you recall, post-Sandy Hook and pre-SAFE Act, Cuomo broached the idea of a turn-in (confiscation) of 'assault weapons' in New York, admitting that they should/would compensate the owners equitably. The reality that there was more (by conservative estimates) than a million such weapons in circulation in the state dulled that idea quickly. And it's not just AR's, it's all the old M1 carbines, M14/M1A's, AK's, Franchi SPAS-12 and Benelli semi-auto's, plus fifteen, twenty and thirty-round magazines, etc.  that were allowed to be grandfathered without registration in the last ban that are still floating around. (BTW - per the SAFE Act, high-capacity magazines need to be individually registered!)

I was supposed to go upstate this weekend with some friends that have property up there and do some handgun shooting and shotgun skeet in their backyard. With all of the new laws and safe act. Forget it not worth the risk. Not bringing the guns plus at this point I am not even going to go.