Adam

Active Shooter situation Hazlet NJ

Ongoing, drove through the start of it on the way home.. area on lockdown now.. but of course idiots on the streets.. JEAVY police presence.

On scene RUMOR is former NYPD officer involved.

Photos at the link

http://holmdel-hazlet.patch.com/articles/law-enforcement-converge-on-west-keansburg-neighborhood

Police Converge on West Keansburg Neighborhood

The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office confirmed they are at the scene but details about the nature of the incident were not available.

By Jacklyn Corley and Christina Johnson | 7:51 pm

Authorities have gathered at the scene of a West Keansburg neighborhood near Laurel Avenue and 4th Street.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office Public Information Officer Charles Webster confirmed law enforcement are in the Hazlet area. Information on the nature of the incident were not immediately available.

Laurel Avenue is closed between 7th and 2nd Street. Homes have been evacuated.

Anthony Chiappone of Hazlet said he was passing through the area around 7:30 p.m. when he noticed the Monmouth County Mobile Command Center set up, and police officers coming in cars from places like Manalapan, Ocean Freehold and Wall Township, as well as Hazlet Township. "I started seeing guys walking down the street in body armor," he said. "There's definitely at least 20, not counting all the regular police."

This is a developing story. Patch will have more information as it becomes available.

But news reports are conflicting though. No hostages? 

http://www.app.com/article/20130519/NJNEWS/305190066/Report-Person-possibly-armed-barricaded-Hazlet-home

Just what warranted sharp shooters? There were sharp shooters on the roof of people's homes waiting for this guy to come out. 

Retired police officer? Hmm. SOmeone said he was ex "NY police." I assume that means NYPD. 

Anyway glad it's over. Hazlet, Keansburg, whatever... lol

So we have an "active shooter" with no shots fired?

Man was arrested because he wouldn't leave his house?

Thousands spent on men and equipment, but yet no crime.

Ain't a police state great?

I think shots were fired earlier in the day.... So who the hell knows. Fortunately it ended with no one hurt but their egos.

So we have an "active shooter" with no shots fired?

Man was arrested because he wouldn't leave his house?

Thousands spent on men and equipment, but yet no crime.

Ain't a police state great?

Who labeled this an active shooter?

How do you think this should have been handled?

Based on the reports that are currently available the subject that was arrested because he commited numerous crimes, specifically by threatening his family with a firearm during a domestic violence incident and possibly firing rounds off.

If not handled by the men trained to respond to Active Shooter/Barricaded Person/Hostage Rescue who should have handled it?

Police State? Seriously?

Police reported no shots fired so I believe no shots were fired. See second app link 3rd paragraph.

How should it have been handled? How should what have neen handled?

A man in his own house, DOES NOT fire any shots, no report of hostage in news story.

So what crime was commited? Never mind what violent crime was commited that required SWAT?

Why were police there at all?

High exp, you seem to have info not in the report care to share sources?

Police reported no shots fired so I believe no shots were fired.

How should it have been handled? How should what have neen handled?

A man in his own house, DOES NOT fire any shots, no report of hostage in news story.

So what crime was commited? Never mind what violent crime was commited that required SWAT?

Police reported that no shots were fired during the "incident" (which I interpret as the time the police were involved), not that there were no shots fired at all. Neighbors reported hearing gunshots earlier in the evening, that is what prompted the Police response.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2013/05/authorities_one_in_custody_after_hazlet_standoff.html

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said he was working on his car when he heard about four gunshots. He said he thought the man who lives two houses down from him was hunting squirrels because the shots were not consecutive, but rather about 15 minutes apart.

As far as why SWAT - just look around the threads in this forum alone from the past few days. In one thread regarding an armed bad guy/hostage situation it's "Cops need more training to handle that situation." and "Not all Cops should have guns" Now when there is another armed guy/possible hostage situation it is "Why is SWAT needed for this?" Make up your minds.

Cops respond to calls for service as they are reported by witnesses and complainants. They tailor their responses based on the information they have before the call is over. Not after the investigation is complete and a supervisor checks off on their reports.

In NY the other day a Patrol Officer responded to a possible home intruder. That call turned into a Hostage Situation and unfortunately a civilian lost their life. This call reportedly came in as shots fired. The Cops played it cautiously, they had time as the situation turned static so they called in the guys with the training in the event this turned into something more. SWAT and Negotiators rolled in and the situation ended with no one getting hurt.

Also, I don't know of many negotiators that will respond to a barricaded person call without a tactical team in support. I know we don't let out "Talkers" do anything without shooters (less lethal and lethal force options) nearby.

Why were police there at all?

I thought you knew. I figured you were there the way you were second guessing what happened and the Police response. I guess we will have to wait and see before jumping to conclusions and crying foul...

Edited to reflect PeteF's edited post

Edited by High Exposure

Well HighExp you seem to know exactly what happened. The police who WERE there, say no shots fired. But they must be wrong because a neighbor heard a loud noise. Maybe a backfiing lawnmower?

No reports of any charges or even any accusations, but somehow you feel that a SWAT response is needed.

You need to take your law enforcement can do no wrong glasses off.

When LE does the right thing they should be applauded. But when they screwup they should be called to task.

Yeah. Big screw up. They showed up in force to be ready for any situation. Thankfully they weren't needed. Had they been needed and delayed response until they were certain then you would be saying" see, the cops take forever to show up, they can't help you" . Its a no win with people like you.

No charges filed. Home alone. Taken to hospital.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2013/05/authorities_no_charges_planned_for_man_in_hazlet_standoff.html#incart_river_default

Found 1 shotgun in house.

Please explain again why swat was required.

Please explain why surrounding houses were evacuated.

Complete over reaction.