iRescue

Best 1911 in $600-900 range

Looking for my first 1911.

My budget is $600-900 or so.

It would mainly be a range gun but I'm looking for something very reliable.

I've been looking at:

Springfield Armory Range Officer

Para Elite Target

Ruger SR1911

Remington R1 Enhanced

Sig Scorpion

Which one of these would you buy? Are there others I should consider?

I'm going to check out some if these guns this week when I'm off.

Looking for my first 1911. My budget is $600-900 or so. It would mainly be a range gun but I'm looking for something very reliable. I've been looking at:Springfield Armory Range Officer Para Elite Target Ruger SR1911 Remington R1 Enhanced Sig ScorpionWhich one of these would you buy? Are there others I should consider? I'm going to check out some if these guns this week when I'm off.

I had a very similar list and ended up with the Remington R1 Enhansed.

The sights are really great and its very easy to shoot.

If you want to shoot it let me know.

Like Blue line said, also add Rock Island to the list.

Maks - 45ACP is the caliber I'm looking at.

You guys are right. I'm reading a lot of good things about RIA.

Taurus or RIA? Which models? I'm looking at RIA tactical. Who usually stocks these around here?

I'll probably end up getting a Colt, Sig and all the other fancy 1911 at some point in my life.

Right now I just want to get started in the platform and see if I like it. Also want to mess around with swapping in some parts to make it my own. Would rather do that with a cheaper gun.

Like I said, while it won't be my primary HD gun, I'd like it to be reliable.

Any further recommendations / insight would be very helpful..

If you on a short time frame, I've heard many good things about the RIA.

On the other hand if you have a few months to read people's opinions I've found lots of good information here: http://forums.1911forum.com/

If you're going to "mess around with swapping parts" you'll want to make sure you either have a mil-spec platform or can find parts easily otherwise. For example, my Springfield has a non standard firing pin, but it's a .38 Super pin (IIRC) and you can still find them everywhere.

FYI... the Magnun Research Desert Eagle 1911 is a scremaing deal in the $700 range. Three things that really make it stand out at this price, beveled magewell, trigger guard is machined for a high hand grip and no fps.

It will be my next 1911

What about the SR1911?  The stainless Commander looks nice and has a lot of features.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

Are the RIA's generally mil spec as far as parts?

All I'd really want to switch if anything would be (controls and grips)

I think I'm leaning toward an RIA or Remington and adding what I like.

Are the RIA's generally mil spec as far as parts?

All I'd really want to switch if anything would be (controls and grips)

I think I'm leaning toward an RIA or Remington and adding what I like.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=405373

Grips you're GTG.

Controls? As in safety and slide stop? Those parts usually require fitting on ANY gun so figure you're going to have to do some work.

If controls = ignition controls, then that's even more work.

I handeled a few in that price range before I chose the RO by Springfield. Love the gun did have a problem with the roll pin on the rear sight drifting out. Sent it to Springfield and they replaced the whole sight so good customer service as they are known for

I had a very similar list and ended up with the Remington R1 Enhansed.

The sights are really great and its very easy to shoot.

If you want to shoot it let me know

Like Blue line said, also add Rock Island to the list.

Same here,love it

Did you check out the marketplace on this forum? There is nice Remington 1911 and a Colt 45 for sale within you budget. Also save on taxes and waiting three weeks for NICS check.

I was thinking of making a move for the Colt as my first 1911 but I really want a revolver first.

Did you check out the marketplace on this forum? There is nice Remington 1911 and a Colt 45 for sale within you budget. Also save on taxes and waiting three weeks for NICS check.

I was thinking of making a move for the Colt as my first 1911 but I really want a revolver first.

Don't wait too long.  Price isnt bad. 

I was going to buy a Remington R1 (paid for it and all), but while I was looking at it a second time, I noticed a scratch on the slide near the dust cover. I talked the guy into letting me break it down, and there was a mess inside. The frame had a huge excess chunk of metal on the inside of the dust cover left over from the casting, which they chose not to smooth out (and it was scratching the slide). Additionally, the fit was good (bushing was tight, barrel lockup was tight), but the finish was lacking (internally). The inside had a bunch of tool marks, and seemed plain sloppy in areas.

If you check 1911forum.com they have a whole thread on this gun with detailed pics and they get technical with it. The reviews I have seen have been mostly positive, so I'm not saying it's a bad gun. I'm trying to share my experience, and give you the knowledge that will make you happier with your choice.